GameStop.com was hacked and credit card info was stolen

gamestop_logo.jpg

GameStop is currently investigating reports of data breaching, which includes credit card data and personal customer data after being informed by a security firm. These breaches were caused by hackers that maliciously install software that sends the CVV2 data before its encrypted and processed.

If you made any purchases on GameStop.com between September 2016 and February 2017 there is a chance your information is compromised. Check your banking statements from September to now and look for any odd charges that may have occurred. For good measure I would cancel and get it replaced if possible too.

:arrow: Source 1

:arrow: Source 2

Last edited by Chary,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why it's not making the front page of the site. This is pretty concerning and more people should know about this.
Use an image, uploaded, not hot linked, in the center, hit enter for space, add a summary of what's newsworthy, and the source (try to be direct, like a company statement, not from another site like IGN), check the formatting how a news post works. I saw this news yesterday when it was rumored, but for goodness sakes, I need breaks too, I'm busy right now, and hawkishly watching news every day gets tiring. I'll promote it if someone makes a competent thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We don't have room on the front page for both a hack of a major game distributor revealing credit card info, and Trails of Cold Steel games on PC.
Make the post yourself then, if you have such an attitude about it. You clearly are still bothered by the news on this site, despite not even understanding the process here. Your salt-show isn't even amusing.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It dawned on me that this may have been the reason my bank issued a new debit card to me, the generic message was "possible compromise," to paraphrase. I didn't notice any shady transactions on my bank account, so I'm not sure if this actually affected me. I only made one Gamestop.com purchase, ever, but it falls under that time period. The card I used then has since been closed, so I'm safe, but wow.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use an image, uploaded, not hot linked, in the center, hit enter for space, add a summary of what's newsworthy, and the source (try to be direct, like a company statement, not from another site like IGN), check the formatting how a news post works. I saw this news yesterday when it was rumored, but for goodness sakes, I need breaks too, I'm busy right now, and hawkishly watching news every day gets tiring. I'll promote it if someone makes a competent thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Make the post yourself then, if you have such an attitude about it. You clearly are still bothered by the news on this site, despite not even understanding the process here. Your salt-show isn't even amusing.
I never understood how it worked till now how news is handled. I'll try to fix it up as best as I can but I'm only doing this just because I feel more should be informed before this gets out of hand. Its already affected a close friend of mine whom is in the process now of getting the card replaced.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of wish stores stopped storing credit cards. They should be deleted after the pay period is over.
That wasn't their doing. Hackers installed software which sent over the data before it was encrypted and processed for purchasing. I'm wondering why this wasn't discovered sooner if this has been going since September.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That wasn't their doing. Hackers installed software which sent over the data before it was encrypted and processed for purchasing. I'm wondering why this wasn't discovered sooner if this has been going since September.
Ah sorry, so it was a malware attack. How the heck could it get so deep?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why i hate online purchases, i only ever buy from the local store, never online. Only time i buy online is if i can't reach local. Still i never store my credit card info. Not on psn, not on eshop, not on steam, not on anything!

Don't ever store your card info, even if you want easy transactions, just don't please! :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr