Homebrew doom

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was making a clean up of the fies I found in my SD's root, and I opened up the prboom.cfg file.
Found this:

Code:
# Music
mus_e1m1                  "e1m1.mp3"
mus_e1m2                  "e1m2.mp3"
mus_e1m3                  "e1m3.mp3"
mus_e1m4                  "e1m4.mp3"
mus_e1m5                  "e1m5.mp3"
mus_e1m6                  "e1m6.mp3"
mus_e1m7                  "e1m7.mp3"
mus_e1m8                  "e1m8.mp3"
mus_e1m9                  "e1m9.mp3"
mus_e2m1                  "e2m1.mp3"
mus_e2m2                  "e2m2.mp3"
mus_e2m3                  "e2m3.mp3"
mus_e2m4                  "e2m4.mp3"
mus_e2m5                  "e1m7.mp3"
mus_e2m6                  "e2m6.mp3"
mus_e2m7                  "e2m7.mp3"
mus_e2m8                  "e2m8.mp3"
mus_e2m9                  "e3m1.mp3"
mus_e3m1

What does this mean?!
Can we use .mp3 files in Doom 3DS and we didn't even know?! o.O
Nope - not implemented.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well older version I posted works best for me without bugs and has higher fps, the latter version works better for others without bugs. So you have to try them both I guess. I'm running via cia on New 3DS XL 10.7 sysnand

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well older version I posted works best for me without bugs and has higher fps, the latter version works better for others without bugs. So you have to try them both I guess. I'm running via cia on New 3DS XL 10.7 sysnand

After trying the newest version and hitting multiple bugs like:
Repeatedly the game just freezes which requires a hard reboot of the system.
The enemies tele-porting bug
Random loss of audio requiring a save and reload of prboom3ds to fix
One time when restarting to fix the loss of audio it even lost my config and I had to setup my key bindings again

I was going to try your suggestion of using the old version but I can't even get into a game with it. I can select my game (wad) but it just stops after the "starting music... done" line.
Part way up the screen I see "Sound init failed!" which is probably the problem. This also requires a hard power off of the system.

I'm using the cia install on a New 3DS XL with Luma3DS CFW on arm9loaderhax with a updated 10.7 sysNAND

Other then that I seriously love playing the original Doom in actual 3D. It brings back fond memories of my childhood when the game was new.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello,
Could someone please direct me to instructions on how to setup music for prboom?
.3dsx or/& .cia
Thank you.
There is no setup for 3dsx. Via depends on the version. You may need to run a Dsp dumper to extract the Dsp binary. Aside from that nothing is needed.

Pikoulin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thank you. You are right! there is music. And after running the dsp dumper I think it sounds better.
What about some wads (for example scythe 2) that fail to load the music (mus_load_music:failed)?
By the way thank you for this port. It makes the 3ds so much better.

Noelemahc

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Currently using the 0.2 build from the first post, CIA build hangs when trying to run Freedoom as an IWAD, haven't tried the 3DSX yet - it loads, starts playing the demo and hangs a few seconds later. How do I deal with that? I assume it has something to do with the sounds used by Freedoom?

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DsDoom has it's source code available:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsdoom-svn.364770/

And I just saw that elhobbs helped out with the music of it.
I was wondering if you have peeked at the SVN to see if you could implement the automap in the lower screen like how that version did. :P
That would be sweet, also if we could full screen the top screen and drop hi elements to bottom screen then the 3d would more comfortable too.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not without a code change. The default path would need to be changed to romfs. I don't really see the benefit though.
Thanks for that. I still have know idea how to do that, lol.

I'm asking because the new theme seems to be going all cfw flies will be stored in nand which really cleans up the SD card of files. Now all I have are doom file on the SD card root, would have love to have it all hidden a bit better: say in the Nintendo 3DS folder.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that. I still have know idea how to do that, lol.

I'm asking because the new theme seems to be going all cfw flies will be stored in nand which really cleans up the SD card of files. Now all I have are doom file on the SD card root, would have love to have it all hidden a bit better: say in the Nintendo 3DS folder.
Haven't tried this myself (as I don't spend a lot of time worrying about how pretty my sd card root directory is :) ) but you could try putting the files in "/doom/" or "/usr/local/share/games/doom/".
If you want to try a code change then I would change current_dir_dummy in I_DoomExeDir here - https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3d...86c583244e7bcf84a04/arm9/source/ds_sys.c#L248

Reactions: democracy

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by democracy,

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I really don't intend to sound like an ass, but is this still being worked on? Your homebrew is great and I would love to see more.
I have not done anything with doom for a while. thought about adding the hardware render code from the heretic port I created - since they are both both doom engine games, but I have not been particularly motivated to work on it though. started a couple of other ports as well but again motivation has been lacking.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have not done anything with doom for a while. thought about adding the hardware render code from the heretic port I created - since they are both both doom engine games, but I have not been particularly motivated to work on it though. started a couple of other ports as well but again motivation has been lacking.
If you were to add heretic's render code, would that be beneficial to performance somehow (It's not bad at all) ? And of course, work whenever you want to. No one is pressuring you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already