How to dump your own 3DS/DS games/saves.

How to dump your own 3DS/DS games/saves.

There's three different ways to dump your own 3DS/DS games/saves.
(The tools used to dump 3DS/DSi games are not currently public.)
  • WiFi
    • PROS
      • Only needs a Slot-1 card.
    • CONS
      • Needs WiFi set up to let the DS connect, which isn't always possible.
      • Needs you to run a server program on your computer, which might mean you need to dig around in your firewall settings.
      • Slow transfer speeds (hours for the larger games).
      • Will not work on a DSi/XL.
      • Does not work with any DSi games.
      -
  • Slot-2
    • PROS
      • Can be done without wireless.
    • CONS
      • Requires a Slot-2 flash card in addition to a slot-1.
      • Won't work if the internal battery is dead.
      • Will not work on a 3DS/DSi/XL.
      • Does not work with any DSi games.
      -
  • Hardware
    • PROS
      • Backs up any save.
      • Fast backup speeds.
      • Doesn't require a specific DS model.
      • Works on all known DS games AND current-known 3DS games.
    • CONS
      • Doesn't dump the ROM.
      • Requires you to buy some hardware.
      • Uses unsigned drivers, so you may need to fiddle with some windows settings to use it.
      • Does not work with DSi games.
-

The tool used to dump games is Wood Dumper.
  1. Transfer that file to your Slot-1 flash card.
  2. Run it.
  3. When it tells you to "Set a target card", take your Slot-1 flash cart out and put the actual game cart in.
  4. Press A, and then look for an IP address on the top screen.
  5. Go to your computer, and open Firefox3+, IE8+ or Chrome 5+.
  6. In the address bar, type "ftp://", then the IP address listed on the DS, followed by a colon, then the number 21. For example something like ftp://192.168.2.4:21.
  7. If in firefox you get a message that the port is blocked, you need to unblock port 21. If not, skip this step.
    • In the address bar, type "about:config" with no quotes and press enter.
    • Agree to the warning.
    • Right-click in the window and choose New -] String.
    • For the name, type "network.security.ports.banned.override" with no quotes.
    • For the value, use "21" with no quotes.
    • Restart firefox and try again.
  8. Just press enter if it asks you for a username and password.
  9. The screen that shows up should list the game as a file. Click it to start downloading it from the DS.
-

The tool used to dump game saves depends...
For 3DS saves, you will need DSaveManager.

For normal DS saves, the tool is NDS Backup Tool WiFi.
(For Heartgold/Soulsilver/Black/White, you need this tool.)
You will also need SmallFTPd 1.0.3.
  1. Transfer both the program and it's .INI file to your flash cart.
  2. Find your computer's internal/local IP address. In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista/7, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. In the black box that comes up, type "ipconfig" and press enter. It'll list a series of four numbers as your IP(v4) address, like 192.168.2.3. Write those down.
  3. Edit the .INI file that comes with the backup program. You can edit it with a text editor like notepad. Change the IP address to the one you found in the previous step, and change the port number from 21 to 8080. Change both the user name and password to "test" with no quotes. Save the changes.
  4. You may need to go into your firewall or other security program and allow access on port 8080.
  5. Open SmallFTPd.
  6. Go to Settings - General, and set the port to 8080.
  7. Go to Settings - Advanced, and check "use local IP".
  8. Go to Settings - Users. Choose to add one, and make sure it's username and password are both "test" with no quotes. For "directories", use "c:\temp" (no quotes) as the physical path. Give the user permissions LRW.
  9. Save the settings.
  10. Click the play button, and the server should start.
  11. Run the backup tool on your DS/Lite.
  12. It should connect to your computer. If it does not, double-check your settings and security software.
  13. Take your flash cart out of your DS.
  14. Put the real game in your DS and then press A.
  15. Press B to dump the save.

The tool used depends on which Slot-2 cart you have.

