ROM Hack Maplestory DS English Translation

yuka001

Trophies
XP
Country
So... I'm a bit confused because of the old translation projects, and new threads popping up here and there for Maple Story translation...

Including this:
http://gbatemp.net/t266962-maplestory-ds-i...help?&st=30
and what's already been translated or is currently being worked on, does anyone know if there's a VERY rough estimate of the total completion percentage on this project?

Also, are all the different works on the project compatible with one another?

Thanks!

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
To my knowledge, it's very close, but the actual number might be lower. To correctly determine completion, I will be making a spreadsheet documenting the contents of each and every file. People, Please, we need translators.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Spamming every single post you make with requests for translators is not going to make people want to help; rather it will deter them, as it makes you just appear irritating. Just have patience and let people come in their own time.

Incidentally, why the evasiveness in responding with a rough figure? It's not hard to have a decent guess at it if you have actually looked at the text needing translation and what is already completed.. I could tell you that roughly 85% is done for one of the projects I am working on, and we don't have an updated completion table or anything like that. Repeating "It's very close" again and again is useless, if you're going to take the time to even answer in the first place, you may as well give the crowd something to satisfy them, or they'll just continue to ask.

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well critsicizing him ain't gonna do anything, but demoralize him guys.
So i am in total support of you + you will make a good leader.
But at least listen to people ron. Good luck.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Not trying to criticise just for the sake of it, I've been trying to point things out that need to be brought to his attention. Personally I love the fact that this is being picked up again, I enjoyed the game, even with its flaws, and to see it finished would be great. The thing is though, there are certain... let's call them policies, that apply here. One major point being that machine translations are always bad - multiple people stated this, and yet we were all ignored until he tried it himself and failed. The other examples follow on from there; no matter the advice given, it was essentially all ignored. Anyway, it looks like things might start getting back on track with this, so good luck to you all, and don't hesitate to ask for help with anything. Just remember, you need to have patience.
wink.gif

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, the spreadsheet has info from IN/STAGE/0 to IN/STAGE/44.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...uthkey=CLTo5f0H

I'm going to japan for a vacation in a vacation, so i'll work on it as best as I can there on the plane, or on the tour bus, if I can, but I'll probably be playing Professor layton instead, LOL
You can check that out, it's a more detailed review.
Blank spaces don't have info entered in yet. If you want to help, make a copy of that, and enter the information as of twiztidsinz's 0.02b+ patch, as we're using that as a base.

Just unpack the rom, use MapleTrans to extract the NXARC and help post. Don't use Word to calculate lines, use this
http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelPad.html

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you making your own spreadsheets when the original team already did that and already labeled which sections are edited and which ones need editing? o__o

Personally, I'm going to translate using in-game context by playing twiztidsinz translation until I hit an untranslated/poorly-phrased section. Using the context of what's already happened in the game, it should be easily fixed.

NaYa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep in mind that the original spreadsheet from DarkFrost's team is very well organized, but it doesn't include the story dialogues. (only parts of warrior line)
So if you want the actual story translated, there's a WHOLE lot of translation and editing to be done. XD

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
Why are you making your own spreadsheets when the original team already did that and already labeled which sections are edited and which ones need editing? o__o

Personally, I'm going to translate using in-game context by playing twiztidsinz translation until I hit an untranslated/poorly-phrased section. Using the context of what's already happened in the game, it should be easily fixed.
I didn't really do any translations, so I shouldn't take any credit.
I added translations to SOME Shop/Inn NPCs (Google Translate then made it up based on a few key words that got through, gave it a little 'Classic RPG' flavor where you rest at the Inn rather than Save your game since it breaks the RPG-ness).
And I did the skill Thief/Bowman/Magician descriptions (Similar fashion to above, threw the skill line through Google Translate, then made up by using and watching the skill and it's effect. The majority of the important stuff is numbers or key words like 'pierce' which were easy enough to figure out from Google Translate's "penetrations").

