Status
Not open for further replies.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Could you kindly point me to the thread where they said that? ^_^
In the various email responses they have given. (Including the one I've gotten from them myself, so its not like they're all fabricated by troll-users)

Sure you can pull the "but they could be lying" - however with that assumption any and all discussion in this thread falls apart.
It could all be complete nonsense.
Kernel exploit. Unless they lied about not needing new hardware or:
  • They consider sspwn as software.
  • They classify a 4.5 3ds as something you already have access to.
They've specified (atleast in my own email response) that you don't need a 4.x device.

We only proceed by software update.

All Gateway carts on the market today will be compatible with our upcoming
9.0/9.1/9.2 compatibility update.
There will NOT be a new version of our cart. We care about our customers and
will support all the Gateway sold to date.

And you will be able to update your card yourself.
In response to the question:
Can you atleast confirm that if I were to order the card right now, I could update it myself to the right version once your update gets pushed out? Or would you recommend waiting untill after as things aren't 100% certain right now?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Gateway haven't said a single word aside from their post on their website and a couple of generic email replies, yet we're now at 117 pages! 117 pages of speculation!

Paraxamos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

The E-mail doesn't rule out additional hardware though (only a 4.5 is not needed). I am kind of curious if there will be maybe some kind of USB dongle or some other kind of hardware that you need to aquire if you want update the card (the statement "you can do it yourself" would be still true here)

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In the various email responses they have given. (Including the one I've gotten from them myself, so its not like they're all fabricated by troll-users)

Sure you can pull the "but they could be lying" - however with that assumption any and all discussion in this thread falls apart.
It could all be complete nonsense.

They've specified (atleast in my own email response) that you don't need a 4.x device.

In response to the question:
Can you atleast confirm that if I were to order the card right now, I could update it myself to the right version once your update gets pushed out? Or would you recommend waiting untill after as things aren't 100% certain right now?
Well you could do that but they never said you wont be needing a 4.x 3DS to do so.

Corey103

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you could do that but they never said you wont be needing a 4.x 3DS to do so.

We literally just said you don't on this very page above you.

TvjAQV0.png

Reactions: guitarheroknight

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
At this point, given what information Gateway themselves have made available aswell as the two stores that reportedly have gotten information from Gateway directly.

Its a safe bet that the 9.x support will start off with single-ROM only.
Though I would also say that it is too soon to determine that its single-ROM permanently.
They've broken that barrier before, and if possible they'll do so again.

Then we "know" (I.E. they've told us) that anyone with a 9.x device will be able to update themselves and that it will not need additional hardware.
Just the cards as they are sold right now. Which suggests that they somehow have found a way to update whatever programming they'd have on the FPGA using just the microSD.
Now how? I don't know, but there you have it.

Then we have the second distributor message, which makes a lot of sense.
They are importing EU-region N3DS' from Australia to test their stuff.
Which somewhat suggests that once ready, (assuming everything works) they'll push it out onto the market.
While we don't know when they ordered these devices and when that distributor got informed - it somewhat implies that we'll be seeing an early December/mid December update/release. Or alternately a Christmas release.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think they have a kernel exploit, and that it doesn't require the ds mode entry point, that is the only way i can see them being able to have us update our cards without additional hardware or being on older fw
probably put new launcher.dat and/or other files on the sd card and go into some setting or maybe themes menu or something then we get an exploit that runs a GW menu like we have now in ds profile , and we update the card from there

think about it, if it was going to make the GW act like a sky3ds, like a 1:1 clone card, then the FPGA would need to be reprogrammed ,like it was with the no going back multirom FPGA update , this would also probably make the card not be able to go back to using 4.5 ever again

there is no way they could have us update the FPGA without either a dongle, 4.5 access or additional hardware since the blue card does not work on 9.x ,

but even though the ds mode exploit entry point is closed in 9.x FW if they somehow got the blue card to work on 9.x in DS mode , they could probably have a DS mode program to reprogram the FPGA in the red card
so either they have a way to get blue card working on 9.x like a dstwo does and they wrote a program .nds that can reprogram the red cards FPGA in DS mode, or they have a new 3ds mode exploit, maybe it could be just a userland exploit where we can run an FPGA update program from 3ds usermode

those are really the only 3 options at this point ,and some may not be valid, i dont know how possible it would be to update the blue card for 9.x

Reactions: Danjal
D

Deleted-355425

takes under a week to get stuff ordered from AUS to the UK so faster to EU, we could be using it this time next weekend if it sails through all the tests.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Wattup' you guys! Phantom, the Linguistic know-it-all was absent for a few pages but now he's back (Just making a bit of an entrance, I'm sure nobody remembered me)

Here's my two cents, once again, on the current situation! (Warning, those allergic to speculation shouldn't read the following)

So we were hit by someone spilling the beans lately, here's a recap for those who didn't read my Puppy_Washer's post:
Garyopa said:
Normally I don't spill beans on 'what is happening' behind the scenes, but I can say this that recently the GW developers made arrangements to have 4 Aussie NEW 3DS shipped up to them to start the internal private testing, so I am leaning towards before the end of the year release, but don't hold me up to it.

