Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
phoenixgoddess27 said:
ron975 said:
I started the project post, and to Toushiro, what other choice will we have? Our best chance is to use google translate and edit the hell out of it, just for the sake of having a completely translated version.

Haha, thanks Toushiro. You have the most obvious choice, to be patient. Turning to Google Translate as a last resort will not give you an amazing patch, but rather a headache. You also have to keep in mind that when google guesses, it REALLY guesses, so you won't even know if it's correct or not, you'll just "assume" it is.
Ah, but I actually play MapleStory... Also, I won't be just using 1 translate engine.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
There is no computerised translation engine that will give you an accurate result. Stop being an ignorant, stubborn fool and listen to the people who know. It might provide a good resource for single phrases and words, as a supplement to ones own vocabulary, but you cannot ever rely upon them for an accurate grammar translation, and even the vocabulary itself is almost always flawed to some degree. I could post enough examples of this here to fill up at least a few pages, just from the crap it has churned out from my curiosity.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Why cause the discussion to split? Better to keep the dross in one place. And honestly, translation is entirely unnecessary to play the game. The only reason to translate it in the first place is to be able to understand the storyline, which won't be possible with the way you are planning to 'translate' it.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ron975 said:
Can we move discussion relating to my attempt here:
http://gbatemp.net/t269271-need-recruits-r...slation-project

I know it'll be controversial, but atleast you'll won't need a guide beside you.
...I don't really see any point in moving discussions around and spread around the board with a variety of the same thread, and it is a little easier keeping track of one thread rather than four. It's not so much that you won't be needing a guide beside you, you will just need one on the computer screen because the hacked directions will probably say something like "Kill the Acorns 100 times" and the real quest would be asking for 100 mesos to buy an acorn or something.

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Only used google translator if have to. It sometimes gives accurate trans, but beware when the trans say something like ' plz kill zakum 100 helmet kerning hero to zero reward zakum kill 50final000+ not mesos kill lunnar good jukong epic battle'.
Try to figure out that crap.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jarejare3 said:
Only used google translator if have to. It sometimes gives accurate trans, but beware when the trans say something like ' plz kill zakum 100 helmet kerning hero to zero reward zakum kill 50final000+ not mesos kill lunnar good jukong epic battle'.
Try to figure out that crap.

So what you're saying is... Try figuring out everything google spits at you.

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
yeah its real. I tried using google trans at a script of it during my 1st run of the game. IT WORK AT TIMES BUT IT IS CRAP AT TIMES.
The only thing i understand is
1. Zakum is lvl 100
2.reward is 50000 mesos
3. Report to npc (lunnarr?)
4. Take helmet
5.u have turn from 0 to hero
6. Its an epic battle.
7. I am a theif job xplains the kerning thing.

flywithme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
twiztidsinz said:
flywithme said:
The Chinese patch is almost finished, it is fully translated and now in debugging and testing stage.
http://forum.tgbus.com/viewthread.php?tid=1651690
We are just waiting for it to release (probably Christmas/New year).

I might not know Korean, but I am a Chinese.
I can help in translating the game from Chinese to English if any one can help me with the technical and graphical stuff.
I know nuts about ds rom hacking, so can only help in translation.
I think that pretty much everything is inside the RESOURCE.NXARC file, and I'm pretty sure that MapleTrans unpacks everything in the archive.
DarthNemesis' *****Trans are fairly easy to use...
[updated]
Your first time running, you placed the unpacked folder from DS Buff or a similar app into the MapleTrans folder and make sure it's named NDS_UNPACK
Then when you run the app you do File -> Load All then File -> Export Text. This will convert the script files to .txt files.
After you update, do File -> Import Text then File -> Save All to convert the .txts to their original and repack into RESOURCE.NXARC.

As for the graphics, I've listed what many of them are in my topic here: http://gbatemp.net/t266962-maplestory-ds-i...iting-need-help
Open the .NCGR files up with CrystalTile2 and set them to the appropriate settings (GBA 8bpp, 8 width 8 height, 32 tiles wide, palette usually the .NCLR file 2~3 digits below the .NCGR), select the tiles you want (click and drag to select) and export, edit in your favorite image editing app and then import back into CrystalTile2.
Feel free to use the images I edited (I can send you the files themselves if you'd like), just credit me somewhere.

Thank you for the tips!
I will give it a try when the Chinese version is out
nayps3.gif

twiztidsinz said:
QUOTE(Arithmatics @ Dec 11 2010, 04:24 AM)
So does that mean we're all set to make a new team?

There's enough willing translators to blend and an image translator too.

compiling with MapleTrans.

Isn't that all thats needed? + time?
Essentially, yes.
Once you have a tool like MapleTrans, translating the text only requires:
- People to translate Language A to Language B, should be a native speaker of the first language and fluent in the second.
- People to edit/clean up the translated text, should be a native speaker of the second language and a knowledge of the second helps.
- Time.

The first translation team did a good job, but I don't think they were together long enough to give it the good polish it needed. For example, the NPC named Luna was called "Runa", Hatch was sometimes "Hechi" and Samantha was something odd.

You missed out one important thing in game translation:
You need at least one or two in the team who knows very well about the game, e.g. npc, skills, monster, items...

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Honestly, knowledge of the game isn't necessary. It is generally quite easy to research this as you go along; familiarity comes with time just from translation.

I disagree that a native speaker of the languages is required though. It would be preferrable of course, but it isn't necessary.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
phoenixgoddess27 said:
ron975 said:
Visit my thread again, I tried many methods of machine translation, but to no avail. So, I'm recruiting translators....

You don't really need to post this in other threads if it's already in yours.
Point taken, but , just out of curiosity, about how many people at GBAtemp speak korean?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Thank You :D