It was mostly just graphic editing on the maps and adding a polish to the work of the previous team.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.__. I'll have to make note of that. I'll fix Skill Descs first thing Friday afternoon using hidden-street.net as a resource.

And by your translation, what I meant was image translation and packing in the original team's work.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
.__. I'll have to make note of that. I'll fix Skill Descs first thing Friday afternoon using hidden-street.net as a resource.

And by your translation, what I meant was image translation and packing in the original team's work.
Skills aren't the same, I already looked most of them up on Hidden Street (I played MS in the past).

toshio

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If someone can Give me all the Korean texts that are needed to be translated I can send it to my friend who is good at translating cause he's Korean, then i can give it back to someone who hacks.

myattus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello All, I just bought an M3 last week as a Christmas gift for 12yr old. He plays Maple Story constantly so I thought it would be neat if he had it on the DSi.
Though I'm sure a lot of effort has gone into it, the patched version I have is unplayable for a non-Korean speaking person. After looking over the web I came to find that not a whole lot is being done to get an English version out. There's lots of talk but nothing in the way of progress, so I'm using Google Translator to do it myself. The translator is not perfect but good enough to get the jist of what is being said.
I'll UL the files when I'm done for anyone interested (I've got a few hundred files to go).
If anyone already has everything translated and needs help with formatting or refining, I'd rather help with that as it will be much quicker, but only if I actually get the files and not a spreadsheet. Message me if you do.

Translating MS is tedious but absolutely possible, let's get it done.

This site rocks!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
They don't have to be the same, but if they can at least be phrased similarly, why not?
Because the Skill Descriptions are already accurate and descriptive to the skills in-game and on top of that they're formatted correctly to have no 'clipping'. Because of the way MapleStory is coded (both on the PC and DS), if a line is longer than the area it is supposed to fit it will drop to the next on a per-character basis (not per-word).
Here are some examples:
QUOTE('No formatting') said:
This text is too long to fit on a line and ends up being clipped.

This text is too long to fit on a li
ne and ends up being clipped.
QUOTE('Without proper placement') said:
This text is too long to fit on a line[\n]and ends up being clipped.

This text is too long to fit on a li
ne
and ends up being clipped.
QUOTE('With proper placement')This line is too long to fit on a[\n]line and ends up being clipped.

This line is too long to fit on a
line and ends up being clipped.
If you want to go through the trouble of rewording all the skills and then making sure that every skill has linebreaks in the correct position, then be my guest. But quite frankly, the major problem with the skills is you don't have a whole lot of room to work with. You get 3 lines and they're not very long at that.
Additionally, you'll have to watch word placement of practically every word longer than 5 characters so they're not rolling over where a line break would be, unless you want to hyphenate a lot, which I think looks crappy. Also, the lines limits aren't # of characters, it's width so you'll have to test each and every skill.

I should also note that the clipping will be triggered by a space.
The old files that I used had a few "blahblahblah [\n]" lines which if in the wrong place ended up like this:QUOTE('Space causing line clipping')
This text has a space [\n]which clips the line.

(space represented by an "_")
This text has a space
_
which clips the line.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toshio said:
@twiztidsinz
Seems like hyphenating will be the only way to fit though, its better than nothing.

We'll see. I haven't had a chance to see Twiztidsinz's edits yet because of midterms, so they may be fine for all I know.

NaYa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I finally got around playing around with MapleTrans and exported text files from the rom to see just how much work needs to be done.
I also read over DarkFrost team's spreadsheet, and it was nice to see them communicate and comment on each of the lines. Very well organized. It's also essential to keep track of how many characters you can fit per line for different section. Programmers / editors have to constantly communicate with the translators for efficient translation.

I think if we have someone (preferably with some experience) that can keep track of everything and keep it all nice and organized like the original team, we could do this.
But it requires serious long term dedication, because from the amount of the exported text files I saw... that spreadsheet is only the tip of an iceberg. x_x
Initial translation is the easy part. Editing is gonna be hell. lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT