Final Fantasy VII Battles Are Action-Based, Confirms Director Tetsuya Nomura

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by Prans, Mar 7, 2017.

1. DavidKang

DavidKang GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2012
    Seoul
    I didn't really like command based games but FF series made me to play it just because of the story. I enjoy action-based more so if they were to release it I would be happy.

2. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    Feel free to post that here to inform those who don't know (not that billions already know) but I highly doubt it's gonna make front page. If you find out Obama is making video games for a living now, that might make the cut.

3. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Cockney tempa

May 22, 2010
    United States
    Good. I want to be able to experience my favourite game in a brand new way, I want to interact with FFVII in ways I have never done before and I don't want to play the same game with a glossy coat.

I want the original to remain unique and not be demoted to an inferior version, I don't want the remake to be better, I want it to be different.

Thomas83Lin likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I agree, though most people don't seem to nowadays.
    It's just that, when the remake was officially announced, I had hope that it would be every bit as good as the original if not better, and thought "they know better than to fuck with the mechanics of a game this good and risk screwing it up and enraging the fans, right?", and in the end that's exactly what they did.
    In my mind there's not a lot they could do to improve it so any major changes risk detracting from the experience.
    I shouldn't be surprised, because they've been doing that to the FF series for a long time. I'm just disappointed.

But I might be biased because I really don't care much for Action RPGs at all. I wish they would put as much effort into creating new turn-based RPGs as they do with action RPGs though. Sure, Bravely Default and Second are great, but besides that and Final Fantasy Dimensions what turn-based RPGs have they made in the past 12 years?

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Mar 8, 2017
  5. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    SE could release an HD remaster of the game that changes literally nothing but the art and the music and people would still bitch and moan, kinda like how people got pissed at DQ8's soundtrack (but I only played the hacked dub with the original music so I wouldn't know how bad it is.) There's will always be people who don't like changes made in remakes/remasters/sequels. If they just made a remaster, there'd still be a lot of people who said "This isn't the FF7 I love(d)." So they decided from the beginning for it to not be the FF7 people loved but a FF7 that people can fall in love with all over again.

gameandmatch likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Of all the games you could have picked for a fighting engine you choose Zelda? Also placing Zelda next to the souls franchise(s?) for fighting engines? Are you on the caffeine again?

Are we going to see a similar situation to when people genuinely like Sonic Adventure, to the continued bafflement of those that were there for the 8-16 bit era?

That said I kind of like FF12, though I had burned out on Final Fantasy clones some time before that.

Last edited by FAST6191, Mar 8, 2017
  7. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    We wanted an ff7 hd edition. Of course they took what people wanted and just had to add their own ideas to it. Episodic action rpg. So, pretty much an interactive Advent Children. Fuck you squeenix. I now have second thoughts on wanting an ff6 remake. Unless it's a fan remake.

osaka35 likes this.
  8. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Cause OOT was the start of everything. Name one Japanese Action RPG (not Action game) besides dark souls that has depth. And as of right team Ninja seems like the best Japan can offer an we know How other M goes.

Last edited by Yil, Mar 8, 2017
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The line between genres is blurred and probably multidimensional at this point. Also I wouldn't make the distinction anyway -- game mechanics is game mechanics, a kid edutainment game could have the most hardcore driving engine* and count as part of a driving game debate.

*actually not so much of a joke. I remember doing one as part of a latest 10 games or something for a review on the DS and the driving section of that was full gears, clutch, turning and everything in real time.

Still if Zelda is my benchmark for depth
    The bouncer

Way of the Samurai

Ninja Gaiden (2004 franchise)

Shinobi

Resonance of Fate

Technically a korean game but Magna Carta II

Soul of the Samurai/Ronin Blade

Not Japanese, whether Japan likes it or not it is judged by the standards of everything else out there, but Jedi Knight 2, predating OOT as well

While we are mentioning souls I should probably consider king's field

If we go to 2d games then we will be here all week, though I will stick up the summon night swordcraft games here.

10. player594

player594 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    An action based battle system has no business in FF VII. I'll stick with the original. Grinding is less mind numbing with turn based.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

V0ltr0n likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Did that many of you play with the turn based settings in the original?

Most people I knew played with the so called atb setup and had all the quick time limit breaks. The way some talk about this change makes it seem like they are taking jobs out of a Final Fantasy 5 remake or something.

12. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Settings is the 1st thing i mess with in every since I'm one of the few that invert y-axis. I also like to see what tweaks are abailable. I didnt use atb in ff7. Just don't care for it. Having an atb system is nowhere near turning a turn based game into an action game anyway. I've had my doubts about this game from day 1. I have a bad feeling that it will not be an experience on the same level as the original. I fear they will make it more linear than the original already is in order to satisfy today's impatient audience. Just like with switch, I'll stand back and observe before deciding to purchase.

13. 71r3n

71r3n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    Tbh, i realy liked FF7: Crisis Core. But that was when i was younger.
    Now i got work to do and other stuff, so i would love to see an turn based remake, so i could play it, even if i was tired after work.
    But maybe im just to old now, and dont have the rights, to complain cause i aint buyin as much games, as i did when i was young. :(

And, tbh again, i dont think many ppl will cry bout the action based remake. We turnbased (or nostalgia) lovers are just not enough to make a weight on the sales.

But who knows. Maybe someday (as said before by someone else in this thread), we get a community mod, taking all the new hd assets etc. and merge it into the old FF7.
    Would love to see that. :)

14. Yil

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    I think ff6 and even ff5 is more deserving.

15. 71r3n

71r3n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    Well, im only 30 right now. FF7 was my first FF ever. Never played FF4-6 (just FF3 on my Lumia 1520).
    And i dont think i will ever play them. I just dont like the visuals.
    There are only 2 ways for me to love a Story.
    1. With realistic Visuals.
    2. Without Visuals at all. Hence a book. ^^

16. Yil

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    I'm a decade younger than you, but I only played a little bit of ff7, all of ff5 and most of ff6 until I got stuck with the new fire dragon.

17. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Other than Zelda, Mass Effect and Fable, there's not a great variety of action RPGs because developers don't want to break away from the ancient turn based trends popularized by Square and Enix in the 80's. The result is the genre is a saturated and tedious grind that's about as interactive as office labor. There are a lot of games where the characters and story grab me, but the only motivation to play is to progress the story, not because it's fun to play and I would enjoy it more if it were a movie or more interactive. Some RPGs have gameworlds that would be great to interact with but instead I'm just dictating someone to do things than being that character doing those things myself.
    Xenoblade X had a great setting for an action RPG but I canceled my plans to get it when I saw it was command based. As good as it was I was disappointed KOTOR was command based when it could've been Mass Effect with lightsabers.
    So I'm happy that a good quality action RPG is coming out, although I'm not into Final Fantasy and think there are better games like I described that deserve an action RPG better, nor do I like the art style. It would be great if there were more colorful anime styled games with fun gameplay so I'm not limited to the same old gritty American blockbuster spiel for my appetite to interact with fictional worlds

Last edited by Snugglevixen, Mar 8, 2017
  18. Cortador

Cortador GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    I for one am very excited for these news.

Wanna play turn based FF7? You already have that option on many different platforms.

19. ablebodyoungman

ablebodyoungman Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2017
    Turn based is for boring old people who smoke ol timey pipes n stuff. This new system will give todays modern gamer the paradigm shifting experience they want and it'll be all like "zhhhhhhhhhhhhezzzz!" " ChaaaChing!" X,O,[], X,O, <-- ,X, -->, L2 + R2.

I just hope they can some how integrate vaping into this game and when like Cloud wins a battle instead of doing the ol timey sword spin celebration he'll do a sweet dab move instead.

Last edited by ablebodyoungman, Mar 9, 2017
  20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm only 26 and I still prefer turn based games.
    Plus, I vape too.