eSports isn't considered a real sport but Poker and Snooker is?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Correction I said that is the physically part of the definition of Sports. With the sets of rules and against other people makes it a sports so YES everything we do could be a sport since the definition of Sport only defines doing something physically with rules and against other people.

Gosh, then I guess grabbing that box on the top shelf is the best sport, or picking up that sock on the floor! BEST SPORT EVER

Quit being a stubborn idiot.

D

Dork

The definition of Sports doesn't state there needs to be a "intensive physical activity" only that it is a physically activity.
You can keep trying to validate eSports because THE MERRIAM-WEBSTER DICTIONARY SAID SO but Sports will always be referred to as physical enduring activities by nearly anyone you talk to.

I would bring in Golf but that is just side tracking from the argument lol
>implying golf doesn't require extensive physical discipline to play correctly at a competitive level

Reactions: nryn99

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Esports are still testing the waters, I follow and write about the LoL esports scene and its great but it still has alot of room to grow and develop.

Threads like these are the wrong way to go about promoting esports. They're part of the reason why those who don't agree on its legitimacy are so adamant in their view.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Gosh, then I guess grabbing that box on the top shelf is the best sport, or picking up that sock on the floor! BEST SPORT EVER

Sorry for being a realist since you like to put arbitrary rules (there goes another verb to describe something) because you don't like to be told when you are wrong about a definition. To that I'm sorry lol

You can keep trying to validate eSports because THE MERRIAM-WEBSTER DICTIONARY SAID SO but Sports will always be referred to as physical enduring activities by nearly anyone you talk to.

>implying golf doesn't require extensive physical discipline to play correctly at a competitive level

A definition is what we commonly refer to something or there would be no reason to use that definition. Sorry while I go make the Dork Dictionary to comply to your logic of "Sports". Plenty of people say sports requires "physical enduring activities" but that is because most people only considering like 5 sports "real" sports while stuff like Cheerleading, Poker, Bowling, and Pool are put under the rug certainly Pool which requires just as much skill and physically "intensive" as playing League of Legends (with a team) or Starcraft 2.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for being a realist since you like to put arbitrary rules (there goes another verb to describe something) because you don't like to be told when you are wrong about a definition. To that I'm sorry lol

Merriam-Webster said:
1wrong

noun\ˈrŋ\
: behavior that is not morally good or correct
: a harmful, unfair, or illegal act
: you

Reactions: Gahars and TerryG
D

Dork

A definition is what we commonly refer to something or there would be no reason to use that definition. Sorry while I go make the Dork Dictionary to comply to your logic of "Sports".

Yes, and sports being physically enduring is commonly referred to. The one in the minority defending an archaic definition here is you. Funny enough, definition of "sports" from Google and Dictionary.com mention physical activity. I guess those are just wrong and uncommon.

Why are you so insistent on validating eSports as "real sports". Is the term eSports not enough?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
What is it you want from a reclassification, exactly?

Even if eSports did become accepted as sports, you do realize that there's not going to suddenly be a stampede of ex-football groupies coming round your house to watch you play xBox, right?

Reactions: nryn99 and Depravo

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, and sports being physically enduring is commonly referred to. The one in the minority defending an archaic definition here is you. Funny enough, definition of "sports" from Google and Dictionary.com mention physical activity. I guess those are just wrong and uncommon.

Why are you so insistent on validating eSports as "real sports". Is the term eSports not enough?

You don't consider your using your hands physically activity?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't consider your using your hands physically activity?

Is masturbating a sport? I mean there's a method to perfecting it, there's endurance and skill tested for a payoff.

GBAtemp's Annual 2014 Wankoff is now accepting registration. Show us your moves!

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ban sports, NFL hides brain injuries, high school kids becoming retards from getting knocked around too hard, etc

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a form of encephalopathy that is a progressive degenerative disease, which can currently only be definitively diagnosed postmortem, in individuals with a history of multiple concussions and other forms of head injury. In March 2014, researchers announced the discovery of an exosome particle created by the brain which has been shown to contain trace proteins indicating the presence of the disease,[1] however, a test is not yet available. The disease was previously called dementia pugilistica (DP), as it was initially found in those with a history of boxing. CTE has been most commonly found in professional athletes participating in American football, ice hockey, professional wrestling and other contact sports who have experienced repetitive brain trauma. It has also been found in soldiers exposed to a blast or a concussive injury,[2] in both cases resulting in characteristic degeneration of brain tissue and the accumulation of tau protein. Individuals with CTE may show symptoms of dementia, such as memory loss, aggression, confusion and depression, which generally appear years or many decades after the trauma.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/75487104/football-concussions-traumatic-brain-injuries-nfl

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-concussion-settlement-not-acceptable/379557/

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/16/2005764/high-school-football-brain-injuries.html

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look up any definition of sport any video game will fall into the same category... eSports itself just means "Electronic Sport"

- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport - A contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

- Video games require hand and eye coordination so covers the physical activity (unless you don't believe your hands are physically doing something), every game has a set of rules applied to it (this is limited by the engine of the game), and it requires you to play against another player (That is clear by we have tournaments against one another).

>Jumping through mental hoops to define video games as "physical activity"

You know, it's thinking like this that's behind our obesity rates. What's next on the "it's physical activity because technically you have to move a little" list, breathing?

If you like playing video games, play video games. If you like playing video games competitively, then do that and have a grand old time. You don't have to try so hard to validate the hobby.

Reactions: ohsoroso

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
A sport is every competitive activity we are doing for fun and/or to develop skills and abilities. Video games can be sports. A sport isn't about physical activity only.

A video game could be useful for self improvement. For example, video games helped me learn english. You could also train your brain with some types of games etc.

Of course, watching other people play video games competitively is about as boring and useless as watching people kick a ball around... A sport is only worth it if you are the one doing it (and reaping the benefits).

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
esports shouldn't be considered a sport because what it is really is people wrestling with controllers/keyboards/mice

I guess fighting games are alright though since you're allowed to use arcade sticks, gamepads, pretty much whatever you want. Except that they're fighting games, and fighting games are trash. Honestly if the competitive community didn't exist then there would be no more fighting games.

esports, hell, you might as well have Desert Bus competitions. It has nothing to do with gaming and nothing which gaming should be about.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States

Golf was perhaps a poor analogy, but I see where he's coming from. I'd say other, more vague classifications such as Chess or Poker being called sports would be a more accurate comparisons. There's no physical form practiced in either (perhaps trying to keep a bullshit face in poker, but that is not very physically oriented).

I guarantee you if you can get enough people to participate and watch people taking things off the top shelf and find some sponsors, it'll be on your ESPN lineup after they come up with regulations for the box's size, weight, material, position and the shelf's position, material, height from the ground. You put that shit on ESPN, I'm sure any company that has any sort of boxed goods will be jumping on that nonsense in minute to make sure it's their logo on the box.

Soon enough you'll hear about all the disqualified athlete stars who were taking performance enhancers so they could reach the box a tenth of a second faster or the crazy man who cuts off his own testicles so he weighs less and has less wind resistance when sprinting to the shelf.

If people can gather interest and it makes money, they'll make whatever they want into a "sport" and shamelessly plug it.

eSports is gaining popularity and breaking new ground. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, professional League of Legends players can actually come to the US on sports visas now. As much as I hate that game and MOBAs in general, they are serving as the first popular gateway for other eSports genres to eventually flourish.

I'm not saying that eSports should be on the same networks as sports or be called "sports". eSports suits them fine. There is competition of the realm we live in, the real world, and then there are competitions of virtually constructed environments being played to their fullest. If you need a television or monitor to compete, it is properly classified as an eSport.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1