Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, let me just start out by saying that I own a G6DS Real (I got it for review, see my sig
tpi.gif
). Therefor, my say in this means more than someone who is making big, stupid assumptions.

All roms work.
Download play support is over 50%, I'd say 60-70%.
The DLDI patch is coming, and you must keep in mind that the cart is not released yet. The N-Card, on the other hand, has been out for ages so the fact that it has DLDI is not all that fabulous. In fact, it only recently got a complete read/write DLDI patch, so, yeah....
The write speed is as fast as writing to a MicroSD card.
The GUI is pretty, fast, and easy to use.
Because of the use of fast Nand flash memory, it is essentially guaranteed that the compatibility is future proof.
The G6 Team is known for staying with their products, and will stick with this and continue updating whatever needs updating.

There, I am done. You could contest me on any of my points, but your underinformed assumptions would probably not last for long...

monkeey2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
".. Buying a product because it has a well known logo on it is stupid in my eyes... "

brands r important to a degree.. if u disagree then i have a nice shiny ninjapass X9 for sale ;P

ProjectVirtue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
next day = official launch day xDDD

i guess in the meantime, just compile all your testing things and get the v2 system update
biggrin.gif
then prepare some sorta laser to sound an alarm when the mailbox is opened lol

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, let me just start out by saying that I own a G6DS Real (I got it for review, see my sig
tpi.gif
). Therefor, my say in this means more than someone who is making big, stupid assumptions.

All roms work.
The DLDI patch is coming, and you must keep in mind that the cart is not released yet. The N-Card, on the other hand, has been out for ages so the fact that it has DLDI is not all that fabulous. In fact, it only recently got a complete read/write DLDI patch, so, yeah....
Because of the use of fast Nand flash memory, it is essentially guaranteed that the compatibility is future proof.
The G6 Team is known for staying with their products, and will stick with this and continue updating whatever needs updating.

There, I am done. You could contest me on any of my points, but your underinformed assumptions would probably not last for long...
I'll give it a shot anyway because it sounds a little biased to me
wink.gif
keep in mind I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying your points are mostly nothing special:

All roms work.

- That's the least you could expect from a new flashcart now. Pretty much all carts have 100% compatibility. Sometimes later on a game pops up that doesn't work and it gets fixed a while after. Did any of the recent flashcarts launch without !00% compatibility?

- That sounds biased because you conveniently leave out that it's exactly the same as R4's compatibility (and some other less popular carts as well). I can't speak for n-card since I hear conflicting reports. Someone should verify whether download play works or not on those carts and to which extent.

- DLDI better come out fast though. No point in buying the cart without DLDI support. If it takes 3 months after release before DLDI support gets there that would suck. You should be telling people to hold off on buying it until it has DLDI support, which might actually motivate the developer to do something about it.

- This is something pretty much every cart has except the N-card clones. If you like fast writing speeds (like I do, heck I find waiting for writing to microSD takes too long
tongue.gif
) it's a reason not to buy an N-card clone, but still doesn't say anything about buying a G6 real or not.

- But isn't it true that you have to wait for approx. 5 seconds when you boot it up since it's backing up the savegame? The r4 does this real time, so you don't have to wait when you boot up the cart.

- Really? Seems to me that the compatibility of any flashcart as long as it gets updated when something is wrong is future proof. And what good did it do for download play compatibility?

- Though this is an assumption, I am also assuming this will be the case. Though in the unlikely event that the cart might not be popular, this may not be the case. Wouldn't you agree it's a little better to buy something that already has proven it will provide updates?

Overall, I'm not saying G6 real is bad, just that it isn't better than let's say R4. In it's current form with similar download play support, a higher price, and DLDI support that you may have to wait for I tend to lean towards R4. Perhaps someone could give me a reason as to why G6 real would be better? (don't say flash memory..since that's a matter of personal opinion)

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol Mewgia looks like you got some critics.Â
smile.gif

But just to defend you for some part, he isn't biased when he talks aobut download play. It is not the same as R4, the R4 has lower download play support. Does it support Mario Kart? No, but the G6DS Real does.

The R4 is actually kind of slow when it comes to booting compared to some of my other carts. I mean, I'm not sure about the G6DS Real, it should get here soon I hope, but for carts like the DS Link, it takes no where near 5 seconds to write a save, more like a second, tops. The R4 loads games slowly compared to the DS Link (my new favorite flash cart). Sometimes I suspect that it just write the save when you boot the next game, saying it is loading the game just so that it can say it is real time saving. But I have no proof of that. Just something I'm thinking.Â
smile.gif

Hmm, so download play is a little better? I heard download play compatibility was largely the same though. Is Mario Kart the only exception?

As for backing up saves..I heard it was 5 seconds somewhere on these forums (my g6 lite with similar menu does the same thing...it's annoying). Since Mewgia has a G6 real maybe he can confirm this? Also, I think R4 only loads games slowly the first time when it creates a save file and does the on-the-fly patching and stuff.

