Gaming Mario Kart 7 to come to eShop?

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if Nintendo wanted to, they could link the Club Nintendo codes to your E-shop account which would allow you to get a free digital copy of any game you register. Then there would be no way for piracy since the code would expire after one use. The only downside I can think of is that people would sell their digital copy and keep the physical one, but I'm pretty sure that could be worked around in the future.

Reactions: 1 person

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I just hope owner of the retail card itself will be able to download it,

Pip'

Why would they do that??
I mean paying for a game that u own is stupid.
It's amazing how thick some people are that you have to explain why.

Obviously the person wants to download it for free if they have already bought the cartridge, if they wanted to pay for it they wouldn't have asked the question in the first place!

It would be nice to always have it on your 3DS rather than carry around various cartridges around and also to not to keep swapping cartridges. I think in this modern day and age gamers should be allowed to copy a title to their console or at least in this case download something.

I suppose piracy is an issue to why you can't, kids could just share cartridges to get their own digital copy but I can't see how Nintendo couldn't have something on the cartridges that would deter that. Like I dunno, it sends it to the 3DS and then the 3DS talks back to lock the cartridge to that particular device. Of course that would make the games less attractive for used sales (a plus for Nintendo) however if a gamer buys another 3DS he can't use that copy on it.

In what world do you live ._. ??
Thats gonna never happen.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just clicked one of the CDN thingies, and now I'm downloading a 609mb file. Is that Mario Kart 7? Or what you think is Mario Kart 7?

No, but it did allow Nintendo to trace your whereabouts and send out a kill squad.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose piracy is an issue to why you can't, kids could just share cartridges to get their own digital copy but I can't see how Nintendo couldn't have something on the cartridges that would deter that. Like I dunno, it sends it to the 3DS and then the 3DS talks back to lock the cartridge to that particular device. Of course that would make the games less attractive for used sales (a plus for Nintendo) however if a gamer buys another 3DS he can't use that copy on it.
Or just use Club.Nintendo.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think Nintendo would sell more copies this way. Some people just really dislike going to stores and buying video games, especially for a system that is considered to be "kiddy." I'm almost 24 and I felt a little awkward buying three 3DS games in a store the other day. I would really like if Nintendo would put more games up if they would cut the price a tad since consumers will not have a physical copy of the game, manual, and case.
I don't get the problem with people and calling DS's and 3DS's as kiddy, it has it's fair amount of games for kids sure, but it has plenty that are for an older target audience, I'm 21 and I've never had a problem with going to the store and buying 3DS games, heck, even the store clerks there own a 3DS themselves and most are around 30 years old. On the price part tho, yeah, I agree they should cut the price on digital content, I for one will never buy a digital game if I have the retail copy available (since I enjoy collecting games), even on steam I never purchase games for the same reason, only ones that I sometimes buy are ones that are on discount, otherwise I don't even think about digital content.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the problem with people and calling DS's and 3DS's as kiddy, it has it's fair amount of games for kids sure, but it has plenty that are for an older target audience, I'm 21 and I've never had a problem with going to the store and buying 3DS games, heck, even the store clerks there own a 3DS themselves and most are around 30 years old.

It's called being young, awkward, and insecure and putting a heavy premium on how other people view you or, rather, how you think they view you--it wears off, eventually...unless you're really into Apple products, in which case I'm pretty sure it's terminal.

Reactions: 2 people

taydor_b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the problem with people and calling DS's and 3DS's as kiddy, it has it's fair amount of games for kids sure, but it has plenty that are for an older target audience, I'm 21 and I've never had a problem with going to the store and buying 3DS games, heck, even the store clerks there own a 3DS themselves and most are around 30 years old.

It's called being young, awkward, and insecure and putting a heavy premium on how other people view you or, rather, how you think they view you--it wears off, eventually...unless you're really into Apple products, in which case I'm pretty sure it's terminal.

I've been this way forever though. Even when I was younger and had birthday holiday money to spend on a game, I would feel like a geek in front of the clerks. It's weird because I can walk through the aisles and be fine, until I pick up a game or ask someone to open up the cabinet for me. But as soon as the games are bagged, that feeling goes away and I am stoked about my purchase. I know it's a little odd to most people, but it's kind of why I stick to amazon or ebay when buying games. That, and it's almost always cheaper.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't currently own Mario Kart, and I don't know if they're going to follow retail pricing with these digital releases, but if Mario Kart goes down to $20 on eshop once the retail version does, I'll certainly buy it. There's some games I wouldn't mind having once they're cheap, and having them digital and not clogging up my card slot would be a plus. Can't wait to see if they do indeed drop prices later.

flygon12345

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
India
I just clicked one of the CDN thingies, and now I'm downloading a 609mb file. Is that Mario Kart 7? Or what you think is Mario Kart 7?
That's the Mario Kart 7 CDN enecrypted NCCH data. I just added the links for reference, in case anyone wanted to compare sizes for them selves. There is no point in downloading it for any other reason as *you* can decrypt it.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't currently own Mario Kart, and I don't know if they're going to follow retail pricing with these digital releases, but if Mario Kart goes down to $20 on eshop once the retail version does.
It's unlikely that both will drop in price unless Nintendo themselves re-release it as a budget title, which they probably wont. Mario Kart Wii still has the same RRP of when it was released originally, some places still adhere to that unfortunately but other places like Sainsburys have it for sale for £10. Nintendo has stated that they wont be under cutting the RRP as they don't want to upset some retailers.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Nintendo would sell more copies this way. Some people just really dislike going to stores and buying video games, especially for a system that is considered to be "kiddy." I'm almost 24 and I felt a little awkward buying three 3DS games in a store the other day. I would really like if Nintendo would put more games up if they would cut the price a tad since consumers will not have a physical copy of the game, manual, and case.

That's sad.

flygon12345

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
India

That's sad.
its not kiddish

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Wait. You guys have access to eShop servers? Like, the actual repository of games from eShop?

...kinda scary, what you guys are venturing into. Nintendo Video, I had no qualms about that. It's not being sold, so, there's no real damage done. But linking to stuff that could potentially be sold... money's involved now, and it's an entirely different ball game.

I wonder what the mods think about this. And now that the main domain is accessible, what's to stop people from fiddling with the other games?

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait. You guys have access to eShop servers? Like, the actual repository of games from eShop?

...kinda scary, what you guys are venturing into. Nintendo Video, I had no qualms about that. It's not being sold, so, there's no real damage done. But linking to stuff that could potentially be sold... money's involved now, and it's an entirely different ball game.

I wonder what the mods think about this. And now that the main domain is accessible, what's to stop people from fiddling with the other games?
Yes I have access to Nintendo's servers where the eShop content is kept, but so does everyone, how do you think your 3DS downloads eShop content? Your 3DS access Nintendo's servers to retrieve game content in a way which anyone can replicate. Note I don't have access to any settings or controls of the eShop server, if I did, there would be a few 100% off sales ;)

Oh no don't worry, Nintendo has nothing to worry about. Linking to the eShop data won't do any damage to anyone or anything. The game data as it lies on Nintendo's Servers, has an extra layer of encryption on top of what is found in Game ROMS. This is done by Nintendo purposely, because they know that it can be accessed by anyone.

EDIT:
"But linking to stuff that could potentially be sold... money's involved now, and it's an entirely different ball game." Like I said before, there is an extra layer of encryption for game data on Nintendo's CDN, but even if I could decrypt them, how would I use them to affect/damage sales?

Sonic4Ever

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Venturing? These informations and data were available to anyone from their very own servers. It has always been accessible. That's hardly venturing.

Besides, there are more than enough moderators here. We don't need backseat moderators to tell us what should be done or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...