GameStop.com was hacked and credit card info was stolen

gamestop_logo.jpg

GameStop is currently investigating reports of data breaching, which includes credit card data and personal customer data after being informed by a security firm. These breaches were caused by hackers that maliciously install software that sends the CVV2 data before its encrypted and processed.

If you made any purchases on GameStop.com between September 2016 and February 2017 there is a chance your information is compromised. Check your banking statements from September to now and look for any odd charges that may have occurred. For good measure I would cancel and get it replaced if possible too.

:arrow: Source 1

:arrow: Source 2

Last edited by Chary,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Reread what i wrote. I know happened. It doesn't matter. Cause they still could of stolen them easily through other means.
Uh, what? No, they couldn't have. There's only one way to do this, because regardless of the store, credit card information isn't stored locally or remotely due to the design of POS systems.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, what? No, they couldn't have. There's only one way to do this, because regardless of the store, credit card information isn't stored locally or remotely due to the design of POS systems.

That's not true. Or wasn't. target was storing the information to make returns easier in the event instore systems went down

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cards are insured, sure
So you validate everything I said but then proceed to try to insult me because I called your bullshit?

I see you really have your finger on the pulse of this topic.
Thank you, more so than you. I would rather show people there are safeguards instead of spreading false information, paranoia and mass hysteria. What are you, the media?

I'm a private contractor for malware firms and corporations that performs auditing for occasions just like this.
Basing your entire argument on authority instead of fact just shows what type of person you are.

One of my cards was skimmed, they made of with a whole $3.10 before it was locked down. I am also a security contractor if you want to measure dicks, I've been doing it for 15+ years. I am speaking from experience with facts, not just blowing smoke out my ass like you.

I'm just well versed on the subject because it's my job.
You aren't very good at your job then. Basically you are telling people that if they don't want a virus, stay off the internet and do shit the old way, like everyone needs the security of a CA. Ya, good advice buddy.

Also, boohoo "inconvenience".
Majority of innovation in this world is based on convenience. Can't you come up with better insults than that? Since you can't come up with any valid reasons to support using cash only. I would have expected better from you, a man of your education. Then again that was probably just bullshit too.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
That's not true. Or wasn't. target was storing the information to make returns easier in the event instore systems went down
Again, no.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/inside-target-corp-days-after-2013-breach/

Target hired a third party HVAC company out of Pennsylvania that was also compromised and this was the entrypoint for the attackers. There's absolutely nothing mentioned about credit card information being stored in plain text. The other problem is that they used weak and default passwords for their backend servers, which allowed the spread of more malware. Seriously, do your research before relying on the information of your cashier cousin.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't even care enough to validate you because you're a walking strawman. Your cherry picking kinda proves this. Seriously, that entire argument is set up to be defeated. Lrn2debate.

Last edited by Joom,

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ahh GBATemp, maybe we should build a wall and deport all the plebs that are just here to increase their post count.

#makegbatempgreatagain

17862841_1475809362461439_7996337849798396157_n.jpg

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ahh GBATemp, maybe we should build a wall and deport all the plebs that are just here to increase their post count.

#makegbatempgreatagain

17862841_1475809362461439_7996337849798396157_n.jpg

Unpopular opinion:
Discussioners in order of terribleness:
  • The one winning the argument
  • The one losing the argument
  • The one complaining about the argument
  • The one complaining about the complaining about the argument
Yes, I'm aware that makes me the worst in this thread. Deal with it. B-)

Reactions: Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unpopular opinion:
Discussioners in order of terribleness:
  • The one winning the argument
  • The one losing the argument
  • The one complaining about the argument
  • The one complaining about the complaining about the argument
Yes, I'm aware that makes me the worst in this thread. Deal with it. B-)
I'd hate to be "that guy" in the flippity floppity floop but I don't think "discussioners" is even a word...

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Yinxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamestop_logo.jpg

GameStop is currently investigating reports of data breaching, which includes credit card data and personal customer data after being informed by a security firm. These breaches were caused by hackers that maliciously install software that sends the CVV2 data before its encrypted and processed.

If you made any purchases on GameStop.com between September 2016 and February 2017 there is a chance your information is compromised. Check your banking statements from September to now and look for any odd charges that may have occurred. For good measure I would cancel and get it replaced if possible too.

:arrow: Source 1

:arrow: Source 2
Damn. I'll cancel my order asap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...