If you have an EZFlash 3in1 the tool to dump games (a.k.a. Rom Backup) and backup saves is NDS Backup Tool 3in1. By default this tool will back up to /NDS_Backup though this location can be changed in the included INI file. It works by copying the original DS game or save data to the 3in1, then after a reboot it copies the backup from the 3in1 to a Slot-1 flash cart. DLDI patching may be required if your flash cart does not support automatic DLDI patching.
  1. Download the tool from the link above and extract the NDS and INI files to the root of your flash cart.
  2. (Optional) If you want to change the destination folder of the backup you can edit the INI file with your favorite text editor.
  3. Make sure an EZFlash 3in1 card is in Slot-2 before you run the tool or it will give a warning and shutdown.
  4. Follow the on screen instructions to swap the flash cart for an original game.
  5. From here follow the on screen instructions. Backups are temporarily written to the EZFlash 3in1.
  6. The DS should shutdown after a backup operation has completed.
  7. Swap the original game for the flash cart and run the tool again to retrieve the backup from the EZFlash 3in1.
-

If you have a Slot-2 flash cart with DLDI support like the Supercard Supercard, M3, or older model EZ4 (the newer models and kernels with SDHC support do not have DS mode and thus no dumping tools) you want Wood Dumper Slot-2
  1. Download the tool and DLDI patch it for your Slot-2 cart.
  2. Transfer it to your Slot-2 cart and run it.
  3. Put the game you want to dump into your DS, and press A.
  4. When it's completed you will find a DS rom with a datestamp in the root of your card.
-

For the save data of Heartgold/Soulsilver you need this tool for a 3-in-1.
There's another tool that works with other Slot-2 carts, but it's experimental for now, use it at your own risk.

One piece of hardware is the NDS backup Adapter+ (plus, not normal). Unlike the original adapter (and other models) this supports newer games with various hardware changes, including Pokemon Heartgold and Pokemon Soulsilver, as well as 3DS games.
This device works by actually sticking a DS game cart into it, and then putting it into a USB port on your computer to back up or restore the game/save on it. It comes with the required software and a manual for using it, but this review includes more detailed instructions as well as information on getting the 64-bit drivers working if needed.

A second device is the NEO SMS4.

One final note: piracy is bad, don't do it. These programs and instructions were created for the legal owners of DS games to backup the games and save data.

Many thanks to Xastabus and FAST6191 for filling in the missing information.

mikebzh44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great news !!

I have found a DSLite and I'm using Wood Dumper r85 and my first dump is transfering ;)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey Rydian,
the first post has an outdated version of my NDS SLOT-2 save tool.
I updated it some time ago supporting a file selector and some bugfixes aswell.
Link
Which one is it? I've never used any of the slot-2 stuff so I don't know which is which, but some of the filetrip links are pointing to a specific version instead of the latest entry.

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously why the hell can't wood do the save files too? The wifi connection tool is utter poop it randomly dissconnects for me, why can't wood switch from game card to save file.

secretsubscriber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello
Just got an AceKard 2i and I've been able to backup the save data from Radiant Historia and Fighting Fantasy, via Wifi with no issue.
But it doesn't work with Suikoden Tierkreis. I get a 64Kb file, but the saves are not found by the game. It seems like some save data exists in the file. If I had no save file, I get a screen at the beginning of the game where I can choose the game's language.
Anyone have experience with this game. I searches aren't turning out anything.

Thanks

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hey guys.

since Nintendo's wifi service shut down, would this still work? I've been trying to find a lookaround but nothing seems to be working.

The wifi settings are all correct and it's showing error 20110 (Service discontinued) after testing the connection.

With this set up after inserting the cartridge I want to back up it shows me "unable to find access point" error.

Just wondering if anyone managed to bypass this or does it mean that the wifi method is completely null now?

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why it wouldn't work since the game save dumper doesn't require nintendo wifi to do it, itjust connects to your AP and then you have to be very particular with it and make sure that all work exactly as it should.

Reactions: migles

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo haven't switched of Wi-fi or internet capabilities of every Wii and DS console, they have just shut down the online play servers.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't know why it wouldn't work since the game save dumper doesn't require nintendo wifi to do it, itjust connects to your AP and then you have to be very particular with it and make sure that all work exactly as it should.

people don't know this doesnt use the internet at all, you only need a wlan connection to your computer (and of course configured)

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It doesn't work. To configure your AP you need to connect to Nintendo WFC to pass the "testing connection" phase.

I've tried it on my ds. Because it never passes this phase, the program doesn't detect it. It's literally nintendo saying sorry, no internet access for you ds lite.

As for Dsi on the other hand, since I don't have a compatible flashcart i'm reduced to my ds. :(

crimsonnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you use DSaveManager on a 3DS? I have a DSTwo running on my 3DS and have set up DSM as per the included readme instructions (it tries to connect to the correct IP) but I end up with a 'Failed to connect!' - any ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over