Glass screen slightly loose on one corner?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by tarovisions, Mar 16, 2017.

Mar 16, 2017
  1. tarovisions
    OP

Member tarovisions GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Noticed that the adhesive around the glass screen gets kinda loose around the bottom right corner after extended (2 hours+) use. Anyone with similar issues?

It's not severe enough to impact usage but the glass is kinda raised over the housing in that corner. I suspect it's just a factory error (My switch also came with a faulty charger) and not common.

Edit: Not so much a complaint, just a curiosity I noticed.

Last edited by tarovisions, Mar 16, 2017

2. TheCyberQuake

Member TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

United States
    Firstly the screen isn't glass, and no I haven't seen or heard of that. Could you possible get a picture of the issue to better know what is going on?

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  3. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Addict

Sweden
    Hum this sounds like something you want to RMA as soon as possible. The plastic screen shouldn't get lose at all.

Memoir and TheCyberQuake like this.
  4. ov3rkill

Member ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    No need to compromise or settle down with it. It's definitely defective especially you mentioned the charger. That's 2 in 1 problem already. You need to return it ASAP from where you bought it.

5. tarovisions
    OP

United States
    Oh it's plastic? fooled me haha

There's not much in the way of pics to be provided, it's only raised slightly above the housing so it might be hard to see. I'll make an attempt though.

See, I got the charger resolved by buying another. I can't really return it because there's probably nothing available at the retailer and I would lose all my data (aka BOTW) since save transfer is not an option AFAIK. Nintendo usually takes a looooong time to RMA, so I'm willing to settle.

I'm not opposed to re-doing the adhesive myself at some point but only if things get worse later on. ;)

ov3rkill likes this.
  6. wiewiec

Newcomer wiewiec Advanced Member

Poland
    I'll wait of buying Switch only if someone made glass protector for it!

7. tarovisions
    OP

United States
    This is probably the best I can do for now, shows the very slight sag in the corner.

I should also mention that the other giveaway is that I can physically push it back into being level again.

Attached Files:

8. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

Norway
    There are several. I'll be ordering one in advance so I can apply it to the Switch the day I get it, just to secure it from dock scratches.
    It might not affect functionality, but that would bug me no end.
    I would wait a while until things settle down then RMA it or get it exchanged. Beat BotW before you do so that losing your save isn't such a big deal and when you want to replay BotW you'll just start over anyways.

TheCyberQuake and tarovisions like this.
  9. Justin20020

Member Justin20020 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Yeah I ordered an screen protector too. And a Case to transport the switch wherever I go

10. linuxares

Sweden
    Dude... RMA it. That is only going to get worse with time. Worst case scenario is the front falling off.

11. Sukorow

Newcomer Sukorow Member

United States
    A youtuber I'm pretty sure had the same problem. (Video: ) I personally don't have the problem. Like linuxares said above, if possible I would RMA it.

Last edited by Sukorow, Mar 16, 2017
  12. tarovisions
    OP

United States
    There are a few other reasons why RMA is not really available at this time but I'll spare the details.

I do appreciate the suggestions, it would be the best approach but it's probably not happening

Edit: Looks like it's double sided adhesive tape so depending on just how tricky the digitizer cable is, I should manage alright. Hopefully parts hit the market roughly around when it manages to actually bug me.

Last edited by tarovisions, Mar 16, 2017
  13. DarkDragonDX

Newcomer DarkDragonDX Member

Germany
    Have the same issue, after unboxing i only thought it wasnt really pushed in the shell, but after a while it pooped out again. Problem now is that my Zelda playtime is over 45 hours, so I dont want to loose it (don't have the motivation to start the game from scratch) :/

Attached Files:

14. Saiyan Lusitano

Member Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Addict

Portugal
    There are several, true, but they're more or less all the same which do as intended albeit advertised differently for which is edgier, cooler or stronger. I stupidly bought one of those overpriced screen protectors and on eBay they're really cheap (the very same tempered glass screen protectors).

15. TheCyberQuake

Member TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

United States
    I paid a bit extra to get mine with prime instead of waiting for one from China. Didn't want to risk scratches.

16. tarovisions
    OP

United States
    See I think if it was this severe, I'd probably send it in.

It seems to do just fine when in handheld mode, maybe it gets just a tad too hot in the dock?

17. linuxares

Sweden
    It gets superhot in the dock, I mean really, really hot.

I think they will move your emmc to a new unit or repair the screen (replace it) so your save should be fine if you RMA it. Then again, no guarantees.

tarovisions likes this.
  18. tarovisions
    OP

United States
    I noticed the nice little disclaimer that says something like "We aren't responsible for your save data", so I won't hold my breath. ;)

I will keep on eye on anyone else who RMAs in the near future and gives results.

19. linuxares

Sweden
    Best would be I they released a save tool.

tarovisions likes this.
  20. YourHero

Member YourHero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you mean tempered glass, we have that already and the added thickness effects it's ability to properly dock. People have scratched the protective glass already horribly in the switch or it was slightly too thick to fit.