Hacking Mocha CFW Hangs on Boot. Any Way to Restore? Help!

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread but @Hardgrapes, that's the best noob question thread I ever read. Explained everything you did really thoroughly, no blame or annoying emotionalness, well written (in terms of English), and though long, not at all painful to read (even go so far as to call it entertaining).
I agree. I like helping level headed users like @Hardgrapes . Easy to help when they aren't hormonal raging teenagers

Hardgrapes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry all, real life/responsibly enjoying the disk games that came with my Wii U has kept me away from reattempting this project.

This is a somewhat pointless bump just to say I will be attempting the mod again soon. (Read: probably late next month.)

Best option is just to install Haxchi, then Brazilian method to install games on hard disk. Follow Kafluke's guide linked above, which is trustworthy. You can keep Loadiine if you want, it's useful for small games and VC, it loads them fast and doesn't make your installed games count go up. You will need two seperate hard disks, if you want to also use Wii/Gamecube games.

Thanks for the info and indeed for the source of the question for piggybacking on my post! I personally had hoped to rely on this giant-seeming 128 GB SD card for all my software backup needs, but I suppose I will ultimately need to also incorporate an external HDD in my final setup to hold games that can't be held on FAT format disk space. And I would like to play Wii/GC games as well. Can Wii U power an HDD over USB? Is, say 1 TB enough for Wii U purposes and 500 GB for Wii U/GC?

I'm sure it will all be well worth the investment of time/money in the end.

I know this is an old thread but @Hardgrapes, that's the best noob question thread I ever read. Explained everything you did really thoroughly, no blame or annoying emotionalness, well written (in terms of English), and though long, not at all painful to read (even go so far as to call it entertaining).

Thank you, good sir. As I said, I work in technical writing so it pains me greatly when people don't explain themselves well. I also felt my situation was somewhat unique (from the 2-3 hours research a noob could bear to spend investigating an issue that did at the time threaten to make me emotional), and warranting the effort of posting. Finally I knew that whoever would help me would ultimately be doing so for no reward so I thought I may as well but the time into it.

Last edited by Hardgrapes,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can Wii U power an HDD over USB? Is, say 1 TB enough for Wii U purposes and 500 GB for Wii U/GC?
From what I've read from other users here, the Wii U doesn't provide enough current to properly use an external HD that doesn't have its own power supply. You would need what they call a Y cable to use both USB ports to power such a hard disk. I only use externally powered HDs, so I'm fine. As for the size of the HD you would need for Wii/GC, it really depends on what you want to install. If you want the whole collection (or close to it) a 2TB would be barely enough. A 1TB would be fine if you want to install only what's worth playing.

edit: For clarification: 1TB is more than enough for Wii U games. As for the other HD to use with Wii/GC the above statement stands.

Last edited by Dust2dust,

Hardgrapes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I've read from other users here, the Wii U doesn't provide enough current to properly use an external HD that doesn't have its own power supply. You would need what they call a Y cable to use both USB ports to power such a hard disk. I only use externally powered HDs, so I'm fine. As for the size of the HD you would need for Wii/GC, it really depends on what you want to install. If you want the whole collection (or close to it) a 2TB would be barely enough. A 1TB would be fine if you want to install only what's worth playing.

edit: For clarification: 1TB is more than enough for Wii U games. As for the other HD to use with Wii/GC the above statement stands.

Gotcha, so assuming selective backing up, two 1TB HDD, either both powered by AC or one by both USB ports and one by AC. I assume the difference in formatting necessitates both drives rather than one big drive with two partitions?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gotcha, so assuming selective backing up, two 1TB HDD, either both powered by AC or one by both USB ports and one by AC. I assume the difference in formatting necessitates both drives rather than one big drive with two partitions?
Yes, two hard drives, powered as you mentioned, or both externally powered. Partitioning will not work, as the Wii U format wants the whole drive for itself, so no sharing space with WII/Gamecube.

Hardgrapes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, two hard drives, powered as you mentioned, or both externally powered. Partitioning will not work, as the Wii U format wants the whole drive for itself, so no sharing space with WII/Gamecube.

OK thanks. I am short on power sockets, so either I daisy-chain power strips or use a y-cable and swap hard drives based on what backups I am using. I suppose. I'll do me some price comparisons

Hardgrapes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Back to my old haphazard bumbling! (Minus the brick-risk, hopefully...) Can anyone shed some light on my current situation?

According to Kafluke's guide linked to me in a previous post, I can install games using WUPdater without first installing CFW (whether the installed game is playable on SFW or not is a different story). I attempted this with a game, but the install failed due to some sort of issue with the files I placed in /install. Specifically, the attempted installation resulted in a stack error with a bunch of hexadecimal nibbles (word of the day!) appearing on-screen.

I re-acquired the game files and the stack error abated, but now I get an error during installation indicating that there is not enough space on the system. When I check the system memory management screen, the numbers do not add up; even if I were to delete all the games shown as being stored on the system (of which I don't want to delete any if I can help it, btw), there would not be enough space available for the game in question.

Could the aforementioned failed installation still be taking up space on my system HDD that is invisible to the Wii U itself?
I have a USB that I can install the game on again for now, and intend to try doing so this evening, but I want to open up that missing space for other games, if at all possible. Please advise!

Last edited by Hardgrapes,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-