Hacking Is OTPless A9LH Safe?

• Thread starter Deleted-394630
  • Start date
  • Views 12,273
  • Replies 129

Did you brick while using the OTPless A9LH installation method?

• Yes

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 81 84.4%

• Total voters

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's complete bullshit actually. Every form of hacking comes with a risk and I go into every hack full knowing that this might end up breaking my system. That's the cost of hacking.
There's a small number of people who've bricked as a result of this method. I am willing to risk a small chance of bricking.

Until you brick using an unsafer method.

The fact that it's been pulled speaks volumes. I have no idea why some individuals see this as a point of debate. Sure, you've got to accept the risk of something breaking but I can't see why the attachment to OTPLess exists when experienced and skilled hardmodders themselves attest to dealing with case after case of bricked N3DS units that inexplicably died when their users ran SafeA9HLInstaller. The volume of these cases simply didn't exist prior to OTPLess / SafeA9LHInstaller 2.5.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well that's the thing the 2.1 bricks are caused by something determinable, you can avoid going into sleep mode, or leaving your 3ds in idle on 2.1, but you cannot avoid hitting install on the otpless , so while you may have bricks on ctrtransfer they are caused by user ignorance rather than just a totally random unavoidable game of chance

don't get me wrong it's a shame as otpless is/was really good, maybe the guide could be given both options with a frank warning before proceeding with otpless about the real risks

I never had an issue with OTPless, used twice on 2 systems, no issues. However, the suggestion of making it an option in the guide doesn't help because the user will not take the risk, they'll now always go for the 2.1 method. I liked the faster method, but ah well.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Until you brick using an unsafer method.

The fact that it's been pulled speaks volumes. I have no idea why some individuals see this as a point of debate. Sure, you've got to accept the risk of something breaking but I can't see why the attachment to OTPLess exists when experienced and skilled hardmodders themselves attest to dealing with case after case of bricked N3DS units that inexplicably died when they ran SafeA9HLInstaller. The volume of these cases simply didn't exist prior to OTPLess / SafeA9LHInstaller 2.5.
Listen here, please do not speak on my behalf as if you know me. I have a pile of failed projects sitting my closet right now. Projects that I willingly put at risk and failed at. You know what I did? I learned from my mistakes and moved on. Just because something fails doesn't mean I give up, it means I learn from the mistake and move on.
Because everything has a risk, thus far there have been small numbers of bricks. But there are still far more success stories compared to bricks.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen here, please do not speak on my behalf as if you know me. I have a pile of failed projects sitting my closet right now. Projects that I willingly put at risk and failed at. You know what I did? I learned from my mistakes and moved on. Just because something fails doesn't mean I give up, it means I learn from the mistake and move on.
Because everything has a risk, thus far there have been small numbers of bricks. But there are still far more success stories compared to bricks.

What mistake is learned from bricking on OTPless? "Maybe I shouldn't have been a moron and took the extra 10 minutes?" The guide is meant to be usable by complete newbies. Including an unsafer option to save a small bit of time is just asking for more confusion and more people having problems.

Reactions: nccom

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What mistake is learned from bricking on OTPless? "Maybe I shouldn't have been a moron and took the extra 10 minutes?" The guide is meant to be usable by complete newbies. Including an unsafer option to save a small bit of time is just asking for more confusion and more people having problems.
The lesson learned is that all forms of hacks come with a risk. I didn't get into this thinking everything was sunshine and rainbows. I don't pretend everything is safe. But I can still use this method, it may not be part of guide, but it's also not rocket science.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I learned to reduce the risk of an inexplicable brick by sticking to the slightly longer procedure..the hard way, back when the OTPLess brick wasn't an established thing. I'm sorry if my brick went some way towards making The Guide just that little bit safer for those of us who don't necessarily see avoidable failures as badges of honour.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I learned to reduce the risk of an inexplicable brick by sticking to the slightly longer procedure..the hard way, back when the OTPLess brick wasn't an established thing. I'm sorry if my brick went some way towards making The Guide just that little bit safer for those of us who don't necessarily see avoidable failures as badges of honour.
I don't see them as a badge or honor, but as a reminder that mistakes can happen. They are also great for parts.
But honestly. this thread did a complete 180. I seriously love how quickly everyone turned the second it removed from the guide.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find this quite interesting.Most of everyone getting bricked with the otpless method are people who have more than 1 N3ds and can afford to brick,while people who are sticking to menuhax probably don't want to brick there only 3ds they own.Not everyone is made of MONEY$$$,so it's still pretty smart to go the cautious route or accept the risks before they happen.
Yup I own 3 3ds'.
2 that are hacked. One O3DS with Gateway and the other one where I have just installed the A9LH on it,

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly this thread - fascinating though it is - could've concluded with a one word answer: 'Yes', which you accept and have made abundantly clear that it's a risk you're happy to take. That's great - but that's part of another discussion if you remind yourself what the title of the topic actually is.

And rather than 'turning' the moment The Guide finally acknowledged the issue I feel some relief that a) fewer people will now brick their machine; that b) those who do brick - and are 100% sure that it wasn't due to their own incompetence - aren't treated as idiots too proud to admit they fucked up and c) that the amazing devs that make this all possible in the first place will stop getting shit from people who take no responsibility for hacking their machine in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y