ROM Hack FE Fates USA: Custom Playable Characters DLC

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Just a small update so you guys know this is still being worked on.
OeC5nUF.png

Might chance the face model, no idea which one to use though...

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any chance you can make a version where some of the characters replace bond units so they can be married through ROM editing?

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Is there any chance you can make a version where some of the characters replace bond units so they can be married through ROM editing?
Characters with already existing assets, such as Lilith, Sumeragi, Mikoto, etc, yes, it should be 100% possible, that's how I got Lissa working the very first time I had her, but then comes the next point, characters like her or Chrom would be impossible to be fully implemented since their voices will not work, as that would require decrypting the entire bcsar file and adding the clips for them, which is currently impossible.

tl;dr
If the character uses ingame assets and only needs a playable block, yes, otherwise, the answer ranges from maybe to no.

geddanof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Experiment Report

I've done it! I've got the Custom Units DLC to work in the Japanese version of the game! :D
The solution is actually much simpler than I thought, no ExtData swapping / fe14units files required, but will require a Japanese DLC cia file. Keep in mind this guide is written for a DLC cia with all 62 DLCs available.

1. Extract @DeathChaos25 's supplied DLC's content using ctrtool on the chosen version.

2. Copy the Custom Units DLC content (i.e. 0020.0000bb00 ) to a folder with your Japanese DLC cia.

3. Extract your Japanese DLC cia, replace the original 0020.00000043 content file with 020.0000bb00, and then reconstruct the Japanese DLC ( guide here ).
{> not sure if this even need to be done? >} When reconstructing, change the build CIA makerom command so that the change in FileID is accounted for.
Code:
 ....  -i x.0020.00000043:0x0020:0x00000043  ...
_________________to___________________
Code:
 ....  -i x.0020.0000bb00:0x0020:0x0000bb00  ...
4. Copy the newly made CIA file into your SD card and then install it onto your 3DS (I used FIB, not sure if that makes a difference or not).

5. Go to Dragon's Gate, and the scroll down to the 32th DLC entry [actually 25th from Dragon Gate's menu, due to first 7 DLC entries being skipped in that menu] (it has the default "if" DLC icon, so it's indistinguishable from the other "Reserved" entries). A easy way to find this entry is that it is just 1 slot after Minerva Cipher entry.

6. Enter the DLC, it will automatically install. It takes quite a while to install (1-2 minutes?). Earlier on when I was trying to get this to work, it took so long I thought the game have froze, so I just turned off my 3DS. Little did I know I actually succeeded right from the beginning!

I also noticed once the Custom Units DLC is installed, start up of the game takes a little bit longer, though it's only about 5-10 seconds more; still noticeable though.

* You might notice that the Awakening characters + Cipher characters have their name as "Unknown". To fix this, you will need to modify the Fire Emblem IF game cia itself:
- Extract 0020.0000bb00 's romfs using ctrtool.

- Inside 0020.0000bb00 's extracted folder, navigate to" global->m->@E ". You will need to transfer all the files there to inside your Fire Emblem IF cia's romFS, specifically " romFS/rom->m " . A easy way to do that is to use Team IF's Fire Emblem If Patcher - transfer those files to Fire Emblem If Patcher's "patch" folder & then run the patcher;
Or you can simply use Hans to run the modified romFS file.

* If your Japanese DLC only contains Nintendo's released DLCs, then you should be able to replace another existing DLC slot instead. Adding additional DLC slot is pretty complicated.

Anyway, thanks for making the Custom Units, OP, really appreciate it! :) Though I would still say you should consider making a Japanese DLC version of this mod, the process I went through is certainly not the most noob-friendly.

Last edited by geddanof,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I chose content 20 because in the USA release this content doesn't exist and the entry is marked as "Reserved".

You can change the content ID to match a "Reserved" entry from the Japanese DLC without having to replace anything.

geddanof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I chose content 20 because in the USA release this content doesn't exist and the entry is marked as "Reserved".

You can change the content ID to match a "Reserved" entry from the Japanese DLC without having to replace anything.

For now, 0x20 doesn't replace any existing DLC in any region, so that's a good choice!

By the way, some Custom Units in my game doesn't say anything during victory pose and I've noticed Chrom say "!..." after leveling up.
Is that normal? I'm using the Undub v 6.7.

Last edited by geddanof,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now, 0x20 doesn't replace any existing DLC in any region, so that's a good choice!

By the way, some Custom Units in my game doesn't say anything during victory pose and I've noticed Chrom say "!..." after leveling up.
That's normal, I think.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Characters with already existing assets, such as Lilith, Sumeragi, Mikoto, etc, yes, it should be 100% possible, that's how I got Lissa working the very first time I had her, but then comes the next point, characters like her or Chrom would be impossible to be fully implemented since their voices will not work, as that would require decrypting the entire bcsar file and adding the clips for them, which is currently impossible.

tl;dr
If the character uses ingame assets and only needs a playable block, yes, otherwise, the answer ranges from maybe to no.
So it seems there's a small issue with replacing bond characters, or any character in the game naturally, when you quit the game the next time you load the game they load as the normal character, not the EX DATA one.

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Certain characters are missing some of the audio clips (like the Vallites not having victory audio) because IS didn't add all of the audio for most enemy units. As for the level up text, that must be added manually for each new character.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So I take it this Custom Units DLC doesn't/planned to include custom LVL Up quotes? Not that it's much of a big deal anyway...
None of the characters have any quotes included, Death quotes, level ups, etc.

None of that is included yet, since I'm working on other stuff atm, so the dialogue is really low priority.

So it seems there's a small issue with replacing bond characters, or any character in the game naturally, when you quit the game the next time you load the game they load as the normal character, not the EX DATA one.
Well, if you were to replace a bond unit, this would mean you're doing a GameData romhack, there's literally no reason to replace characters with DLC since we can make new entries, so as long as the modified GameData is loaded, nothing should change, and even if the modified GameData is not loaded, and you save the game with an unedited GameData, nothing should happen to the character, and next time you load up the hack again everything should be as you left it, I know this because the very first iteration of Lissa, she was placed over bond Unit Luka (which I believe was character ID EE), and many times I would load with and without the modified GameData.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you were to replace a bond unit, this would mean you're doing a GameData romhack, there's literally no reason to replace characters with DLC since we can make new entries, so as long as the modified GameData is loaded, nothing should change, and even if the modified GameData is not loaded, and you save the game with an unedited GameData, nothing should happen to the character, and next time you load up the hack again everything should be as you left it, I know this because the very first iteration of Lissa, she was placed over bond Unit Luka (which I believe was character ID EE), and many times I would load with and without the modified GameData.

I don't fully realize how to modify characters in the GameData.bin yet, so it was easier to modify the EX DATA for me at this time. When I've tried using nightmare to modify a bond unit I've either made small changes or made the game crash.

Like when I tried to change the face of a bond unit to Forrest's face, or when I tried to clone Ryouma to a bond unit, the game would crash when loading.

Last edited by Dylos,

prady

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, i had a stupid question maybe, in the Screenshots in the main post, the rom seems to have the original japanese names for the characters (kamui, aqua, tsukiyomi), not the ones used in the USA localization (corrin, Azura etc), could someone tell me which rom are they using? thanx!

upload_2016-8-3_23-20-27.png

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i had a stupid question maybe, in the Screenshots in the main post, the rom seems to have the original japanese names for the characters (kamui, aqua, tsukiyomi), not the ones used in the USA localization (corrin, Azura etc), could someone tell me which rom are they using? thanx!

View attachment 58032
They are using the English translation of the the Japanese game.

geddanof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They are using the English translation of the the Japanese game.
I doubt it, if you look at the user interface of the screenshot, it is NOT the one used in the English translation of the Japanese version. It is most likely the Name Patch mod by Team IF.

i though that the dlc was for the USA version... im confused now haha
Actually, DeathChaos Custom Units DLC do in fact work on a JP game, but right now you need to go through a somewhat complicated process of DLC rebuilding. I detailed the steps I took at the beginning of this page.

Last edited by geddanof,
Reactions: KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, DeathChaos Custom Units DLC do actually work on a US/EU game, but right now you need to go through a somewhat complicated process of DLC rebuilding. I detailed the steps I took on the page before this.
You mean the Japanese game? He's already released the US/EU DLC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Who bans the banners?