Gateway3DS Hands On Impression

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to know, just wanted to make sure they didn't need to me to update past 3.0. I'm sure those games are dumped somewhere or will be soon enough. I'll download a bunch of them roms to see what I can collect. Thanks for the info.
Some of them require 4.5. But Gateway works on 4.5, so it's all good.

I've been wondering something. Right now my 3DS is version 3.0. Would I be able to update it to 4.5 putting a rom that has the firmware on the gateway? Or do I need a legitimate cartridge?
I've heard people say ROMs will update you, and I've heard people say they won't. I'm pretty sure they will, though.

Devin I got a question. I know it's one ROM per uSD card, but what would happen if you had two ROMs on the same card? How would Gateway pick which one to run? Have you tried that?

dragonjud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Nds-card is supposed to be reliable, but their ordering GUI is garbage. Went through the ordering process, and after entering my info and clicking 'next/continue', it confirmed that I was somewhere in Russia, and that I was ordering an Acekard...really?

tecra_a8

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I've been wondering something. Right now my 3DS is version 3.0. Would I be able to update it to 4.5 putting a rom that has the firmware on the gateway? Or do I need a legitimate cartridge?

No, because in order to use gateway, you must have 4.5 installed on your system, so it basically like this:
1.) Have system 4.5 on your 3DS
2.) set-up Gateway 3DS
3.) insert ROM to your SD card and play

xyzmanas

Trophies
XP
Country
No, because in order to use gateway, you must have 4.5 installed on your system, so it basically like this:
1.) Have system 4.5 on your 3DS
2.) set-up Gateway 3DS
3.) insert ROM to your SD card and play
Wasn't it said that Gateway works on 4.2 to 4.5 and a ROM can be used to update the 3ds ?? Somebody please clarify?

f0rCe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wasn't it said that Gateway works on 4.2 to 4.5 and a ROM can be used to update the 3ds ?? Somebody please clarify?
Unfortunately not. Original 3DS Cartridge Update only!

Gateway Team told yesterday in an e-mail.

4.2 works too, but you can't play the newer games like Luigis Mansion Dark Moon or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

4.2 works too, but you can't play the newer games like Luigis Mansion Dark Moon or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.

So updating a 3ds becomes something difficult or even impossible?
Say -just to make my point because it could never happen- they will make the GW 6.1 compatible (but not 6.2). I want to play Mario and Luigi which needs 5.1.
I can't go online for an update because that will put me on 6.2.
There is no game out yet which has 6.1 included.

So unless their 6.1 solution also works for 5.1 (borrow the original game then): How can I update my 3DS then?
Even if they create a 6.2 solution they have to be really quick because Nintendo will close the exploit in 6.3 (and you can bet that they are working on that right now!!)

Codc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Could somebody with a gateway3ds confirm this?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has the PCB pics been posted yet?

got_gateway_3ds_story.jpg

Picture posted on EurAsia.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should be. I would have been really disappointed if the flashcart turned out to be dead here. And I've owned a lot of disappointing flashcarts. Like, the EX4i or the CycloDS iEvolution.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should be. I would have been really disappointed if the flashcart turned out to be dead here. And I've owned a lot of disappointing flashcarts. Like, the EX4i or the CycloDS iEvolution.
It's a pretty big leap in such a short time, though. Yesterday, only games 4.5 or below from your system's region. Today, 5.1 game support and region free. My inner cynic is going wild, but I'm still excited.

Reactions: f0rCe

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a pretty big leap in such a short time, though. Yesterday, only games 4.5 or below from your system's region. Today, 5.1 game support and region free. My inner cynic is going wild, but I'm still excited.

I know, I was watching the video that one guy posted on his topic, and I was like, hah, what is this trolling. And then I looked at the video submitter, and I was like, well fuck, color me surprised. :)

Midnight Tboy

Trophies
XP
Country
an upcoming patch to make it support M&L Dream Team - sweet - that's me sold on it :) Will order in the morning (and have faith that it will be released)

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
I'm reading other sites and people are clueless about the possibilities of the cart. Retards on this forum have totally misled people. So help spread the facts - this cart DOES UTILIZE A FIRMWARE HACK. And it does it at KERNEL level. It's not 'dead on arrival', it's not limited to 1:1 reading of games, it's not going to be entirely useless in future - ALL of these things can be fixed in time with more work on the firmware hacking. It's just very complex but it will be done. Updates do not entirely stop future possibilities, this cart will become more and more useful in the future i assure you.

Also one fucking retard on neogaf said 'just wait for more experienced teams to do something with this'- the arrogance from people who don't know fuck all about hacking is unbelievable. This IS the most experienced people working on hacking consoles - who the fuck else are you waiting for? Supercard team or some other random Chinese groups who can only steal European/US hacker's methods?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4