Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Question, can I just use the GW Fastboot installer to get A9LH onto my main menu without Luma3DS etc.
You can, but that's not the way most folks on here would recommended you do it. Much better to follow the plailect guide for installing a9lh. You can still use your GW card after that, and also get all the benefits of Luma3DS.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
In layman's terms, a9lh purposely corrupts one of your NAND partitions, forcing your 3ds to load what's in the 'backup' boot partition. Luma has patches in place that should prevent system updates and such from messing with that. GW does not. As long as this setup is still intact, a brick doesn't necessarily matter because if you brick, you can always boot into other tools to restore a nand backup without the need for a hard mod.

There are payloads you can use for booting GW directly via regular a9lh, as well as payloads that can be used to boot GW VIA Luma, but GW's fastboot locks you in to booting ONLY GW. iirc, GW fastboot even breaks twl and gba stuff!

Is there an echo in here? :wink:

Thanks, thats a good explanation, Im going to look up more Luma3DS features and see what more awesome things I can find before I get it

You can, but that's not the way most folks on here would recommended you do it. Much better to follow the plailect guide for installing a9lh. You can still use your GW card after that, and also get all the benefits of Luma3DS.

I see, can you give me a link to the guide?

Last edited by Miles54321, , Reason: Reply to chaser

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country

Im doing the guide for my:

Old 3DSXL
9.4.0-21E

New N3DS XL
9.0.0-20E
GW3D 11.2.0-35E

It said I need to do: "Block conntest.nintendowifi.net" for V 10.7.0 -> 11.0.0,
I got it working for my N3ds by adding internet connection to sysNand, this is risky as 1 slip and my system UPDATES PERMANENTLY!
Isn't there another way of doing this part, can I do it in EmuNAND 11.2 and do Part III?? OR must I do it in sysnand???

Thanks, im a little worried here

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working for my N3ds by adding internet connection to sysNand, this is risky as 1 slip and my system UPDATES PERMANENTLY!
If you haven't made a NAND backup yet, you will (if you follow all of the directions). In that case, there is no such thing as permanent. Worst-case scenario, you'd need a soldering iron :evil:

but you will always be able to go back with a backup and a hardmod.

Kuroi-Akira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im doing the guide for my:

Old 3DSXL
9.4.0-21E

New N3DS XL
9.0.0-20E
GW3D 11.2.0-35E

It said I need to do: "Block conntest.nintendowifi.net" for V 10.7.0 -> 11.0.0,
Isn't there another way of doing this part, can I do it in EmuNAND 11.2 and do Part III?? OR must I do it in sysnand???

Thanks, im a little worried here

That section is only if your n3DS is on 10.7, which its not.
you don't have to do that bit

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Ok, another question

---
O3DS downgrading (>9.2.0)
----

It says: "Copy and merge the 3ds folder from the sysDowngrader zip to the root of your SD card"

The instruction are unclear, all I see is a sysDowngrader folder, does it mean add that folder to my 3DS folder then move it to root?
Im rather confused

Also, it says "Delete any existing updates folder from your SD card if there is one"
Where can I find these to ensure I do not brick my system

Last edited by Miles54321, , Reason: Another Question below

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
you must add the sysDowngrader folder to the "3ds" folder in your sd card

Sweet, I've done that

I was stuck on the red screen when I tried to access "Homebrew Launcher" by press Down on D-Pad

Ah, it was because I had Starter folder and the 3ds folder + .3dsx file on root and i deleted 3ds folder + 3dsx to see which one I need, and yeh I dont need starter, thats the zip file name
I had both unzipped but just wanted to make sure :D

Update: Says MenuHax will no longer work after updating, man that sux
wonder why

Last edited by Miles54321,
D

Deleted-368796

I need some assistance here. Instructions on keeping your existing emuNAND are unclear.
Repeating my current position for clarification.

emuNAND currently rei on FW 9.5 ----> trying to get Luma up and running, keeping existing emuNAND in place.
sysNAND is on FW 9.0. Using menuhax (hold L on boot) to launch Homebrew Launcher, then selecting rei to boot the emuNAND.

What I am trying to do: keep menuhax, keep rei, setup Luma, and be able to launch Luma from the HBL. NOT going to use A9LH.

Where I am at:
Copied (image'd) current SD card to larger card, backed up sysNAND with decrypt9, copied Luma folder /hax/3ds/Luma3DS into /3ds/ (just the .3dsx and .smdh files).

Few quick questions...

- Do I need to backup the tickets with decrypt9, since I am leaving menuhax and just trying to run Luma?
- Are aeskeydb.bin and DspDump still needed?
- Do you still need to create a /luma/ and /luma/payloads folder on the root of the SD card? Do any payloads need to be in there?
- Will Luma even run? I am concerned with not being able to launch it from HBL with an emuNAND on 9.5
- If it will not even run, how would I update the emuNAND to be compatible? Possibly use an older ver of Luma, or update from rei first? (sounds risky)
- Updating Luma: I've placed the /3ds/lumaupdater/ folder in /3ds/. I also copied over the .cia so it can be installed later. Is the lumaupdater.cfg needed in this case?
- Hourglass9 is essentially useless vs. decrypt9, in my case. Since not using A9LH, right?

Edit: went ahead and created the /luma/payloads folder. Dropped the arm9loaderhax.bin file in there. And of course, it will not work.
So what .bin file do I need in there to run Luma as the emuNAND? I am getting the payload error message when launching Luma.

Last edited by ,

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
Advance question to anyone who can help!

Now, I've encountered that after doing a region swap I can't access the US eShop nor can I do a system transfer to add my US NNID to my new region swapped EU N3Ds. Yifan_lu suggested that I should use a patch.c file to patch luma3DS to achieve my goal.

So, my question is: is there a simple way to porting the patch to luma3DS and if so how do I go about doing the porting?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some assistance here. Instructions on keeping your existing emuNAND are unclear.
Repeating my current position for clarification.

emuNAND currently rei on FW 9.5 ----> trying to get Luma up and running, keeping existing emuNAND in place.
sysNAND is on FW 9.0. Using menuhax (hold L on boot) to launch Homebrew Launcher, then selecting rei to boot the emuNAND.

What I am trying to do: keep menuhax, keep rei, setup Luma, and be able to launch Luma from the HBL. NOT going to use A9LH.

Where I am at:
Copied (image'd) current SD card to larger card, backed up sysNAND with decrypt9, copied Luma folder /hax/3ds/Luma3DS into /3ds/ (just the .3dsx and .smdh files).

Few quick questions...

- Do I need to backup the tickets with decrypt9, since I am leaving menuhax and just trying to run Luma?
- Are aeskeydb.bin and DspDump still needed?
- Do you still need to create a /luma/ and /luma/payloads folder on the root of the SD card? Do any payloads need to be in there?
- Will Luma even run? I am concerned with not being able to launch it from HBL with an emuNAND on 9.5
- If it will not even run, how would I update the emuNAND to be compatible? Possibly use an older ver of Luma, or update from rei first? (sounds risky)
- Updating Luma: I've placed the /3ds/lumaupdater/ folder in /3ds/. I also copied over the .cia so it can be installed later. Is the lumaupdater.cfg needed in this case?
- Hourglass9 is essentially useless vs. decrypt9, in my case. Since not using A9LH, right?

Edit: went ahead and created the /luma/payloads folder. Dropped the arm9loaderhax.bin file in there. And of course, it will not work.
So what .bin file do I need in there to run Luma as the emuNAND? I am getting the payload error message when launching Luma.

Place arm9loaderhax.bin in root of sd card then boot Luma3DS from HBL your not going to be using rei anymore

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Last edited by Flame,

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Hey guys, got another question

I'm now doing this for my N3DS XL

I am currently in 2.1.0 in my N3DS XL during the Luma3DS + Arm9 setup but when I try to go to "http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin" -
The browser exploit crashes and even when I clear all save data as recommended!

Has anyone got any advice? I also cannot close my 3ds and put it into sleep mode :(

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, got another question

I'm now doing this for my N3DS XL

I am currently in 2.1.0 in my N3DS XL during the Luma3DS + Arm9 setup but when I try to go to "http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin" -
The browser exploit crashes and even when I clear all save data as recommended!

Has anyone got any advice? I also cannot close my 3ds and put it into sleep mode :(

By crash you mean the bottom screen gets all funky and you get the feeling that the 3DS froze? Give like 10-30 secs and then press select. It did that to me once and I just pressed select and it installed just fine

Dava

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello, my new 3ds with luma and a9hl on the Firmware 11.2.0-35E doesn't Start my r4 Gold Card. He shutdown After start the card App. Anyone knows the Problem?

Last edited by Dava,

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
By crash you mean the bottom screen gets all funky and you get the feeling that the 3DS froze? Give like 10-30 secs and then press select. It did that to me once and I just pressed select and it installed just fine

I pressed "Select" and it still doesn't do anything after waiting for 2 mins

I don't get a funky screen, I get a black screen for 1 second then it goes back to browser and stays frozen

Hopefully this 2xrsa browser exploit can be done on N3DS 2.1.0, I have tried clearing all save data in Web browser but still unsure of what to do

Last edited by Miles54321,
D

Deleted-368796

Alright, Luma is running now on the old reiNAND.
Now I need to update from 9.5 -> 11.2. Should I update it from System Settings first before updating Luma? I Just reconfigured menuhax to autoboot into HBL unless you hold L+R, and that should keep it from booting into sysNAND. So I should be safe to update emuNAND without worrying about updating sys instead, right?

Place arm9loaderhax.bin in root of sd card then boot Luma3DS from HBL your not going to be using rei anymore
Thanks again. Was this explained in the 3ds.guide? I read it through about 6 times and never saw mention of putting the .bin in the root of the card. Only saw where it said to put it in the /luma/payloads folder.

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
I pressed "Select" and it still doesn't do anything after waiting for 2 mins

I don't get a funky screen, I get a black screen for 1 second then it goes back to browser and stays frozen

Hopefully this 2xrsa browser exploit can be done on N3DS 2.1.0, I have tried clearing all save data in Web browser but still unsure of what to do

Hmm that's odd. Yeah the ctrtransfer method basically lowers your n3ds all the way to 2.1 and then when you access that website you either: get a funky screen and have to go at it blind or get a menu saying press select to install.

Sounds like maybe you didn't download the v3 of the files from plailetc's guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them