ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, small update time.

I'm actually sitting down this weekend and doing what I can to align all the text in the adventure games. Even with a nifty algorithm I made up it is still a slow process and it all has to be checked in-game since there are cases where I bump lines of text a few pixel right and that may cause a line overrun somewhere.

Along the way I found a few spelling errors and some spacing issues with the comma since the original added spaces automatically after the comma for some reason and suddenly "fixing that" messed up some lines.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Edit> RadioShadow> The names of all the enemies in Demon Returns are (based on the source "ride" image file):

Takoppi <- Pun on Tako (Octopus)
Kinopyon <- Reference to a frog. More specifically, "Pyon!" which is an onomatopoeia for "Jump"
Kaniccho <- Play on "Kani", a crab
Togemaki <- Toge means Thorn and Maki means to wrap up. Wrapped up thorn? Well, that kind of explains the spike.
Gasagasa <- I forget which enemy this is. Gasagasa is the sound of something rough rubbing against something else I believe, like sandpaper
Skull Fighter <- Skull Fighter...yay
Skull Knight <- Skull Knight...yay again
Hi-Takoppi <- Is this the Octopus with long legs? Something else? In any case it is still a reference to Octopus

And in Super Demon Returns, there are (left out descriptions for those same as above):

Deinotti <- Dinosaur you ride with a spiked shell back.

Next, when I have a chance, I'll go through and explain these.

Yay for the 1000th post :D
About Kinopyon:
- Kinopi is JP for "Mushroom"
- Kinopiko in the JP versions of the SMB series is the character known elsewhere as "Toad"
- Pyon is an omonatopoeia for a frog (or toad, as in the amphibian animal and not the Super Mario Bros character) jumping
"Toad" or any slight alteration would be the PERFECT localization for this name. I can't help but think they did it on purpose

Kaniccho: Craboss?
Takoppi: Octopi? (even though I'm certain I'm missing part of the pun)
Togemaki: Thornbag?
Gasagasa: Ruffuruffuru? (ruffle, maybe sthg like hustle could work?)

Reactions: Aaron Chmielowiec

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Did I really have the 1000th post? Heh.

Oh right, I didn't write out Kinoko as mushroom. That probably would have helped...

I'll think about that unless AnotherGamer wants to be the one to give some more ideas.

As for the next patch, I fixes up the ellipses in the magazines and manuals, and have been touching up the daily challenge text as well. The messages it gives are sometimes erroneous or out in space. I fixed a few of them but I think I may have to generalize some of them. I get the feeling it thinks any time before 9am is so early you should go back to bed. That and Arino talks to you like you never cleared the challenge when you in fact did.

That and the adventure game text alignment. Must finish...the game... I have some high profile requests to fix that at least so I really want to finish it.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming the ppi and iccho are just cutesy endings, they could become something like Octopy (Octopi could lead to confusion with a possible plural form of octopus), and Crabbi, Crabsy, or Crabble. Hi-Takoppi, assuming it's just a bigger octopus enemy (I haven't played the game yet), could be something like Mega or Super Octopy.

My first thought for Togemaki was Wrapthorn, but maybe I was thinking to much of Rhapthorne from Dragon Quest. Other names might be Spinespire or Coilspike, or other combinations of those words or their synonyms. It's not much different than Thornbag, but I think coil and spire fit the picture given of what looks like one of these shells over bag.

Your description of Deinotti sounds like Yoshi, so a name referencing that might work, but again, since I haven't played the game yet, I don't know if it looks like him as well.

I don't have much to say on the other suggestions.

Reactions: GHANMI

HumbertHumbert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I played through more and found more mostly minor things. I had been playing on the 1.10 patch, and just switched over to the 1.20 patch, so if some of these were fixed, sorry for the repeats.

Also, if these type of nitpicky corrections are starting to come too late and you'd like to be done with it, I don't want to assume you are going to just enter corrections forever - I'm just providing them in case you are still in "fix" mode. Obviously the translation is excellent. I just haven't had much free time to play, so even though I'm taking a pic of everything I see, my playthrough comes in bits and pieces.
---------------
Extra space to delete before "Light," extra spacing dot needed after "Looking Down".
yIvcz0H.jpg

The text is continued as the same sentence in the next box, so the second dialog box should start with a lowercase letter ("On" and "Able" in the two sets below). Also, I think ellipses is the standard format otherwise so should be added after "has been" in the second set.
6DvSJNp.jpg
gPEy2h1.jpg

RWKp6qf.jpg
E0sLPjm.jpg

Gold cube: "Can sell as is at equal value"; Silver cube: Period after "cube," (although, I'm guessing there's no way to fit it, which is why it isn't there) and "Can sell as is at equal value".
YucH2LZ.jpg
09E4r8S.jpg

Extra space before "Save".
lqRlWKK.jpg

Error only in first image - "8F" uses a different font than the second image - the second image font appears to be the correct one, used consistently otherwise.
Sxm89UZ.jpg
QKkggNT.jpg

Thanks for the hard work!

Kobalos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, 1.2 is out already? I should check the site more often, I thought it was still being finalized. I've been checking it out for a bit: It looks great!

Gasagasa <- I forget which enemy this is. Gasagasa is the sound of something rough rubbing against something else I believe, like sandpaper
-snip-
Hi-Takoppi <- Is this the Octopus with long legs? Something else? In any case it is still a reference to Octopus

Gasagasa is the spider-looking enemy. It's the only one with an unique sound when you ride it; a skritch-skratch sound rather than the default metallic squeak.
Hi-Takoppi is a faster version of the regular Takoppi. I don't know if it's taller or not, couldn't compare.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Kobalos> SURPRISE!

And I also listed you in the special thanks section to boot!

This weekend I realigned the adventure text with a dirty, kludgy tool I made to assist me with character widths to try and determine the right amount of white space on the 2nd and 3rd lines. It kind of worked and is much better than what it was but it still doesn't look quite 100% pixel perfect. There were so many changes to the game overall though that I did want to get this out.

I'm hoping at this point there aren't any large bugs or game crashing errors anywhere so if anything I can just calmly touch up the text once in a while.

Hubert> Thanks for the report. I think I may have touched up some of those already but I'll check. With that 8F thing in the magazine it is just that, a double byte character string. I was going for emphasis but it isn't a problem to change it if need be. The RPG changed a lot, though (see: Kobalos) so I need to check if those are still there or not.

FailName/Kobalos> Thanks for the feedback. I looked a bit into just what has to be changed to make changes to the name and its possible but I need to rework an enemy list "graphic" for the first one and a whole mess of tiles for Super Demon Returns in addition to the magazines, manuals and possible chats/phone/conversations. One thing to consider is the length. The graphic is as wide as the longest enemy name + " ride" so any alternate name suggestions will have to be that length or smaller to fit it in unless you want to make a smaller font.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, this is unrelated to the above but hey, mockup DS case sleeves for justice! Mars_x and his mesmerizing skill have produced some nifty covers you can try yourself.

The actual images should be printed slightly less than full page, even taking automatic resizing due to the unprintable areas on some printers. I figure 5% smaller seems about right.

EDIT> Exact dimensions should be:
  • Front and Back length x height: 1535px(5.117″) x 1370px(4.567″).
  • Spine (middle area) length x height: 190px(0.633″) x 1370px(4.567″).
Which means the total printable area is 10.867" x 4.567" (276.0218mm x 116.0018mm)

There are two versions available, but I'll show you one of the photos of a printed-slightly-larger-than-what-it-should-be cover.

rgc2box1.jpg

rgc2box2.jpg

vqpUMkn.png

Download 'Localized' Version

xgp7FoR.png

Download Clean Version

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
FailName/Kobalos> Thanks for the feedback. I looked a bit into just what has to be changed to make changes to the name and its possible but I need to rework an enemy list "graphic" for the first one and a whole mess of tiles for Super Demon Returns in addition to the magazines, manuals and possible chats/phone/conversations. One thing to consider is the length. The graphic is as wide as the longest enemy name + " ride" so any alternate name suggestions will have to be that length or smaller to fit it in unless you want to make a smaller font.

From memory, the longest one would be: SKULL FIGHTER RIDE !

So 20 letters, basically. If you remove the space after RIDE to make RIDE!, then each enemy can have no more than 14 letters.

For "Takoppi" / "Hi-Takoppi", I did think of "Octocruel"/ "Sir Octocruel". Like what they did with the Pokémon "Tentacruel".

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is unrelated to the above but hey, mockup DS case sleeves for justice! Mars_x and his mesmerizing skill have produced some nifty covers you can try yourself.

The actual images should be printed slightly less than full page, even taking automatic resizing due to the unprintable areas on some printers. I figure 5% smaller seems about right.

EDIT> Exact dimensions should be:
  • Front and Back length x height: 1535px(5.117″) x 1370px(4.567″).
  • Spine (middle area) length x height: 190px(0.633″) x 1370px(4.567″).
Which means the total printable area is 10.867" x 4.567" (276.0218mm x 116.0018mm)

There are two versions available, but I'll show you one of the photos of a printed-slightly-larger-than-what-it-should-be cover

vqpUMkn.png

Would you mind if I used that cover and art for my Lets Play of the game on my YouTube channel? I'll pop credits in description, it's awesome :D

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Well, Mars_x is the one that made it. He did say it was okay to share this around (I mean, if not, why would it be made in the first place) and it is in the open now anyway. I have no problem with it but it isn't my artwork, so maybe just check with Mars_x first?

Rothiseph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The images are free for anyone to use as they'd like.
Now we only need reproduction carts to have our own 'real' physical copy of RGC2!
Dude, awesome effort on the artwork! Just away to buy a spare DS case in anticipation of this. :)

On a related note, is anyone taking on the task of translating the manual? And is it possible to mount a cart with the image eventually, once the patching has been given a final all clear? More for realism than anything else to be honest, as I've got a nice little shelf of my DS games and it'd be immense to have a proper boxed copy of RGC2 on there. ;)

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A card sticker is on the way and after that the manual.
I'm waiting for Aaron to upload scanned images of it and
a translation so I can start working.

Rothiseph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Major props! So stoked about the continued top effort for the whole project, really valiant effort all-round. A++++ for consistent excellence!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Ah right, the manual...

Okay, I'll see if I can get that done later tonight (at the earliest). I do have a bunch of little changes from Kobalos to the RPG (as usual, but he knows that game inside and out, and I mean *everything*) and there is the last bits of Blood of Bahamut I need to get around to finishing/fixing, and TV Game Exam (of which there isn't *that* much text to do)...

As for everyone else, I made a batch of changes yesterday, mostly to the RPG and another just came today that I will have to do. Mostly minor things and naming conventions, etc. but there is one potential crash in the RPG in patch 1.2 (it is at the end of the game, if you "Use" the Space Clothes) That has been fixed already but I want to meld the other changes in here as well.

DMNBT

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I got a question about the patch: what should be the filesize and the md5 of the patched rom? I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong, but I want to confirm first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :D:)