Haruspex

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
- DLDI better come out fast though. No point in buying the cart without DLDI support. If it takes 3 months after release before DLDI support gets there that would suck. You should be telling people to hold off on buying it until it has DLDI support, which might actually motivate the developer to do something about it.

In G6 Homepage they say that the DLDI Auto-Patcher will be released at June 07.

Also they seem to changed the state "Perfect Download Play Compatibility" to this:

QUOTE-The highest download play compatibility. (Mario Kart, New super Mario
etc...)

At least now they are honest
laugh.gif

But i think they going to improve the download play in future updates anyway.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't agree with many of the above statements. The G6DS Real takes almost the same amount of time to boot as all other slot 1 devices. On boot there is aprox a 2-3 second wait and then another 1-2 seconds to write the save. The G6DS Real also has the option to boot directly to the last game played which is a great feature that more slot 1 devices should support. I do agree that the device should support direct to memory saves but we can’t have everything.

There is a current FATLib released for the G6/M3 DS Real devices which should help in incorporating more homebrew support from devlopers. The write speed is 7X better then other NAND memory solutions (N-Cards), but no where near a microSD cards performance as the device maxes out at aprox 3.6MB/sec, while a microSD can do as much as 22MB/sec +. You can read my full detailed review which answerers all of these questions and more at the link in my sig. I have also maintained a full list of working and non-working DS Download play games.

I think the G6DS Real has some great potential, too bad my review sample was defective as it was way too thick (you'll read in review). The price is great for a G6 product and with the upcoming M3/G6 Multimedia Extensions (see link in sig) and a 2GB model coming soon there is something for everyone.

FifthE1ement
grog.gif

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aight..sounding a little better if it at least has highest download play compatibility and they have specified a date for DLDI. New Super Mario Bros is a great game in 2-player VS mode so that's cool
smile.gif

Fifth, you sure it's only 1-2 sec? G6lite takes 5 seconds..I just tested.

About the Multimedia Extensions...it sounds promising but I'm afraid it's gonna be a limped moonshell version like their previous media extension. The enhanced video playback sounds interesting though
smile.gif

Edit: I'm not gonna check out your website review since I hate being forced to register to access the content.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Soooooooooooooo. Is there any news of the 2gb version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????

(long words for emphasis)

EDIT: 0_0

check it out! "- Special Game features can be enabled during game playing: (shuch as.SlowMotion mode…)"

since when did g6 have slomotion mode?!!!?

Cyclo had announced that...........

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just received an email from the G6 team in which they mention all of the new features and they sent me the update cheat files. You can get the download and view the info here.

And yeah its about 5 seconds total with the final saving but only 1-2 seconds into the OS.

BTW, your lose not mine.

FifthE1ement
grog.gif

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Soooooooooooooo. Is there any news of the 2gb version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????

(long words for emphasis)

EDIT: 0_0

check it out! "- Special Game features can be enabled during game playing: (shuch as.SlowMotion mode…)"

since when did g6 have slomotion mode?!!!?

Cyclo had announced that...........

Hmm...shared resources? Also, please when you quote something provide a link
wink2.gif

Edit: Never mind, fifth seems to have me covered. Thanks
smile.gif

trogoldito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fifth, could you please elaborate on the G6DS boot directly to the last game played feature? Do you hold a button while booting the DS or something? If so this feature alone could be reason enough for me to get a G6DS over a R4. Even though I dislike the idea of the G6DS backing up saves upon bootup.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tpi.gif

All roms work.

I'll give it a shot anyway because it sounds a little biased to me
wink.gif
keep in mind I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying your points are mostly nothing special:

All roms work.

- That's the least you could expect from a new flashcart now. Pretty much all carts have 100% compatibility. Sometimes later on a game pops up that doesn't work and it gets fixed a while after. Did any of the recent flashcarts launch without !00% compatibility?

- That sounds biased because you conveniently leave out that it's exactly the same as R4's compatibility (and some other less popular carts as well). I can't speak for n-card since I hear conflicting reports. Someone should verify whether download play works or not on those carts and to which extent.

- This is something pretty much every cart has except the N-card clones. If you like fast writing speeds (like I do, heck I find waiting for writing to microSD takes too long
tongue.gif
) it's a reason not to buy an N-card clone, but still doesn't say anything about buying a G6 real or not.

- But isn't it true that you have to wait for approx. 5 seconds when you boot it up since it's backing up the savegame? The r4 does this real time, so you don't have to wait when you boot up the cart.

- Really? Seems to me that the compatibility of any flashcart as long as it gets updated when something is wrong is future proof. And what good did it do for download play compatibility?

- Though this is an assumption, I am also assuming this will be the case. Though in the unlikely event that the cart might not be popular, this may not be the case. Wouldn't you agree it's a little better to buy something that already has proven it will provide updates?

