eSports isn't considered a real sport but Poker and Snooker is?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I don't see why eSports can't be accepted, they're more active and also better than "sports" such as Poker which is just a bunch of guys playing cards sitting at a table so no real physical use of their body neither, but rather it's more of a strategic to win over the other opponents.

From EVO 2014:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Poker isn't a sport.

eSports are called eSports for a reason, they're not actual sports, that's the whole reason for the distinctive.

Apparently you're not aware that "sport" has many different "sub-genre's" so to speak. Games like Snooker or Billiards are "cue sports", Chess and other board games are "Mind sports", the common basketball/football/soccer/baseball are physical sports, there's "Equine sports" for horseback riding, ice sports, shooting sports and many many many many many many more.

Reactions: Black-Ice

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Poker isn't a sport.

eSports are called eSports for a reason, they're not actual sports, that's the whole reason for the distinctive.

Apparently you're not aware that "sport" has many different "sub-genre's" so to speak. Games like Snooker or Billiards are "cue sports", Chess and other board games are "Mind sports", the common basketball/football/soccer/baseball are physical sports, there's "Equine sports" for horseback riding, ice sports, shooting sports and many many many many many many more.

Correction, there's American Football and Real Football (not that Shitty soc-word).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Correction, there's American Football and Real Football (not that Shitty soc-word).

Cry moar :rolleyes:

I do want to clarify my post, though, when I say actual sport I mean the dictionary definition of sport, being a physical activity. eSports are eSports because they require little to no physical activity from the participant at all, I think that's the real reason a majority of people won't consider them "real" sports, because 99% of the time you're just moving your fingers, and pretty much all non-gamers aren't aware of the fact that games require strategy.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What's the video about? All I see is a championship between two brawl players, so if it's about an argument as to why esports should be considered being a sports, then I'd like to know where it starts.

The line of which activities are considered sports or esports is pretty thin (chess isn't much better than poker, for that matter. At least in terms of physical movement). So I'd like to hear what the advantage would be if "esports" were considered a real sport? Because we all know that wiping out the first letter of "esports" isn't going to change the world.

(besides...shouldn't the lines be made clear which games ARE an esports and which aren't first? We all know that games like DOTA 2 or starcraft 2 are far more popular than some of the more obscure sports, but if we can't even make the difference between a 'game' and an 'esports game' clear, then I can't take the whole "esports" vs "sports" thing seriously either)

EDIT:

... and pretty much all non-gamers aren't aware of the fact that games require strategy.
I don't believe this. Perhaps in the '80s or '90, then it could be that the non-gamers dismissed those "games" to be casual entertainment. But nowadays, I seriously doubt it. Not only are there more gamers than ever before, but it's pretty clear that they're not going anywhere either. If you ask me, it'll be hard to find anyone who never played a computer game before, and even less to be so (blisfully) ignorant of their very basics. A line like this is almost like saying "...and pretty much all non-movie watchers aren't aware of the fact that movies can be about deep emotions."

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You had a whole league of games to pick and you pick Smash Bros Melee...

Esports is accepted... by people who follow Esports.
The ESL and various esports organisations have been slowly growing and popularity is increasing, if people don't want to like it. Heck that's their problem. No point trying to force people to "accept" something.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you look up any definition of sport any video game will fall into the same category... eSports itself just means "Electronic Sport"

- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport - A contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

- Video games require hand and eye coordination so covers the physical activity (unless you don't believe your hands are physically doing something), every game has a set of rules applied to it (this is limited by the engine of the game), and it requires you to play against another player (That is clear by we have tournaments against one another).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If you look up any definition of sport any video game will fall into the same category... eSports itself just means "Electronic Sport"

- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport - A contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

- Video games require hand and eye coordination so covers the physical activity (unless you don't believe your hands are physically doing something), every game has a set of rules applied to it (this is limited by the engine of the game), and it requires you to play against another player (That is clear by we have tournaments against one another).

:rofl2:

Hand-Eye coordination isn't a physical activity you moron, it's the ability to coordinate your hands movements with your visual sense. If hand-eye coordination is a physical activity, then literally everything we do would be a sport :rolleyes:

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hand-Eye coordination isn't a physical activity you moron, it's the ability to coordinate your hands movements with your visual sense. If hand-eye coordination is a physical activity, then literally everything we do would be a sport :rolleyes:

It's not like these even matter. I've played video games for years and I'm clumsy as fuck. Being able to see something on a screen and to tell your hands "DO A HADOUKEN" isn't a skill. Not a useful one at least.

This whole "video games are sports!" thing is just sad NEETs trying to justify what they've wasted 20 years of their life doing as a "sport" and trying to smear it in the face of the jocks who gave them wedgies in high school.

Reactions: Gahars

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Correction I said that is the physically part of the definition of Sports. With the sets of rules and against other people makes it a sports so YES everything we do could be a sport since the definition of Sport only defines doing something physically with rules and against other people.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

This ^

Tbh there is no point of arguing over the legitimacy of the name "esport"
The concept is simple to understand and makes sense. No they're not the same as the traditional sports and shouldn't be related to as such. But yes they do foster a skillful competitive environment where tactics and strategy are involved and provide good spectator entertainment like traditional sports and that's why the name "esports" exists imo.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
eSports is not a subsidiary of sports, it's its own classification. eSports does not involve intensive physical activity which is a critical difference between the two.

The definition of Sports doesn't state there needs to be a "intensive physical activity" only that it is a physically activity. I would bring in Golf but that is just side tracking from the argument lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn