Homebrew ARM11 crashes with every other homebrew application, 3DS games, and after using home menu. Twilight Menu++ is root of issue from my own mistake.

Kipperdoodad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before I begin, I'd like to say I'm very new and I apologize if I'm not tagging this post correctly or overlooking any other threads that could easily fix my problem. I've actually found a thread that can help me, I just want to be sure I'm performing the instructions correctly.

My system version is 11.15.0-47U, I'm using a N3DSXL and have both Luma and boot9strap updated to current versions (Luma v11.0 and boot9strap 1.4).
my first prefetch abort svcbreak crash was caused by using the home menu while playing kirby squeak squad via Twilight Menu++ and turning the power off before I could reach the home menu (very dumb mistake). I made a backup of my SD after running into this issue.
prior to the first crash, my Luma was slightly out of date same with boot9strap so I updated both but forgot to check what version of Luma I was on prior to updating. the backup of my SD suggests that the version of Luma I was on was from a late 2020 build (11/16/2020), but I can't tell what version of boot9strap I was using prior to updating. This information seems trivial since updating my CFW didn't resolve my issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

a github thread titled "Arm11 exception, type: data abort - Issue #824" suggested that the best thing to do is delete a file from extdata named "00000000f"
I deleted 00000000f in extdata on both sysnand and sd card. I deleted the whole extdata folder on sd, but ONLY
00000000f on sysnand.

typical crash reports read as:
processor: Arm11 (core 1)
exception type: prefetch abort (svcbreak)
fault status: debug event (OR) translation section
current process: loader (000000000000000)
curiously, only Twilight Menu++ works as well as dsiware, physical cartridges (although arm11 crashes still occur when using home menu button), and sometimes GBA roms. 3DS games,
homebrew apps (anything), and activity log causes crashes. pokemon bank crashes. basically anything that isn't twilight menu++, physical cartridges, or dsiware has a great chance of crashing.

I'd like to use a link to point to another thread where TurdPooCharger mentioned checking for a "gamecoin"-type brick, but I'm too much of a newbie to post links. "black screen at the start of the 3ds" is the name of the gbatemp thread this was mentioned in though. I wanted to follow TurdPooCharger's instructions for checking whether or not I have a gamecoin-type brick, but I'm kind of confused by some of their instructions for trying to keep my user profile intact and how to tell whether or not I'm deleting a dummy folder on Godmode9.

TurdPooCharger's instructions read as:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Check if you have a "gamecoin"-type brick.
  1. In GodMode9, go into [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND directory.
  2. Hold (R)-shoulder button and press (X) button on the datafolder.
    • :!: Be very careful. Pressing only the (X) button brings up the delete option. Do not delete!
  3. Rename the data folder to data2.
  4. Press (START) button to exit GodMode9.
If successful, your 3DS system will try to make a new user profile.

If you want to keep and fix your original user profile,

5. Press (X) to delete the (dummy) data folder. Rename data2 back to data.
6. Hold (R)-shoulder and press (A) on dataCopy to 0:/gm9/out.
  • This will make a backup of this folder.
7. Go into 1:/data/<ID0>/ directory. You will see two subfolders,
  • extdata
  • sysdata
8. Press (X) to delete the extdata.
9. Press (START) to exit GodMode9."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, so this question is dumb but I'd like to know whether I need to press start to exit GodMode9 before starting step 5 if I want to keep and fix my original user profile. Do I have to perform steps 1-4 before moving on to 5-9, or do I start from 5-9 since I want to keep and fix my original user profile? From my common knowledge of Godmode9, holding R+Y is necessary to create a dummy file, but I don't see that being mentioned by TurdPooCharger prior to step 5. They very much stressed to not delete the data folder, but I can't tell whether I'd be deleting a dummy data folder or the original file on step 5. Further reading implies I can restore the original data folder, I just want to be sure I'm not screwing up the process by exiting GodMode9 (performing step 4) when the 3DS is attempting to make a new user profile or deleting the wrong data folder (step 5). These instructions are clear, I just want to be sure I'm not deleting the data folder that isn't the dummy data folder. I haven't started these steps in fear of potentially messing something up.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
***(TurdPooCharger's instructions continued for reference)

(A) If the 3DS system boots to HOME Menu, the bug is coming from extdata.
(B) If the 3DS system does not boot HOME Menu, the bug is coming from sysdata.

10. Go to [0:] SD CARD ()/gm9/out. Press (Y) on data subfolder to [CLIPBOARD] select it.​
  • If mistake was made, press (SELECT) to reset the selection.
11. Go to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND directory. Press (Y) → Copy path(s)<A> yes → button combo → Overwrite file(s).​
  • This will paste back your original data folder with the bug.

