Dolphin Emulator 4.0 Slower Than Older Releases?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think your right. The first few games I tried were gamecube games an they seems to load fine, but when I tried to load a few wii games they didn't work so well. I was going to get a computer with an AMD A10 processor and 12GB of ram but I got my overtime at work cut so it will have to wait.

If you want to use your PC for emulation, then don't bother with APU's or AMD CPUs in general. Both Dolphin and PCSX2 run miles better on Intel CPUs, mostly due to Intel's higher IPC compared to any AMD CPUs.

And APUs are practically garbage emulation-wise in general, as the combined CPU/GPU is much weaker than a standalone CPU. For example, I have an AMD A10-4600M in my laptop, and I can hardly emulate any Wii games, and the more intensive GC games struggle as well.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think your right. The first few games I tried were gamecube games an they seems to load fine, but when I tried to load a few wii games they didn't work so well. I was going to get a computer with an AMD A10 processor and 12GB of ram but I got my overtime at work cut so it will have to wait.

Try to got for a Core i5, Intel generally performs better overall with complex emulators for some reason, due to certain instruction sets in the CPU chips I believe.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use your PC for emulation, then don't bother with APU's or AMD CPUs in general. Both Dolphin and PCSX2 run miles better on Intel CPUs, mostly due to Intel's higher IPC compared to any AMD CPUs.

And APUs are practically garbage emulation-wise in general, as the combined CPU/GPU is much weaker than a standalone CPU. For example, I have an AMD A10-4600M in my laptop, and I can hardly emulate any Wii games, and the more intensive GC games struggle as well.

Well that sucks, I'd much rather have an AMD. Guess I'll leave Wii and GC games for my consoles then. I always wanted to try dolphin, but never had a video card in my PC. My nephew gave me that 8400 so I thought I'd give it a try. I guess I'll be done with dolphin then. :mellow:

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that sucks, I'd much rather have an AMD. Guess I'll leave Wii and GC games for my consoles then. I always wanted to try dolphin, but never had a video card in my PC. My nephew gave me that 8400 so I thought I'd give it a try. I guess I'll be done with dolphin then. :mellow:

Why are you giving up so easily? There's no shame in using Intel CPUs. Newer AMD CPUs would run most games fine, the problem are the APUs in them, they usually suck, but don't take that as a sign to just give up. Intel being better for emulators isn't bias, it's simply how the Intel line of CPUs perform on them.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you giving up so easily? There's no shame in using Intel CPUs. Newer AMD CPUs would run most games fine, the problem are the APUs in them, they usually suck, but don't take that as a sign to just give up. Intel being better for emulators isn't bias, it's simply how the Intel line of CPUs perform on them.

Sorry, I'm amd all the way. I've got a few PC's lying around here with intel and amd, but if I'm spending my money then it's on an amd.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm amd all the way. I've got a few PC's lying around here with intel and amd, but if I'm spending my money then it's on an amd.

AMD will work just fine, but you'll need a better CPU than that, nothing with an APU will be that great, but an upper-mid ranger CPU will suffice. The APUs that are on there are garbage, a dedicated GPU, also mid-range, is a must.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to go off topic.

I really don't do any gaming on my PC, I have minecraft and that's it. I tried the free demo of Diablo3, but the latest update loads to a black screen. The last time I did PC gaming was with Diablo 2. I was thrilled that somebody gave me a video card, I thought I could join the master race, boy was I wrong.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to go off topic.

I really don't do any gaming on my PC, I have minecraft and that's it. I tried the free demo of Diablo3, but the latest update loads to a black screen. The last time I did PC gaming was with Diablo 2. I was thrilled that somebody gave me a video card, I thought I could join the master race, boy was I wrong.

Dude, it's fine, I don't have a super high-end gaming rig either, but I use both consoles and PC, so, no need to feel left out ;)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to try that PSP emulator now, this video card must be good for something besides giving me an HDMI output socket.

PPSSPP? It's the most compatible PSP emulator out there, easy to config, and quite fast actually http://www.ppsspp.org/

Other emulators for PSP have no advantage.

Reactions: stomp_442

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8