Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

Bexiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I'm facing a problem during this process. Here is what happened:
I have a 3ds xl which was at firmware 8.2, so I downgraded via gateway to version 4.2.0.
Then I went in GW mode and forgot to format emunand before updating emunand (used a smash bros to update to 9.2).
So I bricked my 3ds, it boots with a black screen on both screens. Luckily I had made NAND backup.
What I did was to follow this tutorial soldering the 3ds motherboard and managed to make the sd card stuff, but when i boot the 3ds with the sd card inside my laptop i get this error on 3ds (both screens):
BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

And in the laptop it doesn't recognize the card, nor ask to format the drive. I have tried 3 different laptops and one sd to usb card adapter. What am I doing wrong, can someone help me please?:wacko:

Thank you.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I want to NANDmod my O3DSXL, what would I need to do it, and how would I go about doing it? I have experience soldering so that isnt a problem

So the first thing you will need is a soldering diagram 3DS-eMMC-pinout the next think you need some wire, thin as you can get, 30 AWG works well. a male and female connector that can fit your desired locations, a SD to microSD adapter as the adapter from the external connector you are adding to a compatible SD card reader. I like to use this pinout for SD adpaters. The pius that are needed, if for 1x mode is DAT0 / CMD / CLK / GND (4 pins total) for 4x you need DAT0 / DAT1 /DAT2 /DAT3 / CMD / CLK / GND (7 pins total). The difference is only read and write speeds so since the 3DS has a 1GB eMMC the 1 DAT method should work just peachy. I can post some pictures if you need any visuals :lol:

Hello, I'm facing a problem during this process. Here is what happened:
I have a 3ds xl which was at firmware 8.2, so I downgraded via gateway to version 4.2.0.
And in the laptop it doesn't recognize the card, nor ask to format the drive. I have tried 3 different laptops and one sd to usb card adapter. What am I doing wrong, can someone help me please?:wacko:

Thank you.

Not all SD card readers work unfortunately, more work on the 3DS/XL but some laptop and USB ones don't work at all. I have gotten a couple laptop ones to work in my old Lenovo but not in my other laptops or USB card readers. People have tried various ones and I still find that the Anker® USB 3.0 and TekRepublic TUC-300 Card Readers (They use the Realtek RTS5306/7 controller) work for all 3DS / XL and N3DS / XL. the eMMC's on the 3DS can be picky especially the Toshiba one on the N3DS. :unsure:

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, do you think to solder on a microsd card reader direclty would be a better idea then?
No, I just know there are certain card readers that work and other that do not. Laptop ones tend not too. I'd reommend trying to get a compatible one. If this is for the 3DS and not the N3DS then there are more options. Here are some I have tested for the 3DS and N3DS, it's not the only ones and not an exact chart as I can't say for sure they didn't switch controllers or have a firmware change that messes it up.

Not all card readers are built the same, how the controller is programmed and what electrical characteristics it has.

ad2099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
a doubt
if I update my console and then load the backup data
the updating data will remain?
eg anti exploit browser

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a doubt
if I update my console and then load the backup data
the updating data will remain?
eg anti exploit browser
If you back up your system eMMC, update, then restore it, everything will be set back to the restored image. Are you talking about the update nag?

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All I understood was that I need a SD adpter to solder the wire to, a wire, what do I need to connect it to the 3DS without having wires hanging out of it all the time? Ive seen clean nandmods that go in the wriststrap hole and they look nice haha

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I understood was that I need a SD adpter to solder the wire to, a wire, what do I need to connect it to the 3DS without having wires hanging out of it all the time? Ive seen clean nandmods that go in the wriststrap hole and they look nice haha
If this for the 3DSXL then you want a small male and female connector. What you use is up to you, some people like using simple 1.27mm headers, other like the microUSB but that has other issues like accidentally frying your system. It's up to you and what you have, there is no exact parts list but here are some random examples.
gaP1P.JPG

ha6kR.JPG

gaPdQ.JPG

gaPej.JPG

gRJQ7.JPG

This is really up to you and how you want it to look, connect and such. There are ways to hide it all, spots that may work better depending on what connector types you have. The gist of it all, is your are connecting wires to test pads, then connecting that to an female external connector. The male external connector is connected to a microSD to SD card adapter like in the pictures, and that is connected to compatible SD card reader. I'm not sure how else to explain this without more pictures I guess :unsure:

plasma

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this for the 3DSXL then you want a small male and female connector. What you use is up to you, some people like using simple 1.27mm headers, other like the microUSB but that has other issues like accidentally frying your system. It's up to you and what you have, there is no exact parts list but here are some random examples.

