Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
They don't give dates because most people can't handle it when something unforeseeable happens and they have to delay the product. That is the exact reason, why most videogame developers don't give dates unless theye are 100% sure as well. Just to give you a recent example. Some of you may know it, some of you not - H1Z1. It is essentially a dayZ clone but a promissing one, since it comes from SOE (Planetside 2, Everquest) and it will be a fully fleshed out MMO (not 40 people one one server, but 1000s and it's persistent). John Smedly orignially said that it would take them 4-6 weeks (see: time frame) to get into Early Access. Once journalists layed their hands on it the team behind it rethought it and decided that they want to launch their Early Access with more than the "basic" pre alpha game - the state - that so many games launch in in Early Access. Once this was out and it was clear they pushed their date back, the people went totally mental and insane. Calling them all sorts (liars, fuckers - the whole program - even announcing potential acts of violence).
And H1Z1 is of course not the only example. There are all sorts of examples which pave the floor through out the history of videogame developement.

People always say they can handle stuff like this, but the truth is, most of them can't. It is better to leave the people in the dark unless the people behind the product are 100% certain, that they can make it til launch. So I understand fully, why the Gateway team says nothing (allthough it sucks ofc) and I wouldn't speculate much about that at least.

You've got a point there. Better to dreadfully use "soon" than give a time frame and not be able to respect it.

The wait kills though, it really does.

Reactions: MrJason005

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't give dates because most people can't handle it when something unforeseeable happens and they have to delay the product. That is the exact reason, why most videogame developers don't give dates unless theye are 100% sure as well. Just to give you a recent example. Some of you may know it, some of you not - H1Z1. It is essentially a dayZ clone but a promissing one, since it comes from SOE (Planetside 2, Everquest) and it will be a fully fleshed out MMO (not 40 people one one server, but 1000s and it's persistent). John Smedly orignially said that it would take them 4-6 weeks (see: time frame) to get into Early Access. Once journalists layed their hands on it the team behind it rethought it and decided that they want to launch their Early Access with more than the "basic" pre alpha game - the state - that so many games launch in in Early Access. Once this was out and it was clear they pushed their date back, the people went totally mental and insane. Calling them all sorts (liars, fuckers - the whole program - even announcing potential acts of violence).
And H1Z1 is of course not the only example. There are all sorts of examples which pave the floor through out the history of videogame developement.

People always say they can handle stuff like this, but the truth is, most of them can't. It is better to leave the people in the dark unless the people behind the product are 100% certain, that they can make it til launch. So I understand fully, why the Gateway team says nothing (allthough it sucks ofc) and I wouldn't speculate much about that at least.

Oh come now. You underestimate everyone. We can handle these things in a mature fashion.

That being said, why the heck don't we have a date yet!?!?!

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not an hacker, but i want to try to recap a bit:

As far as we know, to launch 3ds games we need at least 2 exploit:
The first one is to launch unsigned code on the 3ds, even if in limited mode (blue card on gateway) and the second exploit needed is a bug to try a privilage excalation to get ARM9 Kernel permission, this will able us to run all the stuff we want (red card).

Gateway used a flashcard in DS mode (not too difficult task) to exploit the DS-Profile Bug, this allow to run the Red Card.

As far as we know, Nintendo patched the DS-Profile bug, so that this way is closed.

So we are back to Step 2, we can run unsigned code on the console ONLY in Limited mode (ds mode) and we can't reach the kernel privilege.

Then Gateway said: "9.2 support! No additional Hardware!"
This, IMHO, tell us a lot.

They also said that old carda could be updated WITHOUT A 4.5 3DS.
This means really a lot.
At first i tought that Gateway had a little cpu inside and that, when it received power from the console, even if it's not compatible, it will start an "emergency auto flash" if the proper file is placed in the SD. BUT i couldn't find any evidence about the presence of a CPU inside the card, so we must tought that there isn't!

So, we have two options:
First one: We'll use the Blue Card to flash over the Gateway: on the DS Lite you could swap cartridge during certain homebrew, like pokemon save dumper, maybe they'll use this thing to flash code, but if i recall correctly it's not possible on the 3ds anymore
Second one: Gateway could "sneak" somehow trough the protection, at least the first layer, and autoupdate itself.

Anyway, when the card is update, doesn't matter the way, we have the same two problems: run code in Arm 11 and escalate to Arm 9. Or to emulate like Sky3Ds

I don't think they'll go trough the emulation road because Sky3DS is out and probably nintendo is looking a way to patch it and it's highly unlike that Gateway should be able to bypass these new cecks, so they willl have published it as fast as they can, to try to get a slice of the cake. Every day the update is not relased, is a day of lost sales, specially because we are near Christmas, with all the present money that is floating around.

I'm pretty sure they found another exploit, maybe the same smealum found, and now they are trying to adapt the code to it.
If anything wonders if they can reuse the same code, i'm not sure about that, but i know that the same homebrew compiled in .cia could report different bugs then the .3dsx version.

Reactions: Phantom_User

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah really just some idea of timescale, whether they're talking weeks or months. And surely by now they'd be able to confirm whether or not they'll be able to support emuNAND etc.

Reactions: Phantom_User
D

Deleted-355425

Yeah really just some idea of timescale, whether they're talking weeks or months. And surely by now they'd be able to confirm whether or not they'll be able to support emuNAND etc.

one thing to remember is that people want to buy a New 3ds for the gateway so if its going to be a release soon then they should import one now.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

maybe they don't want to reveal their hand to N, better to have them looking on all directions ta to narrow it down to just one for the, there is still the possibility that nintendo could review their code and find the hole even without the exploit being released and patch it before the release of new3ds in US , i think they are holding back cause of the n3ds release , if they were smart they would not release anything till then

Aman27deep

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
India
We actually WANT Nintendo to update. If gateway is waiting for nintendo update, we get the gateway update

Agreed. Next nintendo patch (9.3) will fix the smealum exploit. They can't patch Gateway's exploit, especially when they don't know what the exploit is - otherwise that specific exploit wouldn't exist in the first place.

Dankey Kang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Can i play U.S.A retail games on my European NEW 3DS with GW when the update releases, or only backups or pirated games are region free?

I asked them about that but they only said they can't confirm or deny that we will be able to bypass region-locks, so probably no.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Can i play U.S.A retail games on my European NEW 3DS with GW when the update releases, or only backups or pirated games are region free?
Nobody knows yet. If the new support is basically the same as Sky3DS, then no. If it is a genuine new exploit (unlikely) then possibly.

slowmotioning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they don't want the N3DS shipping with a firmware that blocks the exploit, but the console's already available in Australia. There's also no announced release date for American/European N3DS, so that would be a huge wait. There's also a huge availability of 9.2 3DSes right now, so releasing now and getting sales in quickly would override waiting for that new console to ship, in my opinion.

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they don't want the N3DS shipping with a firmware that blocks the exploit, but the console's already available in Australia. There's also no announced release date for American/European N3DS, so that would be a huge wait. There's also a huge availability of 9.2 3DSes right now, so releasing now and getting sales in quickly would override waiting for that new console to ship, in my opinion.

Yeah I wanted to import an AUS NEW 3DS but I didn't know if GW bypasses(or will) the region lock on physical games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/eFb28u5GPsU?si=35a7C58FgPbaxIMm