Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

joegoku

Final-Fan(tasy)
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The Iso's are merged because it is easier to translate that way and u don't need to have two isos on ur PSP, things like that.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The Iso's are merged because it is easier to translate that way and u don't need to have two isos on ur PSP, things like that.

Evidently that's not the case when merging them necessitates retuning all the video's and audio. It actually seems, from the position of zero knowledge, that it'd be simpler to replace the text for each UMD separately and avoid the compression issue altogether, plus the merging files. I appreciate that may mean more tedious work, but i'd have thought it'd be simple but time consuming rather than degrading and complex.

Surely a patch for each UMD ISO file can't NOT be a sensible solution for these problems?

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
While a patch for each UMD is very possible (of course it is), it would double my work once the translation is finished.
Basically both UMD's share many text files, Once merged, we only have to care about 1 single disc, and forget about the UMD1 and UMD2 to MERGED relationship.
Merging the ISO's is a need, to remove all duplicated files (otherwise we would have almost 6 MB of text to translate, instead of 3). In this case, optimizing the compression is easier than go back and split the merged ISO into 2 again. Also, I like to create fancy and good looking patchers (check out the ones I did for FF1, FF4 and T3B); doing one of those to support 2 UMD's would also be more difficult.

About the optimization, I'm confident that the 4 MB we have left will be enough; there is also a side effect (some audio sync issues in a pair of movies) that I'm also confident we can address. So, to summarize, I'm confident that with a lot of work, the PSP version can come out.

However, I can't say the same about Android, in fact, it was my backup plan if the PSP version turned out to be impossible, but since it's not, I'm focusing on PSP. That was the joke (also IOS version? Google Play? Apple Store? Seriously? loool THIS YEAR?? Well I hope that one can be truth, Mystic... >_>).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
While a patch for each UMD is very possible (of course it is), it would double my work once the translation is finished.
Basically both UMD's share many text files, Once merged, we only have to care about 1 single disc, and forget about the UMD1 and UMD2 to MERGED relationship.
Merging the ISO's is a need, to remove all duplicated files (otherwise we would have almost 6 MB of text to translate, instead of 3). In this case, optimizing the compression is easier than go back and split the merged ISO into 2 again. Also, I like to create fancy and good looking patchers (check out the ones I did for FF1, FF4 and T3B); doing one of those to support 2 UMD's would also be more difficult.

Thank you for explaining things....in my ignorant mind i envisioned a tool like Tesseract scanning blocks of text and replacing it with the script you have, thus automating the task. Although why a patching tool to support both UMD's rather than a separate tool for each?

No matter, i just felt i had to ask as it seemed sensible, albeit tedious, to just replace the text in two separate images rather than have to fuss around with merging.

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Clearly both UMD's are different, Specially for videos so we could either:

-Create two patches: That would go up to more than 1 GB each
-Manually create a program that would extract the iso, find files to replace, and pack it back... That's the "cool" approach, the one I'm aiming to do. It's not an easy task but more difficult to do on 2 discs, since each one have different files to replace :/

And there is another reason to keep the single disc project: Some FMV's videos need editing (since there are some banners that are part of the video stream). These videos *will* reduce it's size once reconverted to PMF; then why not reduce the size of all of them and keep everything under a single ISO? (in fact this is what I did to create the Japanese merged ISO; this, along with relinking some files was enough);)

Reactions: Kirito-Kunz

coredecepts

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm focusing on PSP. That was the joke (also IOS version? Google Play? Apple Store? Seriously? loool THIS YEAR?? Well I hope that one can be truth, Mystic... >_>).

I just want to make sure everyone saw this...

And now back to translating, localizing, editing, typesetting, timing, and testing.

We're making progress.

We're in no position to make a guess as to when we'll finish. It will still be a long time.

But we're making progress.

TheLostSabre

Naberius the Nauseous
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That was the joke (also IOS version? Google Play? Apple Store? Seriously? loool THIS YEAR?? Well I hope that one can be truth, Mystic... >_>).
Anyone with a shred of common sense should know this. Anything within days before April Fools should be taken with a grain of salt. :P

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Reactions: joegoku

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry bout the April Fool's joke. The initial push for one was my idea. Because I'm devious(or so I'm told) and I'm a big jerk turd of the most annoying kind.

Reactions: earlynovfan

Kirito-Kunz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Clearly both UMD's are different, Specially for videos so we could either:

-Create two patches: That would go up to more than 1 GB each
-Manually create a program that would extract the iso, find files to replace, and pack it back... That's the "cool" approach, the one I'm aiming to do. It's not an easy task but more difficult to do on 2 discs, since each one have different files to replace :/

And there is another reason to keep the single disc project: Some FMV's videos need editing (since there are some banners that are part of the video stream). These videos *will* reduce it's size once reconverted to PMF; then why not reduce the size of all of them and keep everything under a single ISO? (in fact this is what I did to create the Japanese merged ISO; this, along with relinking some files was enough);)
hi bro what program you use to find the script and story text in the menu in the game?

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if this has been asked already (most likely) but will you keep the honorifics (like -san, -kun) in the dialog?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, as long as it isn't like Disgaea where "Jennifer-san" was replaced by "Miss Jennifer".

Off the top of my head i can't remember much of Disgaea but dependent upon the situation what would be wrong with that? People actually use that form in English...

Can you flesh out that example and why it's bad?

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Off the top of my head i can't remember much of Disgaea but dependent upon the situation what would be wrong with that? People actually use that form in English...

Can you flesh out that example and why it's bad?

I consider it bad, because it feels a bit weird, with the Japanese voice setting every single time Flonne says Jennifer's name she adds the honorific.
But in English, after calling someone's name (insert number here) time, would't you stop adding "Miss" to the name?
If honorifics aren't added, at least don't replace them by Miss or Mister every single time.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I consider it bad, because it feels a bit weird, with the Japanese voice setting every single time Flonne says Jennifer's name she adds the honorific.
But in English, after calling someone's name (insert number here) time, would't you stop adding "Miss" to the name?

It depends. In English, if a senior figure is talking to a child they'll often add Miss or Master. Personally I think that translating something into English should use English as it's spoken in daily life (or close to dependent upon the fantasy setting). Honorifics in the Japanese sense seem unwieldy and awkward.

But who knows, i'm not a translator so they may well have included them.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It depends. In English, if a senior figure is talking to a child they'll often add Miss or Master. Personally I think that translating something into English should use English as it's spoken in daily life (or close to dependent upon the fantasy setting). Honorifics in the Japanese sense seem unwieldy and awkward.

But who knows, i'm not a translator so they may well have included them.

You do have a point...
But what if there's voice + text dialog?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5