Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
So does this mean i can just play online american games , without a worry?
Right. If you want to be extra careful there's a program that modifies the header of whatever game you want to play online. I'm yet to see someone being banned for playing on a different region (unless they're cheating or going earlier into the game).

Last edited by Sephirosu,
Reactions: Lyuksus

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they don't/can't. they check if you play a game a week early and ban you. as simple as that.

Uhhh... they CAN and they DO. That's why people get banned from online play when dozens of people play online at the same time with the same serial number (since not all uploaders are smart enough to remove the serial number before uploading a game, and people are too lazy to change the serial number for themselves)

Lyuksus

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Uhhh... they CAN and they DO. That's why people get banned from online play when dozens of people play online at the same time with the same serial number (since not all uploaders are smart enough to remove the serial number before uploading a game, and people are too lazy to change the serial number for themselves)
If i want to go safe , where could i change the serial number? Or how?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i want to go safe , where could i change the serial number? Or how?
If you don't have a Gateway card, don't worry about it. .CIA already has it stripped out. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the Gateway site has a tool (as does gbatemp) for editing .3ds headers. The most recommended thing, over using a random number, is to dump one of your own carts and use the serial number off of that cart for every game you download. It *seems* they don't check if the serial number is proper for the game, but rather that there aren't multiple people online at the same time with the same serial number.

Reactions: Lyuksus

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
follow the quotes, genius.
What exactly do you mean?
Here are no links anywhere. See the screenshot.
bd5c7ab4f9312a74ed8d3f8ba73623ca.png

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh... You see the little -UP- arrow next to "naddle81 said: " ? Click the arrow and figure out exactly what I was replying to.
You did not even watch the screenshot, did you? So where is the serial in cia?

To the OP: don't be paranoid. They cannot see any personal info when you use the cia version of a game. There is no way to delete serial or other stuff as there is none. Why some were banned from playing Pokemon a week early? Go, figure.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You did not even watch the screenshot, did you? So where is the serial in cia?
You should try viewing the forums in a real browser.

Sephirosu said:
basically it's how Nintendo can tell a game cartridge from another as far as I know.

I never said it had to do with a .cia. The post YOU quoted said "cartridge". "cartridge" is a .3ds image.

Last edited by urherenow,

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
You should try viewing the forums in a real browser.

Sephirosu said:
basically it's how Nintendo can tell a game cartridge from another as far as I know.

I never said it had to do with a .cia. The post YOU quoted said "cartridge". "cartridge" is a .3ds image.

They can yes but for the do part I'm yet to see a case of that however the internet is a rather big place so I could be wrong xD but anyway, as I said afterwards, it's better to do the change just to be even more careful

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Interesting, im a GW user, still considering using Luma3DS once I find enough reasons

What was everyone's favorite reasons for switching from Gateway to Luma3DS
Brick preventing is the main reason for me.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, im a GW user, still considering using Luma3DS once I find enough reasons

What was everyone's favorite reasons for switching from Gateway to Luma3DS
If you're smart, you'll use both. There are plusses to both sides of the house, and if you use both, you get all the pluses B-)

EDIT:

In the a9lh world, Gateway's fastboot is horrible. No brick protection. You are stuck with ONLY GW (tools such as hourglass9, godmode9, decrypt9, and things like bootanim9, are lost to you).

Luma has nice patches for twl/agb firms

GW has the best available cheat engine
GW lets you drag and drop .3ds files, rather than waiting for a .cia to install
GW easily dumps carts

I forgot where I gathered all of my a9lh stuff from, but I have a GW payload that chainloads frorm Luma (I named it down_Gateway.bin), as well as a multi stage2 a9lh install that lets me boot into GW directly if I hold A. Actually, without holding A, my system boots bootanim9 -> Luma.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
They can yes but for the do part I'm yet to see a case of that however the internet is a rather big place so I could be wrong xD but anyway, as I said afterwards, it's better to do the change just to be even more careful

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Brick preventing is the main reason for me.

It's harder for a system with Luma3DS to brick? I guess thats true as its modifying the SysNand

Question, can I just use the GW Fastboot installer to get A9LH onto my main menu without Luma3DS etc.
I have no idea how it works, how safe is using A9LH and it works with gateway right?

amberchris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How can I clear the error " Failed to mount CTRNAND"? I got this problem when tried to install the armloaderhax following the guide.

I was at the step of installing arm9loaderhax. After opening the browser, I got a glitched screen. So I turned off new 3ds by mistakes. when rebooted the system, I pressed A botton. Then I got this error. Could anyone please tell me how to this problem?

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
It's harder for a system with Luma3DS to brick? I guess thats true as its modifying the SysNand

Question, can I just use the GW Fastboot installer to get A9LH onto my main menu without Luma3DS etc.
I have no idea how it works, how safe is using A9LH and it works with gateway right?

Well not that it's hard to brick but with luma booting up first thanks to A9HL basically you can recover from most software problems or even downgrade to an earlier sysnand that you may have saved up.

Last I checked (a couple of weeks ago) the fast installer wasn't compatible with Luna's payload chain but there's a post with instructions on how to load GW while still using luma. Basically it's like what you have now but instead of using the DS profile entry point you would hold down a given button on your 3DS and then press the power button to load straight into GW

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Well not that it's hard to brick but with luma booting up first thanks to A9HL basically you can recover from most software problems or even downgrade to an earlier sysnand that you may have saved up.

Last I checked (a couple of weeks ago) the fast installer wasn't compatible with Luna's payload chain but there's a post with instructions on how to load GW while still using luma. Basically it's like what you have now but instead of using the DS profile entry point you would hold down a given button on your 3DS and then press the power button to load straight into GW

Interesting thanks, when I look into getting Luma3DS it should be fun to be able to utilize both Gateway and Luma3DS

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In layman's terms, a9lh purposely corrupts one of your NAND partitions, forcing your 3ds to load what's in the 'backup' boot partition. Luma has patches in place that should prevent system updates and such from messing with that. GW does not. As long as this setup is still intact, a brick doesn't necessarily matter because if you brick, you can always boot into other tools to restore a nand backup without the need for a hard mod.

There are payloads you can use for booting GW directly via regular a9lh, as well as payloads that can be used to boot GW VIA Luma, but GW's fastboot locks you in to booting ONLY GW. iirc, GW fastboot even breaks twl and gba stuff!

Basically it's like what you have now but instead of using the DS profile entry point you would hold down a given button on your 3DS and then press the power button to load straight into GW

Is there an echo in here? :wink:

Reactions: Xiphiidae
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work