Gaming Mario Kart 7 to come to eShop?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Wait. You guys have access to eShop servers? Like, the actual repository of games from eShop?

...kinda scary, what you guys are venturing into. Nintendo Video, I had no qualms about that. It's not being sold, so, there's no real damage done. But linking to stuff that could potentially be sold... money's involved now, and it's an entirely different ball game.

I wonder what the mods think about this. And now that the main domain is accessible, what's to stop people from fiddling with the other games?
Yes I have access to Nintendo's servers where the eShop content is kept, but so does everyone, how do you think your 3DS downloads eShop content? Your 3DS access Nintendo's servers to retrieve game content in a way which anyone can replicate. Note I don't have access to any settings or controls of the eShop server, if I did, there would be a few 100% off sales ;)

Oh no don't worry, Nintendo has nothing to worry about. Linking to the eShop data won't do any damage to anyone or anything. The game data as it lies on Nintendo's Servers, has an extra layer of encryption on top of what is found in Game ROMS. This is done by Nintendo purposely, because they know that it can be accessed by anyone.

EDIT:
"But linking to stuff that could potentially be sold... money's involved now, and it's an entirely different ball game." Like I said before, there is an extra layer of encryption for game data on Nintendo's CDN, but even if I could decrypt them, how would I use them to affect/damage sales?
I never said it would affect/damage sales. But I did not know about the extra encryption though. All I'm thinking is that free access to the eShop server means free access to whatever stuff they're selling (and not selling) there, encrypted or not. One could draw a parallel and imagine having free access to, say, an online merchant's software items. Like PSN. Or Xbox Live. Or Steam. I'm not waving a righteous moral flag here, god forbid I'd offend a lot of "pirate rebels" here, me included. I'm just saying. If it's a store, and it's for sale, and you got free access to it... well, you guys draw your own conclusions.

Venturing? These informations and data were available to anyone from their very own servers. It has always been accessible. That's hardly venturing.

Besides, there are more than enough moderators here. We don't need backseat moderators to tell us what should be done or not.
I'm sorry, no it's not. These information and data were available to everybody through the intended channel (eShop app), and most definitely not by direct linking. You would not even have the direct link if somebody didn't "sniff it out" from eShop interactions. Just because it's an open gate doesn't mean everybody's welcome to walk in. But then, it's a case of moral principles, much like walking inside somebody's house just because they left the door ajar. But I digress. (And yes, I waved a moral flag here. LOL)

Anyways, yes, I still think it's venturing. It's a pretty accurate word in this scenario. Also, I lol'd at "backseat moderators", I didn't know those exist. What's biting you, anyway?

EDIT: Suffice to say, I have qualms about linking to eShop. But it's not like it's gonna stop people, lol. So go ahead, move along, nothing to see here in this post.

Sonic4Ever

Trophies
XP
Country
France
These information and data were available to everybody through the intended channel (eShop app), and most definitely not by direct linking.

They actually were. These links wouldn't be working otherwise, you see, there is something called "privileges" also known as "permissions" if you do not want your data to be available by direct linking.

Reactions: 1 person

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, no it's not. These information and data were available to everybody through the intended channel (eShop app), and most definitely not by direct linking. You would not even have the direct link if somebody didn't "sniff it out" from eShop interactions.
You can access it from a web browser. The link to the TMD is predictable, and from the TMD you can determine the links to the game content. And no you can't find out where the TMD file is located by sniffing out eShop interactions, it just so happens that the location of the CDN file structure is the same as Wii and DSi and that is well documented.

Also with the NUS Downloader, users have been able to 'access' Nintendo's CDN for Wii an DSi titles, for some time.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said it would affect/damage sales.
Then what is the point of this statment:
But linking to stuff that could potentially be sold... money's involved now, and it's an entirely different ball game.
If sales are not going to be affected, then what are you getting at?

--
If it's a store, and it's for sale, and you got free access to it... well, you guys draw your own conclusions.
My conclusion is that Nintendo doesn't and won't give a crap, because they implemented DRM properly for the 3DS.

--

All I'm thinking is that free access to the eShop server means free access to whatever stuff they're selling (and not selling) there, encrypted or not. One could draw a parallel and imagine having free access to, say, an online merchant's software items. Like PSN. Or Xbox Live. Or Steam.
You know I can give the link to a PSN store game, to my friends, now they have free access to the game data, and can download it with a web browser. However they don't have anyway of installing or running it on OFW because of the DRM measures put in place preventing them from doing such things.
--

Just because it's an open gate doesn't mean everybody's welcome to walk in.
Actually everybody is welcome to walk in, think of it as an library full of books written in a language that you cannot read. You can take out any books you like, but you won't be able to interpret any of the books without an interpreter.

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn. Should've waited for this copy since I'd like to play MK once in a while without switching carts (karts?), but nobody would've known.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The OP made the news, apparently.
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/09/07/mario-kart-7-super-mario-3d-land-apparently-coming-to-nintendo-eshop/

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/two?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zeldainformer+%28Zelda+Informer+News+Feed%29&utm_content=FaceBook#When:21:20:56Z

Reactions: 1 person

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
If they do go digital for this, I would definately buy it.
Although, I do still prefer physical copies, but time is the limiting factor for me and I barely find enough time to study for my finals anyway.

If it goes to eShop, i'll probably by it there and grab a physical copy during the holidays! ;)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought NSMB 2 at full retail on the eShop and didn't feel cheated at all. I got extra CN coins out of it and I don't have to bother with the cartridge.

I gave SM3DL to a friend, but I would buy it on the eShop if I likewise got some kind of bonus such as extra CN coins but as far as what I paid for the cartridge, I got that used. I honestly would pay more for the digital download (meaning that I'd pay full price + tax) if I got rewarded for the transaction. But I will not even buy the game again used, probably not even at 30% off retail, because I hate having multi cartridges.

I may be an obscure adult though, and I'm not the primary target demographic for 3DS titles. It's my belief that they've waited so long on offering AAA titles for digital license/download because they wanted to have their research done, and employ a solid strategy for bringing them to the table-- without having to reduce the price for the perceived value of the game.

One thing that concerns me though, is theft or damage to the licensed system. If the damaged system is under warranty there's some possibility they'll help you out.. but there's no way to recover your digital license if the system is stolen, just as if the hardcopy was stolen. If, on the other hand, my Steam account is stolen, or my Vita is stolen, I can go through authentication procedures to recover my Steam account or remotely deactivate the Vita (from my PSN account).

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
One of the main reasons I wouldn't go for digital releases is that my girlfriend and I live together, and we share/swap games to keep on our busy work and school schedules. Games with good multiplayer that we'd take advantage of like Kid Icarus, Street Fighter, and Mario Kart would be fine digital since we'd buy 2 copies anyway, but there's no incentive for us to buy digital copies of 1player games like OoT 3D and SM3DL because we can't share a copy that way.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of the main reasons I wouldn't go for digital releases is that my girlfriend and I live together, and we share/swap games to keep on our busy work and school schedules. Games with good multiplayer that we'd take advantage of like Kid Icarus, Street Fighter, and Mario Kart would be fine digital since we'd buy 2 copies anyway, but there's no incentive for us to buy digital copies of 1player games like OoT 3D and SM3DL because we can't share a copy that way.

Personally I would get the digital version so I wouldn't have to share.

/Has no girlfriend.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc