Tutorial  Updated

How to use a larger than 2TB Hard Drive on a Wii as a Single FAT32 Partition

*The Issue: [SOLVED] How can I use a larger than 2TB GTP Hard Drive on a Wii as one single MBR FAT32 partition? [SOLVED]

Make sure to see the potential issues with EmuNAND and FIRMWARE noted below ***

This is a twice boiled down version of a couple previous posts from several years ago. This question comes up from time to time and rather than constantly referring people to my 5 year old post that I have to hunt down and that is a bit convoluted talking about various drive sizes and processes, I thought maybe it would be better as an original tutorial that is more to the point and easier to find. One of those previous posts from 2016 can be found here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1129#post-6662953

Here in this revision I focus mainly on using 5TB Western Digital drives because all NTSC Wii, NTSC GameCube & non-NTSC PAL/JAP titles will fit. You would be best to read through everything a couple times to understand the process before proceeding with the steps. While there are other tools and processes others may have come up with, the following is the process I have used myself many, many, many times over. Feel free to seek out other alternatives as you see fit.

Potential Issues:
  • EmuNAND - It has been reported on 10/28/21 by a user that EmuNAND does NOT work with this method using 64k or 256k cluster size. This would be a problem if you are trying to have EVERYTHING work off just the HDD and do NOT want to use an SD card. At the moment the only choices seem to be:
A) Use EmuNAND off an SD card large enough for your needs​
B) Use a 4TB or smaller HDD formatted with the 32k cluster size​

• Drive Firmware - It has been reported on 06/01/22 by a user that a 5TB WD My Passport purchased around May 2022 was not recognized by the WD Quick Formatter software due to the firmware not supporting the changing of the block size. I haven't bought a My Passport dive in a couple years and will have to purchase a few to see if I can replicate the issue so the pending questions are:
A) Will others run into this issue or is it more of a rare occurrence?​
B) Will this become an issue with any newly produced WD drive size because of current firmware versions??​
C) My version of WD Quick Drive Formatter is v1.2.0.10, what version is currently available for download on the WD site and would that make a difference?​
C) If new firmware becomes and issue can the drives firmware be downgraded to allow WD Quick Formatter to work?​

My Wii:

Original Nintendo Wii (not a Wii U), however I did have a report that it works for the Wii U as well. While I do have a couple Wii U's, I'm lazy and have yet to finish modding them to try it myself.

What I Recommend:

**06/09/22
Firmware on newer drives might be an issue. My recommendation listed below are previous to being made aware of potential issues**

I recommend Western Digital drives because there is WD software that indirectly converts the GPT drive partition to MBR. It has been found that most other drive manufactures do not work because they do not offer this ability, so my recommendation is to stick with using a Western Digital drive. This method has always worked for me on drive sizes of 3TB, 4TB, 6TB, 8TB & 10TB. I found there was no need to continue on with trying my 12TB & 18TB drives.

5TB is the sweet spot, but any size 3TB+ Western Digital drive should work. I have personally used MyBooks, Passports, and the P10 Game Drive. Others have told me their Essentials & Elements drive also worked. I will include additional information as needed for the different drive sizes I've used, but for me the sweet spot is the 5TB because it will hold all NTSC Wii, NTSC GameCube titles, PAL and Japanese titles that did not have a NTSC counterpart, and those that have various versions released.

I do NOT use EmuNAND off the HDD because it has always been installed to my 256GB SDXC card. There is a report that EmuNAND will NOT work on a 5TB+ HDD using this method. For more information in this issue see the "Potential Issues" area below.

Recommended External Drive (one of the following drives and a Y-cable):
or​
These drives will most likely work with the regular cable, but you never know if your ports are weak on power, so for a few bucks it’s always nice to have a Y-cable on hand in case it is needed:

The Basic Steps (using a Western Digital Hard Drive):
  1. Merge all items on WD HDD into 1 partition
  2. Converting the GPT partition to a MBR partition
  3. Select the proper cluster size and format the entire drive as FAT32
  4. Optional - Set drive to as ACTIVE & PRIMARY
  5. Some of my programs and setting in use
  6. Links to Wii items I feel helpful
  7. Thanks to those over the years who have helped me with this quest
  8. Miscellaneous pictures

The More Detailed Steps:

1 - Merge all items on WD HDD into 1 partition

-Using EaseUS Partition Master (or the partition manager of your choice) check the drives partitions:
-It is very important you merge any other partitions showing such as unallocated, hidden, marked with an ASTERIX, or ??
-Picture below shows what I am talking about on Drive C, all of these need to be merged
-Merge any and all into the main partition, you want just one partition showing and nothing else at all
-Link to free version of EaseUS Partition Master: http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

1.jpg

2 - Converting the GPT partition to a MBR partition

-Using EaseUS Partition Master (or the partition manager of your choice) check the drive to see if its partition is MBR or GPT:
-If your drive is MBR skip this step and continue onto step 3
-If your drive is GPT, less than 2TB and you want a free partition manager tool go to step 2a
-If your drive is GPT, less than 2TB and you want a paid partition manager tool go to step 2b
-If your drive is GPT, a Western Digital drive & larger than 2TB go to step 2c

2a - Change the GPT drive partition to a MBR partition if your drive is 2TB or less:​
-Free tools to aid in this conversion:​
  • To be added as I find them

2b - Change the GPT drive partition to a MBR partition if your drive is 2TB or less:​
-PAID for tools to aid in this conversion:​
  • EaseUS Partition Master
-My free version did not have this option but my paid version does since v12 and up​
-Changing the WD drives partition above 2TB will not work using this method, it has the 2TB conversion limit, so go to step 2c if your drive is larger than 2TB​
-If you find more recent versions offer more functionality please let me know and I will update this post​
Convert GPT to MBR.jpg

2c - Change the GPT drive partition to a MBR partition if your drive is larger than 2TB using WD Quick Formatter:​
-Note: This most likely will not work on a hard drive that's not made by Western Digital, it scans for compatible drives automatically.​
-If using another manufacturer you will have to search to see if they make tools for something similar​
-Used to convert a larger than 2TB HDD to be Windows XP compatible​
-Once running WD Quick Formatter click on CONTINUE then ACCEPT and it will scan for drives​
-Available drives will be listed and if there is more than one select the correct drive to format​
-For configuration select XP COMPATIBLE and then click FORMAT DRIVE
-Important: In doing this conversion it formats the drive to one single NTFS partition and changes the partition table from GPT to MBR​
-I'm on Windows 10, maybe it makes a difference what OS you are on when you run it, but you might get an error​
-Using this on my 4TB Passport & 5TB P-10 Black Game Drives I received an error about "no recognizable file system on the drive", just click OK and let the format finish and once complete click FINISH
-This process can take several minutes but it did finish so give it time​
5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (4).png 5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (6).png 5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (7).png

3 - Select the proper cluster size and format the entire drive as FAT32
-Use FAT32 GUI Formatter to format the drive to FAT32:
-Original links seem to be working again (http://ridgecrop.co.uk)
-32-bit Link: http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
-64-bit Link: http://ridgecrop.co.uk/guiformat-x64.Exe

Cluster size will depend on the size of drive you are using. If you use a different cluster size the entire drive may not be accessible and I would recommend reformatting using my recommendations below:
  • 4TB and smaller drive: Select 32k clusters (Allocation Unit Size: 32768)
  • 5TB to 8TB drive: Select 64k clusters (Allocation Unit Size: 65536)
  • 10TB drive: 256k clusters (Allocation Unit Size: ????)
  • 12TB & Above: Unknown, I never tested past 10TB
5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (14).png 5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (16).png 5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (17).png

4 – (Optional) Set drive to as ACTIVE & PRIMARY
-Using EaseUS Partition Master set the drive as ACTIVE & PRIMARY:
-Some say this is not needed, but I always set my drives as ACTIVE & PRIMARY
-Worse case this has no effect so I still do it anyways

5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (8).png 5TB Wii FAT32 64k Setup (9).png

5 - Some of my programs and setting in use
-My Wii: NTSC Wii (original Wii, not Wii U)

-Version #'s currently in use updated: 2019-05-21
-**My versions in use shown probably need to be updated
-CFG USB Loader v71beta51t3
-USB Loader GX v3.0rev1271
-WiiFlow Lite v5.3.0beta6
-Nintendont v5.486MMMOD
-All loaders set to use IOS249[57] D2X v8-final
-IOS249[base57]
-IOS250[base56]
-IOS251[base58]

6 - Links to Wii items I feel helpful
-My Wii’s Modded with ModMii, Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/
-CFG USB Loader Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/configurable-usb-loader.147638/
-USB Loader GX Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/
-WiiFlow Lite Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-lite.422685/
-Nintendont Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

7 - Thanks to those over the years who have helped me with this quest
-Thanks @element6, @GreyWolf, @Elliander, @XFlak & many others I probably have missed for help getting to this point

8 - Miscellaneous pictures
-Yes I have about 32 Wii's just for myself (4 of each type plus my test Wiis) and over 210TB in external hard drive space I'm constantly fiddling with. It would seem that my OCD has ADD making me obsessively collect randomly.

IMG_20210222_224416095.jpg 4.jpg IMG_20180223_220406588.jpg 5.jpg IMG_20210222_224213708 2.jpg IMG_20210222_224233063 3.jpg

Last edited by ca032769,

Pushy82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I quite literally posted EXACTLY what needed to be done to do this with ANY 3TB+ drive.

It's not complicated, you just need a USB 3.0 enclosure that supports 4K emulation. ASM1153/ASM1153E works for that purpose, and they're cheap. $15.
Post automatically merged:

Shuck the drive, buy an ASM1153E USB 3.0 enclosure, download ASM MPTool with latest firmware for ASM1153E at Station Drivers, then flash it with the "2TB" flag checked in advanced options.

It will work then. Without a doubt.
I quite literally posted EXACTLY what needed to be done to do this with ANY 3TB+ drive.

It's not complicated, you just need a USB 3.0 enclosure that supports 4K emulation. ASM1153/ASM1153E works for that purpose, and they're cheap. $15.

Shuck the drive, buy an ASM1153E USB 3.0 enclosure, download ASM MPTool with latest firmware for ASM1153E at Station Drivers, then flash it with the "2TB" flag checked in advanced options.

It will work then. Without a doubt.
Hi! just trying this but it looks like that specific download is not available anymore from station drivers. Does anyone have another link or way of downloading it?

Hi! just trying this but it looks like that specific download is not available anymore from station drivers. Does anyone have another link or way of downloading it?
Apologies, the ASM2115 firmware which is still available at station drivers says it's for the ASM1153E. Assuming you just use the latest one? Just don't want to brick enclosure!

Last edited by Pushy82,

Cuprium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Apologies, the ASM2115 firmware which is still available at station drivers says it's for the ASM1153E. Assuming you just use the latest one? Just don't want to brick enclosure!
I found an enclosure on Amazon with the ASM1153e chip (UGREEN enclosure for $11.99), plus some of the older Micro-B USB 3.1:SATA adapters from Seagate 2TB drives use the ASM1153. I'm willing to try it, but it would be helpful if someone could provide download links and how-to guidance.

Pushy82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I found an enclosure on Amazon with the ASM1153e chip (UGREEN enclosure for $11.99), plus some of the older Micro-B USB 3.1:SATA adapters from Seagate 2TB drives use the ASM1153. I'm willing to try it, but it would be helpful if someone could provide download links and how-to guidance.
Used the guide on youtube 'ASMedia Dumping and Flashing USB SSD HDD Driver Adapters' 'and linked dumping tool for my Orico 2569S3 2.5 inch enclosure with shucked 5tb seagate to find out correct firmware.

Found the latest firmware from station drivers and flashed firmware correctly, in my case it was 140509, however harddrive would shut down whilst formatting... Seems like there is a 10 minute time out. Used file I found from plugable that was the later version of the firmware, unzipped and flashed.

MPTool is now saying it is formatting drive however gives up half way saying it has failed... Have ticked the 2tb checkbox as mentioned and put type as FAT32 and partition type as MBR. Is there anything else I am missing or doing incorrectly?

Do I need to stick to these correct firmware branch or are all the 1153E firmwares on stationndrivers compatible? As there are more recent ones.

Also newer versions of the MPTool do not have as many options such as the 2tb flag so used older one. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by Pushy82,
Reactions: Cuprium

Cuprium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the MPTool/ASM 1153E route is not as straightforward to implement. Aside from that, we only have three choices from what I see:

1. Use 2TB or smaller external drives formatted to FAT32 (with supporting SD card)
2. Find WD 4 or 5TB drives that still have the older firmware that allows single FAT32 partition with WD Quick Formatter and Guiformat
3. Use a FAT32 SD card and NTFS USB drive.

Are there any critical Wii Homebrew apps that can't access games from a NTFS external drive?

Reactions: Pushy82

Cuprium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4. Try to get a Enterprise drive with 4k native sector size. For Details see in this thread here.
Thank you, I forgot about that option! I did try to activate 4kn on my Seagate 5TB 2.5" using SeaChest, but either the drive firmware or the SATA/USB adapter prevent it. I'm still holding out for an option to connect a USB-powered drive to access Wii and retro games from the console.

