The scary world of HIDs (Human Interface Devices)

• Thread starter IC_
  • Start date
  • Views 1,161
  • Replies 8
  • Likes 3

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hello to all Low-EMF gamers,

It's most likely that all of you still use a computer regularly. And while you can protect yourself from the EMF Waves emitted by it and the monitor by using a faraday cage and also sitting at a long distance from them, you also have to take the dangerous Human Interface Devices into consideration, as using wired ones instead of wireless ones is not enough to protect yourself from harmful amounts of EMF.

hidbad.jpg

Let's start with some history:
A long time ago, in a better world without computers, people used these weird-looking mechanical things to write their social media posts:

twitteracenturyago.jpg

These were purely mechanical and did not emit any amounts of EMF. What a better place the world was back then...
Unfortunately, an undisclosed amount of time later, the first electric computers were created. Technology was still basic back then, so the first common method for humans to interface with computers, was to use a modified device like the one shown in the previous picture, where the key presses would be electrically sent to the computer, and the computer would electrically send other text back to the machine to be printed. Unfortunately, as you might be able to guess, such a modified device already runs on electricity and poses a huge risk to the human body with the EMF waves it emits. This is where the dark era of harmful Human Interface Devices begins.

The devices then evolved to be even more harmful than before. With the progression of harmful computer and television technologies, humanity created the "video terminal", which functions similarly to the previous device, but now replaces the printer and physical paper with a television screen that shows the text that would have been printed. This obviously emits even more harmful EMF waves.

dangerousvideoterminal.jpg

A photo of a man using a video terminal to interface with an old-fashioned computer that fills the room he's in. Let's have a moment of silence for his health...

At this point, you might think that it can't get any worse than sitting so closely to a big harmful cathode ray tube all day. Well, you'd be kind of right, as that's basically what people continued to do for decades, even as computers got smaller and faster (which probably also means even more harmful and high-frequency EMF from the computer itself), at least until LCD screens became available, which are probably actually a lot safer to the human body than the old Cathode Ray Tube. However, that obviously doesn't mean that they no longer emit harmful EMF, so it's still important to be at least 10 meters away from such a monitor when it is powered on.

That ends this part of that little history tale. There's the one kind of HID that remained mostly unchanged over the years:

scarykeyboard.jpg

THE COMPUTER KEYBOARD

I'm sure all of you are familiar with this unfortunate piece of equipment. Over the years, the "computer mouse" also got added to the mix, which results in even more harmful EMF that it's hard to protect yourself from, since those are the devices that have to come into direct contact with your body parts. Some people might think "what can be harmful in these things that just have a bunch of buttons and a movement sensor?" and that's where they're very wrong. True, from the outside, the keyboard might just look like a hundred or so buttons, since they're just switches that let a little bit of electricity flow through them (which could still already be a bit harmful), but there's an important thing to take into consideration. Count the amount of buttons you have on your keyboard. Now count the amount of individual pins in the connectors that the keyboards use:

oldconnector.jpg
newconnector.jpg

See, that's the problem. The same applies to the computer mouse. And how do they solve this issue? Well, they basically embed tiny little computers into the keyboards and mice that then communicate with the actual computer at high frequencies. And of course, the high frequencies they run at result in high-frequency EMF waves being emitted right from the keyboard and mouse. You can't forget that the communication with the computer isn't the only part of the problem, as the sensors in the computer mouse are also high-frequency devices, and most keyboards also scan the keys that are pressed at high frequencies. So, even if your computer and monitor are tens of meters away from you, you will still have some amounts of harmful high-frequency EMF waves right at your fingertips, since you have to use a keyboard and mouse somehow. Now what can we do about such a huge problem???

Well, let's take a look at how the Master Creamu themself uses their computer.

mastercreamu.jpg

As you can see, they use additional EMF-protection gloves on their paws when using the keyboard and mouse. I however don't think that this is enough, since the high-frequency EMF might be able to penetrate through those gloves, and it can also easily get to the other exposed parts of the biological body. However, it's the third panel of that comic that gives me an idea. Let's say that we remove the computer mouse from the mix completely. It's still possible to use most modern computer software with just the keyboard, thanks to at least tiling window managers on Linux operating systems. Now look at that super-long table in the third panel of that comic. What if we partially went back to the pre-computer ages, and created a purely mechanical keyboard, but with a hundred or so 15-meter long sticks than then press electric buttons on an electronic keyboard controller that's connected to the computer at the other end of the table? That way we wouldn't have any EMF waves close to our body, since the keyboard we use would be purely mechanical.

That's my idea for solving the problem of HIDs and their EMF. I'm happy to hear your ideas as well.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Thank you for this great article. I think you are correct, there is no need to have the switches directly under the keys and a mechanical interface would be a good update. A piano doesn't need switches under them neither, the strings get hit via mechanical transmission. A mechanical trackball mechanism should be possible as well, even thought that is more complicated. When natural order is restored we can work on these products for a more life friendly enviroment. For now I had trouble with canary harassing me and fake Vulkans as well as real Vulkans unable to restore order.

As soon as that is dealt with, we need to target the most damaging EMF concerns. I suggest looking into ways to get people to take more care of their microbiom, to counter the auto-immune-disease pandamic. Numerous studies have shown that EMF radiation alters the genes of your microbiom and laptops, NS and steam deck are a primary concern. Wireless keyboards certainly are reason for concern as well. Your suggestions are ambitious, and we are nowhere near close to advocate for this level of clean enviroment but it is good to plan ahead.

Reactions: IC_

JonArbuckle28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find that it's just easier to encase myself in a Faraday cage. That's a personal choice that I don't expect everyone to agree on

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I find that it's just easier to encase myself in a Faraday cage. That's a personal choice that I don't expect everyone to agree on
Hello,
That's an interesting opinion of yours, I have never thought of that before. However, you would still have to use human interface devices somehow in order to use computers - is there any way you have of doing that, without exposing even one of your arms to harmful EMF radiation? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
It's unfortunate that our EMF-Awareness group is gone now, this just shows how biased and mature the moderators are on this website. But at least the existing threads were left for us to participate in.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi,
So wait...these tin-foil hats I've been wearing don't help? :wacko:
They might be able to partially protect your brain. However, other parts of the body also get affected by EMF radiation, and even if your brain won't deteriorate just from EMF radiation, you'll still likely experience serious health problems and diseases in other parts of your body. Such damage to your organism is likely to worsen the functioning of the brain as well.
At least it wasn't HIV, now there's an idea for your next post.
Thank you for your valuable observation. It's not a bad idea to change the name to HIV (Human Interface Viruses). Perhaps those devices were created on purpose, in order to cause health problems for us people, hmm?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...