Overall, I'm not saying G6 real is bad, just that it isn't better than let's say R4. In it's current form with similar download play support, a higher price, and DLDI support that you may have to wait for I tend to lean towards R4. Perhaps someone could give me a reason as to why G6 real would be better? (don't say flash memory..since that's a matter of personal opinion)

"All roms work"
I said that because earlier some people were saying "oh I bet the game that came out today doesn't work on the G6 because it uses the same method as the M3S" which is bull. It uses a different method, it's not a clone of the M3S/R4.

The Download play issue.
Uhm, as others pointed out the R4 does not have to 60-70% compat.

DLDI: The team says that they will have an autopatcher out some time in June, and I except that it will be around the card's release.

Write Speed: Yes, MicroSD cards can get to as fast as 22 mb/s as fifthelement pointed out, but most (in my experience) are around the same speed as the G6's write speed.

Boot-up time: It takes 1-2 seconds to backup saves, no more.

Use of flash memory future proofs it: Well yes, almost all games will work with updates, however there are certain games that will not work because of speed issues on slower media. All there is now is PoR and Downhill Jam that don't work on slow cards, but I am fairly certain that many games in the future will require as much (and probably more) speed as developers push the DS's capabilities more and more. Therefor, the use of fast internal flash memory eliminates speed problems.

G6 Stays by their products: Yes, this is an assumption, but they have already shown support for this product. Three loader updates have already been released, and it hasn't even been released yet! I'd say that there's pretty good support for this card.

that's my rather long two cents on the matter.

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"G6 Stays by their products: Yes, this is an assumption, but they have already shown support for this product. Three loader updates have already been released, and it hasn't even been released yet! I'd say that there's pretty good support for this card."

Is that why they COMPLETELY abandoned G6 Lite? LMAO!

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"G6 Stays by their products: Yes, this is an assumption, but they have already shown support for this product. Three loader updates have already been released, and it hasn't even been released yet! I'd say that there's pretty good support for this card."

Is that why they COMPLETELY abandoned G6 Lite? LMAO!
I was unaware that the G6 Lite needed updates, but ok. I assume that they have moved on to supporting their slot-1 cards like everyone else (except EZ flash it seems) instead of spending time on their somewhat obsolete products.

ProjectVirtue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone know if the team is planning on allowing you to change the screen brightness during gameplay? as opposed to reseting and doing it at the home screen?

And, from what i've seen, the G6 is a great product supported by a great team as well. In 2 months they released 3 updates. Improving OS speed drastically, fixing a download play "problem", and minor bugs hidden in the system. I'm sure they're support will only continue and some sorta epiphany will happen eventually and all those complaints you have will be answered. They already answered the no lag/slowdown with the internal memory. The price isn't outrageous either. You keep saying "oh yeah, get the R4 for 2 gigs and cheaper!" but 2gigs especially seem to have problems. And only the japan edition 1gig fixes the lag and slowdown. the write speed seems to be slower, but does it really matter that much? batch copy'em and browse forums / listen to music for a couple minutes.
lotsa you complain about lack of homebrew support. But i haven't seen any homebrew worth bashing the G6 about. Maybe if there was some fan port of link to the past or something. But as of what i've seen, a PDA, "pod-racer 3000" isn't exactly something to die for.
just my opinion. dont kill me. dont twist it either tho -.-

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trogoldito, you'll need to read my G6DS Real review for a better understanding but its like setting up the device so that it plays like a read DS game rather then a linker.

As for brightness, I doubt it. I wish they would add the battery icon back from the G6 Lite menu.

I agree, they basically gave up on their slot 1 devices other than updates for new games. I mean where is GBA and browser play for their slot 1 devices like all the other manufacturers have now?

Has anyone viewed the upcoming M3/G6 Extensions Media player? Linky

FifthE1ement
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw gonna wash my face in a bit, my eyes feel tired
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and you convince your owner to help you break out of the virtual world to real world
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Eyes - "yawn"
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you bleack in to goverment computer systems to get cyborg schematics so you can get a robot body constructed
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw @BigOnYa the health bar doesnt decrease when i take damage (and yes i put the "at the beggining of the scene change value of greenflatbar: set to Protagonistcopmode.Health::Health())
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    i the protagonist
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    human, robot, cyborg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    human with cyborg enhancements
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or like terminatior
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    with living tissue
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty there is health behaviour you can add to your character, then to use a health bar is lil more complicated, google n watch a few tutorial video on it, be too hard to explain here.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the character has the health behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I know you have to create a health and health max variable. Then there is a calculation you use in code to subtract width size of the health bar. Google few vids.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the "greenflatbar" is one of the preset health bars btw
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm off to go shoot some pool at the bar. Talk to you later.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why does the health behavior exist if you can just use a variable?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and nope the number still doesnt change
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok im gonna make my own asset
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm i think i fixed it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I fixed it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    how are you\
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, we just talked like 2 hours ago