Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes but GW no say such a thing.

We all know online shop can say many things. I even remember some website saying they have stock for the fake k3ds.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yea, and maybe they're just eating popcorn while watching everyone squirm...

Maybe they're trying to get Justin Bieber to make a new song: "Maybe, maybe, maybe..."

D

Deleted-188346

If anybody read my post, they're waiting on Australian N3DS's to arrive so they can do some more internal testing.
This suggests that the update is complete, but they're wanting the release to be smooth, and are testing it using all currently available N3DS models.

The prediction by the admin (who is in communication with the GW team) is a late December release, but it may be earlier depending on the N3DS arrival and bugtesting results.

Reactions: Danjal

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
This admin person he just guessing late december release yes? GW didn't tell him that it will be a late december release?

D

Deleted-188346

This admin person he just guessing late december release yes? GW didn't tell him that it will be a late december release?
There's no certainty about the release date, it's entirely dependent on how smoothly the bugtesting goes in combination with how soon the N3DS's arrive.

Yes, it's a guess, but it's the most educated guess we have thus far.

Reactions: Danjal

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Problem with no emuNAND is the cart will have less value than as of right now.
Maybe they will release a newer revision with no blue cart to compensate?
BTW is it confirmed no kernel exploit but rather a reprogrammed FPGA that clones sky3DS?

slowmotioning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is confirmed about how their new 9.2 capable firmware will work. Only tidbit:

We will be able to upgrade preexisting Gateway cards to the 9.2 capable FW without access to 4.5FW 3DS. How this will be done has not been confirmed publicly yet.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
BTW is it confirmed no kernel exploit but rather a reprogrammed FPGA that clones sky3DS?
not confirmed by the Gateway team, but it's what seems likely to be. Plus there this official reseller offering the new model as single rom.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thats flawed logic...

Sure, the 9.x version would hypothetically have less functionality than the 4.x version - BUT we've already concluded that anyone that wants to can get a 4.x device.
And since there are a lot of people that can't or won't do this for a wide range of reasons, this new option is basicly an alternative.
An alternative for people that (for whatever reason) have excluded the option to get a 4.x device.

So, since 4.x features are beyond reach for these users, that leaves them with (as of 'right now' if you include Gateway 9.x) two options.
1 - They can get a SKY3DS and lock themselves to 10 games they can save with.
2 - They can go with Gateway which would not have a 10 game limit but would likely be single-ROM.
Please note that neither the future additions or changes to SKY3DS nor the feature-set for Gateway are set in stone.

TL;DR - No, this will not have "less value than we have right now", since its effectively for a different kind of user.
A type user that has excluded themselves from the 4.x option to begin with.

Now, the question; "Would they release a newer revision with no blue card to compensate?"
Thats just pure human greed talking. Oh if I can't use that anyway, can't you just remove it and gimme a discount?
While ofcourse theoretically possible, it would add a bunch of additional maintenance on their end which wouldn't necessarily make sense.
That said, I'm sure that a "clone" would hit the market without the blue card and for a compensated competative price point.

It'd shave off what? The equivalents of these blue cards are sold for $5? That means that their production costs are a fraction of that.

Reactions: Doran754

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lets say that theres no kernel exploit involved? How the F will we able to update the card to work with 9.x then?
I'm not sure what answer you are expecting...

But regardless of whether or not there is a kernel exploit - SKY3DS has gotten it to work without needing a second card to install stuff on the 3DS.
I can only assume that Gateway will use similar methods.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

But regardless of whether or not there is a kernel exploit - SKY3DS has gotten it to work without needing a second card to install stuff on the 3DS.

Well theres the problem, Sky3ds was made to work on all firmwares out of the box. GW needs an update to work on the latest firmware, but without kernel access theres no way to update the card. Im pretty sure Ive read here somewhere that a 4.x system is not needed to update the card to work on the latest firmware but im not 100% sure. Ive sent them an email asking this specifically.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Does sky3ds even have FPGA? They most likely left the factory preprogrammed with the goal of being usuable once, and buying new ones every now and then.
Though sky3ds will most likely take the money and run before that even happens.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well theres the problem, Sky3ds was made to work on all firmwares out of the box. GW needs an update to work on the latest firmware, but without kernel access theres no way to update the card. Im pretty sure Ive read here somewhere that a 4.x system is not needed to update the card to work on the latest firmware but im not 100% sure. Ive sent them an email asking this specifically.
I'm not saying they have the same thing - I'm saying they're using a similar method.
I.E. - no need to get onto the device, everything is done from the card.

So you'll get to install whatever it is you need onto the microSD apparently - like I said, I don't know the intricacies of how it works. I'm just saying it how I see it.
And for all I know I'm completely wrong and they are indeed (as you say) trying to figure out how the hell they'll be able to update the actual gateway chips. Who knows.
Does sky3ds even have FPGA? They most likely left the factory preprogrammed with the goal of being usuable once, and buying new ones every now and then.
Though sky3ds will most likely take the money and run before that even happens.
Thats basicly going "Gateway" can be adapted and is futureproofed.
SKY3DS is a single-entry solution and will become useless if its blocked.

Gateway can be updated, SKY can't. Its irrelevant whether or not SKY has FPGA, since SKY isn't talking about upgrading their card to new or different functionality.
Gateway is.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thats basicly going "Gateway" can be adapted and is futureproofed.
SKY3DS is a single-entry solution and will become useless if its blocked.

Gateway can be updated, SKY can't. Its irrelevant whether or not SKY has FPGA, since SKY isn't talking about upgrading their card to new or different functionality.
Gateway is.
Don't you need to update the whole card using FPGA to turn it from exploit based to emulating a retail game?

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They claim they have a way to do so... (Since they have 'confirmed' that you can update yourself.)

How? Who knows.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They claim they have a way to do so... (Since they have 'confirmed' that you can update yourself.)

How? Who knows.
Kernel exploit. Unless they lied about not needing new hardware or:
  • They consider sspwn as software.
  • They classify a 4.5 3ds as something you already have access to.
*EDIT*Found it!
They said it won't require a 3DS
They never said it won't require additional hardware.

TvjAQV0.png
It's at page 101.
Someone should gather all the emails and post them somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64