Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello can someone please help me.
I add a Megadrive rom and can see it on the menu of the mini nes but it wont open.
I am confused about what should go in the user mods folder or the mods folder.
Hoping someone can please assist me.

TxFxL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone have a link to png files of nes 8 bit characters?

i currently have 7 folders and was hoping to have a character that has a game in that folder as the folder picture

dandeleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone else getting the C4 error when trying to save a suspend state for SNES games? Secret of Mana 1 and 2, Scooby Doo Mystery all do it. May just be my setup, but curious if anyone else has gotten this error...

I have and can used suspend states for other SNES and Genesis roms
I am getting the exact same error. I am however able to save state up to 10 or so SNES games before I receive the error. I have 46 SNES games split in 2 folders. And even though they are in different folders. I am still unable to get more than 10 save states for SNES games. I have tested this extensively but I do not know how to remedy this. I also have 650 or so NES games but they work flawlessly.

Reactions: HecklerJH

Ghostwise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting the exact same error. I am however able to save state up to 10 or so SNES games before I receive the error. I have 46 SNES games split in 2 folders. And even though they are in different folders. I am still unable to get more than 10 save states for SNES games. I have tested this extensively but I do not know how to remedy this. I also have 650 or so NES games but they work flawlessly.

I'm having some issues with save states too. It seems sporadic at best but I think it is the larger games that are giving me issues. I have around 95 NES titles in a folder and all of them save. File sizes for NES games are pretty tiny. My SNES folder has around 90 titles and only some of the smaller games will use the save state and those games are all under 2mb. The larger games like FFVI will not utilize the feature. My 30+ Genesis games all save too and they are all relatively small. :)

CalamityRaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having some issues with save states too. It seems sporadic at best but I think it is the larger games that are giving me issues. I have around 95 NES titles in a folder and all of them save. File sizes for NES games are pretty tiny. My SNES folder has around 90 titles and only some of the smaller games will use the save state and those games are all under 2mb. The larger games like FFVI will not utilize the feature. My 30+ Genesis games all save too and they are all relatively small. :)
This should sort that:

Solved my save state problem. I found some games just didn't generate saves when leaving the emulator but after checking the roms all the ones that didn't work had a name that an extra "." (e.g Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.1) [!].smc)

Hackchi2 does some processing on the name to strip out problem characters, but that example file becomes: Final_Fantasy_III__U___V1.1_____.smc and while the game runs no save state is generated leaving the emulator. Stripping out the V1.1 part (really just the period) fixes this. It's quicker to just delete the game from Hakchi2, rename the rom and re-add it rather than renaming it and editing the .desktop manually.

It's worth keeping in mind since this will probably apply to all cores.

Prontorium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So some things I have noticed in SNES games:

- The screen is not formatted properly. It appears to be stretched too far. Sprites in Super SF2 for example are both too thin and too tall. Also, in TMNT IV, the top of the HUD is off screen. Not a big deal, but it is noticeable.
- There seems to be a weird effect going on when the screen scrolls. It creates a dark shimmering effect (not really sure how to describe it). It is really noticeable on darker scenes like the intro part of level 1 in Castlevania 4, level 1 of Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, or even in the dungeon rescue during the prologue of Zelda 3. The Wii U VC has a slight blurring effect instead of this dark shimmering. Anyone else notice this? Is there a way to disable?
- I have heard some weird crackling sounds in games, noticeably when text scrolls. I have noticed it when playing Zelda III and a translated rom of Seiken Densetsu III. It was really noticeable and frequent in SD III.

Is this normal?
Using Super Mario World for testing, I agree that formatting/aspect ratio is off. This may be what is giving the games a shimmering affect as they scroll. I tried and tried to achieve a pixel perfect setting in RetroArch but to no avail. Hopefully, someone as picky as me but smarter will be able to sort this out. As for crackling audio, I didn't notice any but that's not good...

Ghostwise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should sort that:
So I could just rename the Zip to say Final Fantasy III instead of all the extra garbage some of the roms have as names. I would assume it would be the same with others and they'll have no issues loading up. Thanks!]

On second thought, the FFVI rom I have is just labeled as such so I think I got my little NESC at capacity is really what the problem is. :)

Last edited by Ghostwise,

CalamityRaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You might have to rename the rom specifically since Hakchi2 will unzip the archive, but yeah I've had no further problems with my save states on Gameboy, NES or SNES after fixing the rom names.

Reactions: Ghostwise

HeisenMack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, seriously getting frustrated here. Is there ANY WAY to get the 8bitdo Nes30 with retro receiver to work like a SNES controller in retroarch? I really don't want to have to get another controller.

Whoever figures this out will be my hero for life!

Reactions: _Punk_Frog_

Parallax2814

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hakchchi2retro.png

handy option which:
* checks if rom is NES type (logically - only for NES as enabled)
* checked adds retroarch argument for selected game,
* unchecked removes retroarch argument

Attached.
Just unzip, and replace with 2.12 version. Will make github pull request now.

br
condi

@condiczek @Cluster

It would be incredibly helpful for a small variant of this. In the settings menu of the hakchi2 gui, an option to automatically select all games or automatically deselect this option for all games, with that change being instant. Then we could go into a single game and uncheck the box if we don't want that particular game running using retroarch. The way its set up right now, I'm using the --retroarch global command argument, but I have 2 games out of 732 that I don't want to use retroarch with. Those 2 famicom disk system games ran better using the NES Classic emulator as opposed to retroarch. In retroarch, they simply refuse to run at all. I start the game, get a black screen and then get sent back to the NES Classic main gui.

It would be easier to be able to deselect 2 games to not use retroarch rather than click that tiny box 730 times for the rest of the games that I want retroarch running with.

CalamityRaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, seriously getting frustrated here. Is there ANY WAY to get the 8bitdo Nes30 with retro receiver to work like a SNES controller in retroarch? I really don't want to have to get another controller.

Whoever figures this out will be my hero for life!
Ask 8bitdo over in their forum. Their receiver firmware maps all the buttons as A and B (and turbo A and B) not the NES Mini, Hakchi2 or retroarch.

HeisenMack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask 8bitdo over in their forum. Their receiver firmware maps all the buttons as A and B (and turbo A and B) not the NES Mini, Hakchi2 or retroarch.
Thanks for the response. I was hoping that someone had already figured it out.

I've been searching all over but with no luck.

CalamityRaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the response. I was hoping that someone had already figured it out.

I've been searching all over but with no luck.
There is no solution without 8bitdo updating their firmware. They've been very good about that in the past, so if people ask them they might push out a new update. It can't be worked around since as far as the NES Mini is concerned, because of their current firmware, the NES30 is a two button controller.

nesito

Trophies
XP
Country
And again thank to D_Skywalk The Speccy come back to live on Mini NES Classic... Hakchi2 2.12 @ fuse core
But first a little "deadplay" on Rick Dangerous 2 on Amstrad CPC (WIP core)

Rgs.

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can't save state with Phantasy Star for Master System, and cannot save game either. Any clue? Naming of the game is just a plain P.

Best regards.

878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And again thank to D_Skywalk The Speccy come back to live on Mini NES Classic... Hakchi2 2.12 @ fuse core
But first a little "deadplay" on Rick Dangerous 2 on Amstrad CPC (WIP core)

Rgs.

I dunno, it's not quite the same if you don't have to put up with this for thirty minutes without the game working.

mm4.gif

You should also get somebody some friends to stand by you and make hideous screeching sounds in your ear every time that they breathe out. Beeeeep.......beeeenXmmHUpwKhubKJ.....beep.......beeeeep.......SbhBJHKJFbJhguyUIJLK!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi,
Reactions: satelman

dandeleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I could just rename the Zip to say Final Fantasy III instead of all the extra garbage some of the roms have as names. I would assume it would be the same with others and they'll have no issues loading up. Thanks!]

On second thought, the FFVI rom I have is just labeled as such so I think I got my little NESC at capacity is really what the problem is. :)
if it is at capacity do you think compressing the the rom would be a good idea?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.