Kojima is working on a Death Stranding movie adaptation

fggfdgfds.png

Hideo Kojima has said before that 70% of his body is made of movies, and now, he'll finally get to actually make one. Kojima Productions has unveiled its next project, which is a film adaptation of Death Stranding. Hammerstone Studios will be financing the movie, and will include the help of Alex Lebovici, executive producer of the 2022 film Barbarian. Development on the project is already underway, and while Kojima is keeping most of the details under wraps, this adaptation will, "introduce new elements and characters within the Death Stranding universe".

“We are thrilled and honored to have the opportunity to partner with brilliant and iconic Hideo Kojima on his first film adaptation,” said Lebovici. “Unlike other big budget tentpole video game adaptations, this will be something far more intimate and grounded. Our goal is to redefine what a video game adaptation could be when you have creative and artistic freedom. This film will be an authentic "Hideo Kojima” production.”

:arrow: Source

Ol' Archimedes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I am curious. I am in the "don't really like Kojima" camp. I do recognize his game dev chops, I mean he wouldn't have gotten this far if he didn't have any, but since the very beginning he would rather have been a movie maker but ended up, kinda begrudgingly, as a game dev. If you look at what he's done so far it looks like he used the gameing industry to sorta scratch that itch he had for ages. Now he finally has the chance to scratch it for real.

Not gonna root for the movie to be either bad or good. Just really curious to see how this story ends.

Reactions: 6Kyojin4

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Square Enix likes this cow called Final Fantasy VII

Just wait till they release the Dirge of Cerberus Remaster.

Honestly I am curious. I am in the "don't really like Kojima" camp. I do recognize his game dev chops, I mean he wouldn't have gotten this far if he didn't have any, but since the very beginning he would rather have been a movie maker but ended up, kinda begrudgingly, as a game dev. If you look at what he's done so far it looks like he used the gameing industry to sorta scratch that itch he had for ages. Now he finally has the chance to scratch it for real.

Not gonna root for the movie to be either bad or good. Just really curious to see how this story ends.

I've liked Kojima's games, but I feel he rise to prominence, as gaming cinematic couldn't compare to movies, his passion pushed him to put more work into the cinematic portion, with great results.

I don't think he would or could cut it in the movie industry, the gaming sector was a more forgiving sector in this regard.

It's a shame, he can make fantastic games, but he's always been distracted by the desire to make movies. It ruined his career ay Konami (Konami are also toxic), it will now continue to distract fir the years ahead, his games will suffer for it.

Ol' Archimedes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've liked Kojima's games, but I feel he rise to prominence, as gaming cinematic couldn't compare to movies, his passion pushed him to put more work into the cinematic portion, with great results.

I don't think he would or could cut it in the movie industry, the gaming sector was a more forgiving sector in this regard.

It's a shame, he can make fantastic games, but he's always been distracted by the desire to make movies. It ruined his career ay Konami (Konami are also toxic), it will now continue to distract fir the years ahead, his games will suffer for it.

Again, I don't like 'em, but I can fully empathize with someone who's had a dream for a long time and finally has the chance to fulfill it. As you said, he's background might work against him, the movie making industry, even with the friends he's made, can prove to be unforgiving towards him and he's general weird and convoluted approach to narative crates the potential for this project to just crash and burn spectacularly.

Regardless of that though I just want to see this happen. I'm just gonna grab my popcorn, sit back and watch this man reach his dream.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
kojima has this ilusion of his since early, just don't get too corrupted, but one thing is for sure, it will stink, go back to jp kojima.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Death Stranding had interesting story and good graphics... but it was a big disappointment (you can rapidly get bored)

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I don't like 'em, but I can fully empathize with someone who's had a dream for a long time and finally has the chance to fulfill it. As you said, he's background might work against him, the movie making industry, even with the friends he's made, can prove to be unforgiving towards him and he's general weird and convoluted approach to narative crates the potential for this project to just crash and burn spectacularly.

Regardless of that though I just want to see this happen. I'm just gonna grab my popcorn, sit back and watch this man reach his dream.

I agree with anyone wanting to fulfil a dream or pursuing something they're passionate about. Most of the story lines Kojima has written or worked with are not that great, but worked and were popular, as the resources weren't invested in this area in other games (at the time).

All of Kojima's stories have also been plagiarised from others work, in one way or another, not to say I didn't enjoy his games, I did.

I just feel telling a story in a game and on the big screen are quite different, I think his way of story telling suits gaming very well, hence his success. I'm not confident about his success in a straight up movie, although I'm sure it will do fairly well financially, he has a big following due to MGS days.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah! The Hideo Kojima movie, based of "Death Stranding" a Hideo Kojima game, videogame adaptation : Hideo Kojima, directed by Hideo Kojima, screenplay : Hideo Kojima, screenwriter : Hideo Kojima etc.

Reactions: diggeloid

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is genuinely exciting for me. Kojima game stories sometimes lean into Square Enix levels of nonsense, but I've always enjoyed them. Like MGS4 is convoluted and sometimes drawn out, but I enjoyed it a lot. The man knows how to direct engaging scenes, even if they're confusing at times.

But Death Stranding? Idk about that. I loved the game, but it doesn't seem all that interesting for a film adaptation. There's too much vague weirdness and cheesy characters. Video games are really forgiving with things like that, but a movie is going to make that a tougher sell I think. But whatever, I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: Deckard5621

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...