Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They made it VERY clear that it's MADE IN RUSSIA - I wonder why?

Is this to discourage the FBI from going after them? Has anyone bought anything that's made in Russia? Are they reliable?

news1.jpg
That box is really small. Slightly larger than a Switch cart.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
They made it VERY clear that it's MADE IN RUSSIA - I wonder why?

Is this to discourage the FBI from going after them? Has anyone bought anything that's made in Russia? Are they reliable?

news1.jpg
The dumper comes in a separate box or is it tiny enough to fit into the same box as cart?

ConsoleKid69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In some countries it's legal to backup your games. In UK for example it's legal to make copies of your own games.

Under UK Copyright Law, end users can make ‘personal copies for private use’ of content they ‘lawfully acquired on a permanent basis’. This means that it is lawful to make copies of materials you have purchased, received as a gift or downloaded from legal sources. However, it is not permitted to copy content borrowed from a friend, rented or unlawfully obtained. Also, the copies made under this copyright exception cannot be used for commercial purposes.

With the expression ‘private use’, the law explicitly allows format-shifting (e.g. converting audio files from CDs into MP3 format) and making back-up copies. You can also store your personal copies in the cloud without infringing copyright, as long as the storage service is accessible only by you.

Unlike in other EU Member States, under the UK private copying exception it is still illegal to share personal copies with family or friends. However, by limiting the exception to these narrow uses, the UK government has tried to avoid the creation of a complex system of fair compensation as implemented in many EU countries.

UK Copyright Law also allows time-shifting of broadcasts. This means you can record a TV or radio broadcast for viewing or listening at a more convenient time.
It will be illegal in the UK as the cart will contain a firmware of some description which allows the emulation of a Nintendo cartridge which in turn circumvents copyright protection which will be the law it breaks.

Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
It will be illegal in the UK as the cart will contain a firmware of some description which allows the emulation of a Nintendo cartridge which in turn circumvents copyright protection which will be the law it breaks.
Are you a copyright lawyer? Or an internet armchair copyright lawyer? Also this is a Russian product so unless you know much about Russian law or the country on which it's going to be shipped from I would guess you are just guessing about which laws it may or maybe isn't breaking.

Actually mod chips are legal in the UK since 2008, they might be illegal elsewhere and some other countries might not have any laws at all about them or even care about the law. Look at the amount of copyright laws China doesn't care about and and the amount of cloned tech that comes out of there. I would imagine people buying these carts won't be caring too much about breaking any laws, I know I certainly wouldn't.

Last edited by mrdude,

ConsoleKid69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you a copyright lawyer? Or an internet armchair copyright lawyer? Also this is a Russian product so unless you know much about Russian law or the country on which it's going to be shipped from I would guess you are just guessing about which laws it may or maybe isn't breaking.

Actually mod chips are legal in the UK since 2008, they might be illegal elsewhere and some other countries might not have any laws at all about them or even care about the law. Look at the amount of copyright laws China doesn't care about and and the amount of cloned tech that comes out of there. I would imagine people buying these carts won't be caring too much about breaking any laws, I know I certainly wouldn't.
Im not arguing about it but Im not a copyright lawyer but ive been through the courts in the UK myself 5 years ago with regards to modchips etc so know a thing or 2 on what you can or cant do.

Its a very grey area in the UK and the police only really want to get involved if its worth there time and being pressured by certain big companies.

Modchips are illegal if they contain software to circumvent copy protection. I had shed loads of SXOS cores/Lites and pre programmed trinkets confiscated. The blank trinket/gemmas still sealed in packets wasnt taken. The 2008 case was to do with TX xbox chips I believe which came with the so called generic "Cromwell" bios which didnt do much accept allow you to update the chip yourself to a fully functional chip.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Im not arguing about it but Im not a copyright lawyer but ive been through the courts in the UK myself 5 years ago with regards to modchips etc so know a thing or 2 on what you can or cant do.

Its a very grey area in the UK and the police only really want to get involved if its worth there time and being pressured by certain big companies.

Modchips are illegal if they contain software to circumvent copy protection. I had shed loads of SXOS cores/Lites and pre programmed trinkets confiscated. The blank trinket/gemmas still sealed in packets wasnt taken. The 2008 case was to do with TX xbox chips I believe which came with the so called generic "Cromwell" bios which didnt do much accept allow you to update the chip yourself to a fully functional chip.
As you don't know how this mig switch works yet and what software it has or doesn't have, it's speculation on your part whether it does or doesn't circumvent copy protection or if it's breaking any laws in UK or in Russia - where it's made. As for UK sales, or for buyers importing this into the UK from another country - well as there's no sd card with it and the chip code will no doubt be protected, it's specultion whether or not it's running illegal code and whether it's illegal to buy this from abroad - in the same way trying to buy a gun from USA is illegal. Personally I think it will be intersting to see how many people buying this from China or wherever will be arrested and fined - I doubt anyone will be and nintendo will just need to suck it up.

Reactions: peteruk

iGifted

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since its made and manufactured in Russia wonder how the export control will be handled for the US, EU countries..? As a side bar comment this kinda reminds me of the SD2Vita.

Reactions: impeeza

Atlas722

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Well, if games have unique IDs, how would piracy work with this flashcart? since I have read-correct me if I'm wrong-that the switch has a software that records activity even when offline, to detect piracy and what not, so if this is true, on a none-homebrewed switch this flashcart would be useless, theoretically.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Well, if games have unique IDs, how would piracy work with this flashcart? since I have read-correct me if I'm wrong-that the switch has a software that records activity even when offline, to detect piracy and what not, so if this is true, on a none-homebrewed switch this flashcart would be useless, theoretically.
so far we only know what you can play a FULL backup OF YOUR OWN GAMES, period.

Reactions: BigOnYa

sysoverdr1ve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is purely speculation, but if Xecutor rumors are true than the whole "strong against piracy stance" Mig takes is probably just for the obvious legal issues that will arise from being the only switch flashcart on the market right now (which also applies even if they arent Xecutor). They said that piracy is prohibited and will void the warranty, and this hints at piracy being a possibility.

"Mig-Switch does not approve the use of its device with ROMs of games that you do not own, downloaded from the Internet or owned by a friend or any outside source. Beside the fact that it is illegal, it will void our warranty and support."

Even if it does not "approve the use of its device with roms of games that you do not own," it is still possible to use these roms with the product.

I personally dont feel like a flashcart with no piracy capabilities would sell as well as one that will. And after people figure out how the Mig works, if it is possible im sure clones with piracy capabilities will arise.

Last edited by sysoverdr1ve,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo