Hacking Is OTPless A9LH Safe?

• Thread starter Deleted-394630
  • Start date
  • Views 12,391
  • Replies 129

Did you brick while using the OTPless A9LH installation method?

• Yes

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 81 84.4%

• Total voters

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Don't worry, English is my native language, and I understood just what you did.:rofl2:
Thanks, hope you pass OTPless without problem.

May be the guide should give a suggestion about both Old OTP way and OTPless on N3DS and let the users making their choice.
Going OTPless has a chance of Unknow brick while Old OTP way have a chance of 2.0 Downgrade Brick.
Let the users select their own method.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher
D

Deleted-394630

OP
Thanks, hope you pass OTPless without problem.

May be the guide should give a suggestion about both Old OTP way and OTPless on N3DS and let the users making their choice.
Going OTPless has a chance of Unknow brick while Old OTP way have a chance of 2.0 Downgrade Brick.
Let the users select their own method.
I was thinking the same thing. @Plailect

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
since the cause of bricks are still not clear, i would recommand sticking with the otp required version. for n3ds, just follow the guide with o3ds route. remenber not to close the lid on 2.1 then you'
ll be safe.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since the cause of bricks are still not clear, i would recommand sticking with the otp required version. for n3ds, just follow the guide with o3ds route. remenber not to close the lid on 2.1 then you'
ll be safe.
I successfully did the otpless method. Do you know if there is anyway to get my OTP from the already installed A9LH? I'm asking for update installs.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's safe. Compared to the amount of people who have successfully done this, the amount who have bricked are so far and few. With that said, Aurora is still updating arm9loaderhax and SafeA9LHInstaller in attempt to prevent any bricking whatsoever. They were updated today I believe, so you'll have to compile them yourself.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm like 99% sure most of those bricks are from people using incompatible versions of programs. I.E "Oh, I already have this program so I guess I don't need to download it!" Not realizing it's an older version and may not be compatible (Mostly referring to SafeA9LHInstaller and the Data input v1-4). Seems like that's probably the cause of the majority of bricks, as it's always been people trying to shortcut when they shouldn't. I download EVERYTHING even if I just got the files a week ago because you never know. I haven't bricked a console yet and I've installed about 90 or so since the start of 2016. I absolutely LOVE the OTPless method Lol

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I successfully did the otpless method. Do you know if there is anyway to get my OTP from the already installed A9LH? I'm asking for update installs.
I remember someone said update A9LH doesn't need OTP.bin in both ways.
But if you really need OTP, you can just back up your NAND, CTRtransfer to 2.1, get OTP.bin (May need to remove A9LH first once 2.1), then restore your NAND back up.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you mean that 20% of your N3DSXL's have bricked.

Each one of your N3DSXL's have a 0.0065% chance of bricking.

90% of statistics on the internet are made up on the spot.

I just did OTPless today successfully. There's enough reports of bricks that there's no way "0.0065%" is even close to correct. It seems safe enough but some people got unlucky and got a brick. It's hard to know if the cause of those bricks are fixed when the cause of the bricks are unknown, unfortunately.

Reactions: Skyshadow101

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
90% of statistics on the internet are made up on the spot.

I just did OTPless today successfully. There's enough reports of bricks that there's no way "0.0065%" is even close to correct. It seems safe enough but some people got unlucky and got a brick. It's hard to know if the cause of those bricks are fixed when the cause of the bricks are unknown, unfortunately.
That number comes from the dev.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That number comes from the dev.

It doesn't matter where it comes from, anyone who can do basic math should be able to see that it is incorrect. 0.0065% is 13/200,000. I don't know if there are 13 confirmed bricks (though 14 people have indicated on the poll that they were bricked by it) but there's no bloody way that 200,000 people have used the OTPless installation. It hasn't been around all that long.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
0.0065% actually equates 13 out of 200,000 installs
I'm guessing that figure was plucked out of the air, even if he actually did some maths and counted it based on page views on his guide that still doesn't represent a unique install per view, so it's probably just a place holder for "very rarely bricks but I want you to be reassured that it's a tiny figure"
ll be safe.
there has also been bricks caused by the 2.1 downgrade failing mid downgrade on the n3ds....well I have only fixed one, so less than the otpless bricks, but still not 100% safe

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we're painting with too broad of a brush. These different versions of OTPless coming out do different things. Since every version of OTPless is different, then each has it's own probability of bricking. Maybe we should be asking WHICH version is safe/not safe. yes, maybe there are a lot of bricks, but which version did you use; that's what we should be asking.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think we're painting with too broad of a brush. These different versions of OTPless coming out do different things. Since every version of OTPless is different, then each has it's own probability of bricking. Maybe we should be asking WHICH version is safe/not safe. yes, maybe there are a lot of bricks, but which version did you use; that's what we should be asking.
well the root cause is probably going to be the same issue between versions, so the brick rate is probably going to be pretty similar across all versions until that cause is figured out....personally I'm thinking it's just a system quirk in the reset process that cannot be avoided, but we had another update a few days ago so let's see how everyone gets on with that one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: Pleasure to meet you +1