(A) If the extdata subfolder was found to have the bug,

12A. Go in the 1:/data/<ID0>/extdata/0004800 directory. Press (X) to delete the f0000001 subfolder.​
13A. Press (START) to exit GodMode9.​
14A. Repeat steps 12A and 13A for all the other f000000* subfolder. Delete them in descending order until you boot to HOME Menu.​
  • The last subfolder that you delete and lets you go to HOME Menu is the one that has the bug.

(B) If the sysdata subfolder was found to have the bug,

12B. Go in the 1:/data/<ID0>/sysdata/ directory. Press (X) to delete the 0001000f subfolder.​
13B. Press (START) to exit GodMode9.​
14B. Repeat steps 12B and 13B for all the other 000#0*** subfolder. Delete them in descending order until you boot to HOME Menu.​
  • The last subfolder that you delete and lets you go to HOME Menu is the one that has the bug.

15. Repeat steps 10-11 to restore the original data folder.​
16. Delete the specific subfolder that has the bug found in steps (A) or steps (B).
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Day 2 of dealing with these crashes and... After charging my 3DS to max battery, I didn't encounter them for a moment. FBI was able to boot, I checked PKSM to my horror as all my storage was empty (although replacing the files in PKSM with my backup's didn't work, I'm sure checkpoint would be able to restore my save), and DQVIII was able to boot as well. It was only after attempting to change my theme from default to a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon theme when I ran into that dang ARM11 crash once again. Until I can fully resolve this problem, I'm likely going to keep encountering this crash. I'm planning on following TurdPooCharger's instructions for getting rid of this bug for good, I just need some extra input from anyone more familiar with using Godmode9 than me. I'd ask TurdPooCharger myself for more help, but it seems as though they're on hiatus sadly. All I need to know right now is how to tell whether or not I'm deleting the dummy data folder on step 5 of TurdPooCharger's instructions. Thanks for bearing with me, everyone.​

Attachments

• arm11 crash dump.JPG
    arm11 crash dump.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 124

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked your SD card for errors using h2testw/f3? (3ds.hacks.guide has a page on this too, but I prefer the dsi.cfw.guide one as 3ds.hacks.guide's pages are OS specific and the testing pages don't mention that you have to format first or it won't work)

TWiLight Menu++ and other DSiWare are stored on NAND and cards are, well, on the carts so it sounds like it could just be that your SD card got corrupted somehow given that it sounds like only programs on SD are crashing. Might be worth at least trying that before messing with NAND.

Also, have you tried booting without the SD card in at all and loading the programs that are still there? That would be another good way to test if it's just an SD card issue.

Alright, so this question is dumb but I'd like to know whether I need to press start to exit GodMode9 before starting step 5 if I want to keep and fix my original user profile. Do I have to perform steps 1-4 before moving on to 5-9, or do I start from 5-9 since I want to keep and fix my original user profile? From my common knowledge of Godmode9, holding R+Y is necessary to create a dummy file, but I don't see that being mentioned by TurdPooCharger prior to step 5. They very much stressed to not delete the data folder, but I can't tell whether I'd be deleting a dummy data folder or the original file on step 5. Further reading implies I can restore the original data folder, I just want to be sure I'm not screwing up the process by exiting GodMode9 (performing step 4) when the 3DS is attempting to make a new user profile or deleting the wrong data folder (step 5). These instructions are clear, I just want to be sure I'm not deleting the data folder that isn't the dummy data folder. I haven't started these steps in fear of potentially messing something up.
It sounds like you need to quit and start the normal 3DS OS after step 4 regardless of if you want to keep your profile, then step 5 onwards are optional steps to come back and do later to restore your original profile, but either way you need to boot to the 3DS OS after 4.

Reactions: CoolMe

Kipperdoodad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to test my SD card using h2testw/f3, but it looks like running any system application such as activity log or system settings isn't causing any crashes without the SD card inserted. The SD card I'm using is a Sandisk Ultra 128 gb MicroSD. It's weird that even system applications usually crashed when my SD was inserted. Before I format my SD card to check for errors, would my backup be able to restore the CIAS I've downloaded? Cleaning my MicroSD could help, but if this SD card truly is faulty, what would my best option for buying another 128 gb SD card be? I've heard these Sandisk SD cards can be crummy so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the root of the issue. My MicroSD is 5 years old now and I bought it on amazon, so that could totally be the problem. I'll start the h2testw/f3 once I hear back from you! Thanks!

(I wanted to reply to you directly, but for some reason the newbie anti-spam keeps preventing me from quoting your post)

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to test my SD card using h2testw/f3, but it looks like running any system application such as activity log or system settings isn't causing any crashes without the SD card inserted. The SD card I'm using is a Sandisk Ultra 128 gb MicroSD. It's weird that even system applications usually crashed when my SD was inserted. Before I format my SD card to check for errors, would my backup be able to restore the CIAS I've downloaded? Cleaning my MicroSD could help, but if this SD card truly is faulty, what would my best option for buying another 128 gb SD card be? I've heard these Sandisk SD cards can be crummy so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the root of the issue. My MicroSD is 5 years old now and I bought it on amazon, so that could totally be the problem. I'll start the h2testw/f3 once I hear back from you! Thanks!

(I wanted to reply to you directly, but for some reason the newbie anti-spam keeps preventing me from quoting your post)
Backing up the SD is fine, recommended even, though if there are corrupted files you may run into some issues while doing so. I've heard Roadkil's unstoppable copier is good on Windows if you run into that, to at least save the files that are still good.

SanDisk cards are actually generally one of the better brands, SanDisk and Samsung are generally considered the two best and Amazon is a decent place to buy them, it being 5 years old though it's not too surprising to see it dying even from a good brand if it was decently used. microSD cards just aren't very reliable storage devices... Just buying another one of the same thing would probably be fine, or Samsung EVO if you want to switch it up given this one (seems to have) failed.

The quote was blocked as I had links in my post, if you run into that again just edit out the links and it'll let you reply. The quote is technically just text in your post so it filters it the same as anything else.

Reactions: CoolMe

Kipperdoodad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backing up the SD is fine, recommended even, though if there are corrupted files you may run into some issues while doing so. I've heard Roadkil's unstoppable copier is good on Windows if you run into that, to at least save the files that are still good.

SanDisk cards are actually generally one of the better brands, SanDisk and Samsung are generally considered the two best and Amazon is a decent place to buy them, it being 5 years old though it's not too surprising to see it dying even from a good brand if it was decently used. microSD cards just aren't very reliable storage devices... Just buying another one of the same thing would probably be fine, or Samsung EVO if you want to switch it up given this one (seems to have) failed.

The quote was blocked as I had links in my post, if you run into that again just edit out the links and it'll let you reply. The quote is technically just text in your post so it filters it the same as anything else.
Oh I totally didn't even think about the links on your post.... Whoops! Yeah I'm guessing the age of this MicroSD probably has something to do with my crashes. Can I use Roadkil's unstoppable copier on Windows 10? The only installers I see are for Windows 8 and below. And once I download it, how do I use it? Do I need to do anything with the backup I made when I first encountered the svcbreak crash, or do I make a new backup via Roadkil's unstoppable copier? The last question I have before trying h2testw/f3 is whether or not my CIAs will be preserved in my backup. Sorry to ask so many questions... I appreciate your help!

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Oh I totally didn't even think about the links on your post.... Whoops! Yeah I'm guessing the age of this MicroSD probably has something to do with my crashes. Can I use Roadkil's unstoppable copier on Windows 10? The only installers I see are for Windows 8 and below. And once I download it, how do I use it? Do I need to do anything with the backup I made when I first encountered the svcbreak crash, or do I make a new backup via Roadkil's unstoppable copier? The last question I have before trying h2testw/f3 is whether or not my CIAs will be preserved in my backup. Sorry to ask so many questions... I appreciate your help!
If you've already got a backup that's recent enough that's probably fine, otherwise I haven't used it myself (I use macOS) but I assume the Windows 8 version should be fine, probably just run it and tell it where to copy from and too. You can also try just copying normally, I've just heard that if there's corrupted files Windows will sometimes refuse to copy where this program will work.

Installed CIAs are installed to the "Nintendo 3DS" folder so as long as you've got a backup of that folder those should be fine.

Kipperdoodad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've already got a backup that's recent enough that's probably fine, otherwise I haven't used it myself (I use macOS) but I assume the Windows 8 version should be fine, probably just run it and tell it where to copy from and too. You can also try just copying normally, I've just heard that if there's corrupted files Windows will sometimes refuse to copy where this program will work.

Installed CIAs are installed to the "Nintendo 3DS" folder so as long as you've got a backup of that folder those should be fine.
Thanks so much!!! I've got an errand to run before I test my SD card using h2testw/f3, but I'll get back to you once I run that test tonight. I'm eager to fish out the problem, but as you've stated the most likely culprit of my crashes is a faulty SD card. That'd make sense since the crashes are inconsistent and I was even able to run the programs that weren't running correctly after charging up to a full battery.

Kipperdoodad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so uh, good news. It doesn't appear that there are any errors on my SD card after giving it a proper format, and so far after restoring my backup there isn't any ARM11 crashes occuring. I'm probably gonna update my twilightmenu++ before trying to play Kirby Squeak Squad again, but so far it looks like there isn't any problems running any applications and homebrew. Thankful that my home menu isn't scrambled and my CIAs are fine... I'll touch back if anything else weird happens, but it looks like everything is alright. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• h2testw photo.png
    h2testw photo.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: RocketRobz and Pk11

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto