Not open for further replies.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, a meeting of a misunderstanding of economics, a misunderstanding of stockeeping/retail, "we are fat bastards and proud" and the current twisted version of feminism.

I don't like to use phrases like "won the thread" but wow... sadly the comments on the site (once I had dropped enough of my security for them to load) failed the amuse. Mind you I did follow Veho's link on the space guy's shirt enough to end up on twitter and some of the blogs linked from it so I have had some clothing based amusement this day.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The article itself is balanced and unbiased and states the facts: plus sized women are buttblasted about Old Navy's clothes pricing, and they are trying to blast Old Navy back. The ON representative is given space to explain the rationale behind the pricing, and the article doesn't criticize nor counter the explanation.

And it's true, men's jeans regardless of size are just two tubes and a zipper, there's no design or fitting involved, and the sewing consists of straight lines (I'm oversimplifying here but only slightly). Women's clothing makes an attempt to fit (and plus sized clothing has its work cut out for it, lemme tell you) and extra design, patterning, and most importantly, sewing along different, complex lines takes more time and is more expensive.

plus-size apparel customers, who represent one of the fastest-growing parts of the U.S. retail industry. The market grew 5 percent in the 12 months ended April
They are spreading.

Heh.

Or would "growing" be a better term?

Either way, the plus size market is huge.

I slay myself :tpi:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The article itself is balanced and unbiased and states the facts: plus sized women are buttblasted about Old Navy's clothes pricing, and they are trying to blast Old Navy back. The ON representative is given space to explain the rationale behind the pricing, and the article doesn't criticize nor counter the explanation.

And it's true, men's jeans regardless of size are just two tubes and a zipper, there's no design or fitting involved, and the sewing consists of straight lines (I'm oversimplifying here but only slightly). Women's clothing makes an attempt to fit (and plus sized clothing has its work cut out for it, lemme tell you) and extra design, patterning, and most importantly, sewing along different, complex lines takes more time and is more expensive.
I wouldn't necessarily go for the "type of cuts" argument since that doesn't have much to do with the sex of whoever wears the clothes, rather their taste in fashion - there's "fancy" men's clothes if that's how you roll. There's another pretty obvious point to consider - bigger clothes are just more material, and material costs. Yes, it's just a couple of square centimeters per a pair of pants, but multiply that by the number of extra large units produced and you get a hefty number. Bigger clothes just take more material to make - it's obvious.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"How much is something worth?"

"Whatever someone else is willing to pay"

I am sure we could debate the specifics of material cost, design cost, build cost (in general and in having to expand the scope of whatever construction apparatus is used), unsold stock/lack of liquidity cost, (ab)use of returns system cost, the benefits of increased price providing a downside for a curable and undesirable status and any number of other aspects of design, manufacture, society and selling. However I can not help but feel that it will always return to the above.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I wouldn't necessarily go for the "type of cuts" argument since that doesn't have much to do with the sex of whoever wears the clothes, rather their taste in fashion - there's "fancy" men's clothes if that's how you roll. There's another pretty obvious point to consider - bigger clothes are just more material, and material costs. Yes, it's just a couple of square centimeters per a pair of pants, but multiply that by the number of extra large units produced and you get a hefty number. Bigger clothes just take more material to make - it's obvious.
Foxi4fashionDesign ;O;

We're talking about why "plus sized" women's clothes cost more than "plus sized" men's clothes despite using the same amount of fabric, and I'm saying it's because they are more labor-intensive. Labor is a much bigger factor in manufacturing cost when the raw material is something relatively cheap like denim. I agree that there's "fancy" men's clothes but plain jeans are anything but. Basic men's jeans don't have a fitted ass, no narrowed waist, there are no darts. No matter the type they are a variation on the cone and the seams are straight lines. You could draw a parallel to woodwork. Cutting a straight line with a circular saw takes a second, cutting complex curves takes significantly more skill and time and increases work costs. Using two types of fabric instead of one increases work cost even if both are the same price. And so on and so forth.

And I'm going to stop saying "plus sized" because it never means tall, all it ever means is fat.

Speaking of which...

http://imgur.com/gallery/4R45O

EDIT: And back on the subject of shirts: http://i.imgur.com/kVSe4nK.png

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
good-girl-malala-yousafzai-seriously-what-she-has-done-at-age-of-for-womens-education-is-am-bloggers-52505.png

Reactions: Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

It's weird because it's true. Feminazis are hurting women by doing this crap like shifting focus of how to progress women's rights to superficial shit like "Why der sexually appealing girls in dis game" or "Looking at me at any instance while being a male is rape". How do these people live with theirselves?

They legitimately do not give a shit about women or women's rights, what they care about is a safe zone because they're too weak to deal with the misfortunes the real world brings them. They want to make everything about them, and how they want their way.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
^ that woman was shot by the taliban for saying woman should have rights to education. I forgot her name now

Edit: malala yousafzai

Reactions: Veho

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
KfjGkEr.png

EDIT:

rYrC16M.png

EDIT OF EDIT: Actually I'm not 100% certain that second one isn't a troll. This is XIR tumblr and the Poe's law is strong with this one. I can't tell any more.

EDIT OF EDIT 2: REVENGE OF EDIT: Upon further examination, I have decided it's actually a troll. This is a comment on a picture of Samus Aran with lipstick on her helmet visor:

I am so glad you made that stupid ugly orange robot thing into a girl. What sick man designed that thing anyway? Its ball-like shoulders make it look like a giant orange dong. What spiteful male made this? Only guys would make a robot shaped like a dick…

So yeah.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...y'know, now that we've landed on a comet... do you think it'd be at all possible to organize a cruise for all the feminazis and... y'know, leave them there? Make things better again? They'll have their own camp there, I promise! They can have equality cookies in peace and I swear, there won't be a single filthy white cishet male there! :)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Strong Womyn Everywhere: SHE BLINDED ME, WITH SCIENCE! Edition

CJ4RINc.png
Will they just completely drop the pretension of being anything but bigoted and hateful? God, I hope so. I mean, say what you will about Neo-Nazis and the KKK, at least they're upfront with their prejudices.

QxYh76C.png
They do have that, it's called the social sciences. Unless you want to repeat this, of course:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"A fair use lawyer to draw up the legal documents that justify our use of media clips."

So they are up for sharing anything but food?

"If you increase your pledge to $100 we will include a hard copy of the DVD without educational rights in your reward."
"A fattitude logo sticker and copy of the film on DVD - and for all you educators or librarians out there, this copy will include the rights to show the film in educational settings."

Unless I am mistaken education is one of the three main aspects of fair use. Now I would not be surprised to hear this is a legit thing they can do but hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1