Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gateway-3ds-newsupdate-jpg.3701
Many of you are aware of the GW3DS, the first 3DS mode flashcart. The release date was pushed back a bit, so suspicion of it not even existing came to arise. However, today I received my review sample in the mail disproving said suspicions.

Here are a few key excerpts from my experience so far with the GW3DS.
  • The GW3DS indeed plays 3DS roms. (I've yet to experience any hiccups, or glitches.)
  • The GW3DS plays already released scene releases. (Without patching.)
  • The GW3DS saves the 3DS game saves on the 3DS' SD card. (In the form of a .sav file.)
  • The GW3DS' saves are not interchangeable with those dumped from R4i Save Dongles.
  • Games from other regions do not show up at all in the menu.
  • In GW3DS mode, retail 3DS games do not work. You need to reboot the 3DS to play retail 3DS games.
So in conclusion. The GW3DS does in fact exist, works as advertised, and word is that they've been shipped to resellers all over the world. You can follow the GW3DS' progress on the GW3SDS' website, or in our very own forums.

Here are a few pictures of the GW3DS. (Boxing, plasic insert, as well as the front/back of the GW3DS red cartridge.)

3XtV3.jpg

3XtYr.jpg
There was a mix up in my review sample, and the blue GW3DS card was not included. Once I get it, I'll post pictures of it. My review will be done soon enough. Enjoy.

:arrow: The Gateway 3DS can be purchased from NDS-Card.com

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
AWESOME!

I'm curious.
Every time you change a game to play on the GW3ds, do you need to change the .sav on the 3DS's SD card, or will the game recognize it?

(eg, the saves are all saved as 00000001.sav, so you need to swap it on your computer whenever you play a different game)

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wait, if games from other regions do not show up at all...

How can you even program the region in the first place? Or does gateway only work with a particular region 3DS?

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How can you even program the region in the first place? Or does gateway only work with a particular region 3DS?

It has nothing to do with Gateway that determines the region. The 3DS itself and the information inside the ROM must be from the same region. (example. USA rom works in a USA 3DS, but a JAP ROM wont work inside the same 3DS.)

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It reads whatever rom is on the GW3DS red card. So if it's a Japanese region rom, it'll only work on a Japanese 3DS. (The GW3DS itself is region free in that sense, however the 3DS' aren't.)

Reactions: chris888222

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It reads whatever rom is on the GW3DS red card. So if it's a Japanese region rom, it'll only work on a Japanese 3DS. (The GW3DS itself is region free in that sense, however the 3DS' aren't.)
Oh yes, I totally forgot that GW only plays one game per MSD. My bad. Now I get it.

It has nothing to do with Gateway that determines the region. The 3DS itself and the information inside the ROM must be from the same region. (example. USA rom works in a USA 3DS, but a JAP ROM wont work inside the same 3DS.)
Yeah. Initially I thought the GW can run a couple of 3DS roms at once, so I was kinda confused on how the Gateway can actually select region preferences.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And so it came to pass that the 3DS was doomed to failure from piracy. People all over the internet became too lazy to purchase games and just loaded up their 3DS's with pirated games. Game developers ceased support for the console, and the 3DS died many years too young.

Rest in peace, 3DS, the world barely knew ye...
2011-2013

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It this means that every time you reboot or shut down your 3DS, you have to re-install the GW utilities from the blue DS card?

Oh no, no. That's not what I meant. I mean that if you want to play retail 3DS games and you're in GW3DS mode you need to reboot. Rebooting takes away the exploit. However when you want to go back into GW3DS mode you need to go into Settings->Other Settings->Profile->Nintendo DS Profile. The 3DS will reboot, and you'll be fine. No need to use the installer unless you go into DS mode. (Play a DS game, or flashcart.)

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And so it came to pass that the 3DS was doomed to failure from piracy. People all over the internet became too lazy to purchase games and just loaded up their 3DS's with pirated games. Game developers ceased support for the console, and the 3DS died many years too young.

Rest in peace, 3DS, the world barely knew ye...
2011-2013
Yea... I remember how that happened on the DS... oh wait, it went on to be a huge success. My bad.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea... I remember how that happened on the DS... oh wait, it went on to be a huge success. My bad.

Because this is TOTALLY 2006 and 7 years haven't passed and the world is EXACTLY the same as 2006. Why, the Wii is coming out. OH! The PS3 is too! Dude bro 360 awesome!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"