I know soon once these units arrive and the internal tests are done, I am sure we will see one of their famous teaser videos posted on their front-page, with the red-painted ladies hands again.

Stay tuned!

Great news! Truth be told! Yet, it's somewhat saddening that we had to hear this from "3rd party" instead from Gateway themselves. But I'll explain why in a minute (SPECULATION) in why they haven't said so.

Here's something else Garyopa (Maxconsole's Administrator) said later on:
crashn (A registered user on Maxconsole) said:
aussie new 3ds firmware will be updated by then. :(
Garyopa said:
Nope the Aussies been selling the NEW 3DS for a couple of weeks now, and it is same firmware as shipping on the JAP units, plus it is EUR region, so a great test platform for EUR ROMs.

The big problem will be USA ones released in 2015, most likely they will be shipping on a new firmware 9.3 or higher.

And I have no clue yet if GW 9.2 update will allow for region-free rom playing, which the Sky3DS/R5 does not, hopefully they will make that more clear in their next news update soon.

So here's what we can confirm (again, based on speculation, boohoo!):
  • GW Recently ordered 4 Aussie N3DS's. But just how recent is 'recently'?
  • GW will start internal private testing. This means their development of the update is complete. YAY
His other response, however, evokes a few questions:
  • If GW states that even N3DS's are supported.. That means they've already had acess to a JAP one. So.. What's the big difference from JAP to EUR?
  • 'A great platform to test EUR Roms' - Why do they need Aussie 3DS's to test EUR Roms? Are roms of different regions THAT different that deserve a special look at?
Let's look again at point number two.
'A great platform to test EUR ROMs' - Doesn't this kinda' mean GW has tested other region ROMs on their JAP N3DS's? What happened with that?

I'll edit in a few mins. with more info. DISCUSS!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wattup' you guys! Phantom, the Linguistic know-it-all was absent for a few pages but now he's back (Just making a bit of an entrance, I'm sure nobody remembered me)

Here's my two cents, once again, on the current situation! (Warning, those allergic to speculation shouldn't read the following)

So we were hit by someone spilling the beans lately, here's a recap for those who didn't read my Puppy_Washer's post:

Great news! Truth be told! Yet, it's somewhat saddening that we had to hear this from "3rd party" instead from Gateway themselves. But I'll explain why in a minute (SPECULATION) in why they haven't said so.

Here's something else Garyopa (Maxconsole's Administrator) said later on:

So here's what we can confirm (again, based on speculation, boohoo!):
  • GW Recently ordered 4 Aussie N3DS's. But just how recent is 'recently'?
  • GW will start internal private testing. This means their development of the update is complete. YAY
His other response, however, evokes a few questions:
  • If GW states that even N3DS's are supported.. That means they've already had acess to a JAP one. So.. What's the big difference from JAP to EUR?
  • 'A great platform to test EUR Roms' - Why do they need Aussie 3DS's to test EUR Roms? Are roms of different regions THAT different that deserve a special look at?
Let's look again at point number two.
'A great platform to test EUR ROMs' - Doesn't this kinda' mean GW has tested other region ROMs on their JAP N3DS's? What happened with that?

I'll edit in a few mins. with more info. DISCUSS!
Probably nothing we need to read in to too much, I bet they just have some connections in Australia that allowed them to get N3DS consoles considerably cheaper than if they had ordered elsewhere.

Reactions: Phantom_User

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While I have no reasonable explanation for why they ordered FOUR Australian N3DS devices.
I think the testing and verification is merely a matter of being thorough.

Is there that big of a difference between EUR and JAP devices/ROM's? Not necessarily.

However, as you say, it sounds like they've already used a Japanese N3DS to test their thing, since they previously mentioned N3DS support.
Now, considering the "A great platform to test EUR ROMs" - it raises the question, did the JAP device not support EUR/US ROMs?
Or are they really just being thorough?

Reactions: Phantom_User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Hi how is everyone doing?