Are there any game emulators or loaders that won't work with a NTFS-formatted drive (with a FAT32 SD card for NAND emu)?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
did try to activate 4kn on my Seagate 5TB 2.5" using SeaChest, but either the drive firmware or the SATA/USB adapter prevent it
Yes, there a two generations and is mainly prevented on Gen 1 drives. There should be a label on the drive.
  • Gen 1 (AF label) has 4k nativ but is forced to emulate 512kb, this cant be changed or only if supported.
  • Gen 2 (4kn label) drives have 4k nativ and can emulate 512kb if supported.

Reactions: Cuprium

Cuprium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there a two generations and is mainly prevented on Gen 1 drives. There should be a label on the drive.
  • Gen 1 (AF label) has 4k nativ but is forced to emulate 512kb, this cant be changed or only if supported.
  • Gen 2 (4kn label) drives have 4k nativ and can emulate 512kb if supported.
Confirmed, the Seagate 5TB 2.5" is a Gen 1 AF label drive. I'm going to try option 3 to see if I run into any compatibility problems.

Reactions: Sypherone

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If using this 5TB drive, as you already know only the first 2TB will be useable/readable by the (v)Wii.
And this drive for sure cant use MBR partiton table as it only can allocate the first 2TB on the drive by 512kb sectorsize. So the drive will have GPT Partition table only, ntfs fileformat and therefore it can be used mainly by USB Loaders (GX / Wiiflow), not even by Nintendont.

Most homebrew require fat32 including MBR. Therefore its normaly recommended to have at least a small primary fat32 partition on the drive.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: Pushy82 and Cuprium

Pushy82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If using this 5TB drive, as you already know only the first 2TB will be useable/readable by the (v)Wii.
And this drive for sure cant use MBR partiton table as it only can allocate the first 2TB on the drive by 512kb sectorsize. So the drive will have GPT Partition table only, ntfs fileformat and therefore it can be used mainly by USB Loaders (GX / Wiiflow), not even by Nintendont.

Most homebrew require fat32 including MBR. Therefore its normaly recommended to have at least a small primary fat32 partition on the drive.
Gave up on the idea of having one drive and just having one 2tb drive for GameCube games and decided to use 5tb for Wii games in NTFS and swap them. Using USB loader gx. GameCube works fine. Tried with a few games using Wii backup manager and 5tb drive and games showed up fine and played. Put other games that totalled 2.3gb on but now no games are showing up but USB loader gx is showing HDD saying that 2.3gb is used and amount space free. Are you saying the 2tb limit applies to NTFS formatted drives? Thanks!

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you saying the 2tb limit applies to NTFS formatted drives? Thanks!
This hole thread exist because of this limitations of 2TB no matter which partition table, filesystem or partitions you use:

Drive max capacity
  • On drives bigger then 2TB the (v)Wii can only read/use the first 2TB, no matter of used filesystem, partition table or multipartition . The (v)Wii by itself can max address 2^32 sectors, this starts at sector 0 and results by 512B Sectorsize in max 2TB readable content. Or a "fake MBR" can be tryed to setup.
  • Fat32 and MBR are 32bit based and on a drive with physical sector-size of 512 Byte limited to a max drive size of 2TB.
    • On upcoming generation 2 drives with "Advanced Format" (4kn label) the sector size is 4096b (4kn = native) and limited to 8TB(32kb)/16TB(64kb) drive size.
    • The manufacturing of this AF drives started 2010, the consumer HDD`s are still mainly AF/Gen 1 with 512be (emulation) because of backwards compatibily, while enterprise HHD`s are going to be 4kn/Gen 2 with 4kn (nativ) sectorsize.
Fat32:
  • Fat32 can max allocate 2^28=268.435.456 (4bits are reserved) sectors and with a physical block-/sector size of 512 Byte on the drive, can max 2 TB be allocated. On a drive with 4KiB physical block-/sector size the drive can be 16TB.
  • Bassically to use more then 2TB on a drive, a generation 2 "Advanced Format Technology (AF)" drive with 4kb (4096b or "4kn" = native) sectorsize is required and are limited to 8TB(32kb)/16TB(64kb). This generation 2 drives are backwards compatible with 512be (e=emulated), to check the physical and used sectorsize use Powershell fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <drive letter>: and check the lines "Bytes per Sector" and "Bytes per physical Sector". Manufacturer provide a tool to change the used sectorsize. Gen 1 AF drives are forced to 512be only.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Pushy82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Gave up on the idea of having one drive and just having one 2tb drive for GameCube games and decided to use 5tb for Wii games in NTFS and swap them. Using USB loader gx. GameCube works fine. Tried with a few games using Wii backup manager and 5tb drive and games showed up fine and played. Put other games that totalled 2.3gb on but now no games are showing up but USB loader gx is showing HDD saying that 2.3gb is used and amount space free. Are you saying the 2tb limit applies to NTFS formatted drives? Thanks!
Sorry meant TB not GB. Thanks Sypherone, apologies I thought 2tb was only limit for fat32 used for GameCube and not NTFS for wii. I'll use 2 seperate drives to have 2tb fat32 GameCube and 2tb NTFS wii and move the 0.3tb wii games onto the Gamecube HDD. Thanks again for help.