This is really up to you and how you want it to look, connect and such. There are ways to hide it all, spots that may work better depending on what connector types you have. The gist of it all, is your are connecting wires to test pads, then connecting that to an female external connector. The male external connector is connected to a microSD to SD card adapter like in the pictures, and that is connected to compatible SD card reader. I'm not sure how else to explain this without more pictures I guess :unsure:

Im starting to get the idea of it now, I just need:
a wire (pref 4) to solder to the board
a female microusb connector to wire up to

then for the connecter for the sd card, a male micro usb wire, that is wired/soldered to a sd to microsd adapter
and an SD card reader.

That correct?

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im starting to get the idea of it now, I just need:
a wire (pref 4) to solder to the board
a female microusb connector to wire up to

then for the connecter for the sd card, a male micro usb wire, that is wired/soldered to a sd to microsd adapter
and an SD card reader.

That correct?

Yes that sounds about right. If you want to go the microUSB route, again I am just warning you that if you or anyone else should plug a normal microUSB into in and then into anything else it will fry the 3DS eMMC and possibly processor as the pins are not 5V tolerant.

plasma

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes that sounds about right. If you want to go the microUSB route, again I am just warning you that if you or anyone else should plug a normal microUSB into in and then into anything else it will fry the 3DS eMMC and possibly processor as the pins are not 5V tolerant.

The only thing I would plug into the micro usb port is the connector id make for it haha.

I have everything but the Male Microusb header, now, where to find one of those...

ad2099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you back up your system eMMC, update, then restore it, everything will be set back to the restored image. Are you talking about the update nag?

How do I copy system eMMC

What I want to do is download the update of pokemon
but I want to continue using exploits.

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I would plug into the micro usb port is the connector id make for it haha.

I have everything but the Male Microusb header, now, where to find one of those...
Do you mean female? I just chop a normal microUSB cable for the male side.

plasma

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean female? I just chop a normal microUSB cable for the male side.

Yeah, its late here so I'm tired and get things muddled up haha. I have an old microUSB to USB wire i can just chop.
Best place to find the wire needed for this? seeing as it needs 4 - would i just strip a few different wires until I have 4 separate ones?

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, its late here so I'm tired and get things muddled up haha. I have an old microUSB to USB wire i can just chop.
Best place to find the wire needed for this? seeing as it needs 4 - would i just strip a few different wires until I have 4 separate ones?
You can use one and cut it into 4 but make sure you mark them somehow hehe. I use eBay or Amazon for 30 AWG wrapping wire. You can also find your female heads on eBay.

Bexiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, I just know there are certain card readers that work and other that do not. Laptop ones tend not too. I'd reommend trying to get a compatible one. If this is for the 3DS and not the N3DS then there are more options. Here are some I have tested for the 3DS and N3DS, it's not the only ones and not an exact chart as I can't say for sure they didn't switch controllers or have a firmware change that messes it up.

Not all card readers are built the same, how the controller is programmed and what electrical characteristics it has.

Do you think these ones
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1-PCS-USB-2-0-MicroSD-T-Flash-TF-M2-Memory-Card-Reader/32257567987.html
may work the same as this?
SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M

the datasheet in the other topic is off, can you reupload it please? Thanks

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, the
Do you think these ones
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1-PCS-USB-2-0-MicroSD-T-Flash-TF-M2-Memory-Card-Reader/32257567987.html
may work the same as this?
SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M

the datasheet in the other topic is off, can you reupload it please? Thanks
Thank you for that catch, the link has been updated. I have used the SanDisk ones one the N3DS and older 3DS, though I have to double check if they work on both N3DS eMMCs as it's been awhile. Also I wouldn't go any longer then a couple inches total, I'd say about no more then 10cm total if you can help it, if it's a little off it should be okay as this isn't a hard number or anything, just a suggestion.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
So ive got a 3ds XL that i need to downgrade back to 9.2. So basically I solder these 5 points to a wire, run the wire into a microSD card adapter, plug that into my computer, and slap my nand.bin in there?

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/File:CTR_NAND_pinout_XL.jpg

So do I solder all five points, or do I only use one of the DAT, and the DAT that I use determines write speed. Sorry if this question has been asked a million times, I was reading through the thread but im still confused.

The thing im most concerned about is creating the port, i dont want to wreck the actual case (Yoshi special edition), is there a simpler way i could have a permanent install, without having to cut into my case?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup