ROM Hack Maplestory DS English Translation

NaYa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heh, I forgot about this game and suddenly remembered, and boy was I surprised about the project. Didn't know there was a huge translation project going on. I was actually thinking about making a walkthrough but got too lazy to play it all over again, and pointing things out when people don't know what they're reading is quite hard. XD

There are quite a few Korean speakers here, but a lot of them are probably sick of all the drama from earlier attempts and talks of translating programs. =P
Let me tell you one thing. Translation doesn't happen on word-to-word basis. There's such a thing called "context."
wink.gif

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
NaYa said:
Heh, I forgot about this game and suddenly remembered, and boy was I surprised about the project. Didn't know there was a huge translation project going on. I was actually thinking about making a walkthrough but got too lazy to play it all over again, and pointing things out when people don't know what they're reading is quite hard. XD

There are quite a few Korean speakers here, but a lot of them are probably sick of all the drama from earlier attempts and talks of translating programs. =P
Let me tell you one thing. Translation doesn't happen on word-to-word basis. There's such a thing called "context."
wink.gif

I can see why the original teams split. what with all the drama going on in my thread about google translations and common sense.
rolleyes.gif

But BASICALLY, We're all set aren't we? We have translators, people willing to pitch in. I can do beta tests and Maplestory terms.
We just need a guy who can patch it all together neatly and tidy-ly

QUOTE(jarejare3 @ Dec 12 2010, 02:59 PM) But sometimes google trans give you words like not english.
Try to translate words like names or (Jehhana) and u will get crap or (butterfly city)or ( jibai ku long).

You wish.
tongue.gif

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'll patch it together and take care of the rom packing and patch making and uploading and release thread and all the other technical stuff and I can also edit and review. What I can't do is Translate. Let's try to minimize drama by communicating through GBAtemp so the public knows EVERYTHING going on and can give support. Open projects are the ones that stay alive the longest. One of the original's teams faults was that no one knew what the hell is going on. It was as secretive as the CIA, for god's sake. I didn't even know it was dead until like 3 months after.

First, We'll need a list of all volunteers. Then we need to set standards. And then we start.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that the majority of the original team's work is still available online:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap...amp;hl=en#gid=0

Everything but Skill Descriptions, the journal, and map names have been fully translated. Most of it just needs editing, which Maple fans and grammarians (Both of which are groups I belong in) can take care of.

If what the original team has done so far could be edited into a ROM and made available (if this has already been done, I haven't seen it) that would be extremely helpful in the editing process.

NaYa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, who's the project leader? There are so many separate threads and groups that I don't know which one to join. XD

I can help with story and dialogue translation.
I took a look at the spreadsheet, and looks like whoever did the warrior dialogue just used google or something. :/

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish someone who isn't tied down with school could step up and be the leader. I could do it, but school...I have enough procrastination as is.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
jarejare3 said:
Well all i can say is good luck. Keep up the good work.
Dude, we didn't even start yet.
See the previous post. Who are the team members? We need a full list.

QUOTE(TehSkull @ Dec 14 2010, 11:57 AM) Keep in mind that the majority of the original team's work is still available online:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap...amp;hl=en#gid=0

Everything but Skill Descriptions, the journal, and map names have been fully translated. Most of it just needs editing, which Maple fans and grammarians (Both of which are groups I belong in) can take care of.

If what the original team has done so far could be edited into a ROM and made available (if this has already been done, I haven't seen it) that would be extremely helpful in the editing process.
The best way to do it is to use twiztidsinz 0.02b+ patch here: http://gbatemp.net/t266962-maplestory-ds-i...iting-need-help
and unpack the patched rom.

According to the spreadsheet, we don't have much to translate, but we'll have to edit the riddle, as in it's original meaning, it's total guesswork to most North Americans. Should be something easy.
Like Twinkle Twinkle little star? IDK, the file structure has loads of empty files.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who are the team members? Look at the replies to this thread. I'd say that's a team. Disorganized as it is, it's still a team.

And thanks for that link, I hadn't been keeping up with his thread as I should've. I'll start editing on Friday.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
OK, took a look at the files, we just have I'd say about a few hundred lines of text to translate. That's the story in IN\STAGE\GLOBAL\67.txt and IN\STAGE\GLOBALSCENE.txt . Everyone, please get your hands on the files ASAP, as I cannot distribute them directly.
The Spreadsheet is inaccurate. They were this close to a full translation.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
ron975 said:
I tried many methods of machine translation, but to no avail.

Told you so. Might be an idea for you to listen to the translators next time, since we kinda know these things, and you, not being a translator, don't.

Anyway, how close is "this close" as far as completion status goes? Don't forget that a lot of editing is also required, since the previous translation was at best, crappy.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoo another un-needed thread. I'll neglect to post in that thread. And we don't need a damn google group. Those never get anything done, as you may have noticed from the past. Keep the discussions here at GBATemp while hosting the spreadsheet at Google Docs.

And as I mentioned, you can put me on the list as an editor due to my high grammar and Maple knowledge.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
TehSkull said:
Whoo another un-needed thread. I'll neglect to post in that thread. And we don't need a damn google group. Those never get anything done, as you may have noticed from the past. Keep the discussions here at GBATemp while hosting the spreadsheet at Google Docs.

And as I mentioned, you can put me on the list as an editor due to my high grammar and Maple knowledge.
I just did. Thanks. The thread is just an organizing tool. i'll remove the google groups, but do we really need a spreadsheet? we just have 2 files to do.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:

Another useless topic that will possibly get closed again, you mean. Keep the spreadsheet on Google Docs and only make it accessible to those wanting to help, rather than those with the link. No point in making more than one thread when one has already been made. If you're just creating a translation group on a whim with no knowledge at all, you won't get very far, ron.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Who's our team leader and lead translator?

phoenixgoddess27 said:
TehSkull said:

Another useless topic that will possibly get closed again, you mean. Keep the spreadsheet on Google Docs and only make it accessible to those wanting to help, rather than those with the link. No point in making more than one thread when one has already been made. If you're just creating a translation group on a whim with no knowledge at all, you won't get very far, ron.

Actually, I, myself personally requested that topic closed. If you want proof, I have the PM from VA, and I have enough knowledge to Pack and Unpack roms, use MapleTrans and edit in BabelPad/Notepad/Whatever unicode editor of choice.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ron975 said:

Actually, I, myself personally requested that topic closed. If you want proof, I have the PM from VA

Why would I need proof?
wtf.gif

You should already have a team leader and a romhacker already. Why would you announce a project without them? :wtf:

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
phoenixgoddess27 said:
ron975 said:

Actually, I, myself personally requested that topic closed. If you want proof, I have the PM from VA

Why would I need proof?
wtf.gif

You should already have a team leader and a romhacker already. Why would you announce a project without them? :wtf:
Ok, then. We need a few translators. I'm making a spreadsheet on lines of text right now.
EDIT: Finished Spreadsheet, if anyone wants to join, I'll send you the link to it.
We'll I'll be Rom hacker, we don't really have an official leader yet.
EDIT: Upon further inspection, it seems like
MP060405.txt has korean. So we have 3 files

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s