Last edited by Pushy82,

Cuprium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to have a 4 or 5TB 2.5" hard drive connected to the Wii, however only specific Western Digital models work with firmware that supports WD Quick Format for XP Compatibility followed by Guiformat to a single FAT32 partition (32k). I've tried with a Seagate 5TB, but like others, I found it is locked out to accessing as 4k sectors. Sypherone is spot on that either you need a Gen2 AF drive or the older WD 2.5" drives that support it. It looks like drives manufactured mid-2022 and newer have a different controller and firmware locking them to 512e like the Seagate. Does anyone have an idea what WD P/Ns can be changed? I have a 4TB WDBPKJ0040BBK-0B that works on the Wii. I found a WDBPKJ0050BBK-0A 5TB that works too.

HaikDio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, I bought a WD that the OP put, the WD BLACK P10 of 5TB... does it still have to be formatted in FAT32 or can it be used in NTFS to use it in the latest version of Wiiflow Lite 5.5.3?

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
it might work in NTFS, but only for wii games.
I would make not one but two fat32 partitions. 1TB for GC and homebrew, and another 4TB partition for a large wii collection. This way you can keep cluster size to 32k which is the most compatble.
You can use just one giant fat32 partition but for a 5TB disk the cluster size has to be the larger 64k. In theory that works too but problems may arise with savedata, emunands...

Reactions: Cuprium and HaikDio

HaikDio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
it might work in NTFS, but only for wii games.
I would make not one but two fat32 partitions. 1TB for GC and homebrew, and another 4TB partition for a large wii collection. This way you can keep cluster size to 32k which is the most compatble.
You can use just one giant fat32 partition but for a 5TB disk the cluster size has to be the larger 64k. In theory that works too but problems may arise with savedata, emunands...
Ok, I'll do that then, thanks!!

HaikDio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
First of all, make sure that the logical sector size is 4k and partition type is MBR (not GPT).
and how does that look? I have already made the partitions and I know that I have it in MBR, before I had it in GPT, which I don't know about 4K or how it looks

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I shared an idea with @ca032769 back in April for him to test but I'm not sure if he ever did, and I don't have the hardware necessary to test. Anyway, I guess I'll share my idea below in case someone else is able to test and who knows, maybe this can get large non-WD working with the Wii

Copy and paste of my PM to @ca032769 below:

I have an idea to try to get non WD hard drives that are >2TB working with your WD software to convert to MBR. check out this link: <https://www.howtohaven.com/system/change-disk-signature.shtml> Basically we are going to try to intentionally create a disk collision, lol, we should always be able to reverse this later. But follow the steps from the link above to only retrive the uniqueid disk ID of one of your WD hard drives that work with the software. Then disconnect it and plug in a non-WD drive that's >2TB, do the same thing and make a note of it's original uniqueid disk ID before changing it to match the ID from the WD HDD. Follow the steps again to confirm the ID successfully changed, then load up your WD software and check if it will now accept the non-WD hdd (but now with a WD uniqueid disk ID). It's worth noting that windows cannot load 2 drives with the same signature at the same time. The only reason I knew to think of this was because I once bought 2 HDD's of the same type at the same time, so I used this method to slightly change the ID of one of them to solve it.
@ca032769 any luck?

@everyone else, I think ca032769 has gotten busy IRL. If anyone else has a drive that works with the WD software, we can see if cloning it's drive signature on a non-WD drive will get it working.

If I had a working large WD drive and a large non-WD drive I could test this theory in an hour or so. It's been almost a year since I had this idea...

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know about 4K or how it looks
If its MBR or GPT can simply be checked in the Windows drivemanager and to check the used sectorsize see this post. Then if its "4kn" labeled and the drive supports it, there should be a tool provided by WD to choose 512b emulation or 4k native.

Reactions: HaikDio

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto