Translation Digimon Story: Lost Evolution Translation Project

• Thread starter yugix
  • Start date
  • Views 1,591,559
  • Replies 2,283
  • Likes 730

Which do you prefer for place names?!

• Stick with Japanese names for all names.

Votes: 141 27.9%
  • Use localized names (from Dawn/Dusk) for old names, and Japanese for new names.

Votes: 365 72.1%

• Total voters

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
LOL we're not weak. Its quite easy to simply ignore people who are impatient.
1 patch or no patch, sounds dickish but thats the way its being done. No point complaining.
you're right, it is dickish. especially since obviously a lot of people have been waiting for it. and seemingly no progress is being made. also if you think i'm complaining you're wrong, i'm pointing out that releasing a unfinished patch has many advantages.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you're right, it is dickish. especially since obviously a lot of people have been waiting for it. and seemingly no progress is being made. also if you think i'm complaining you're wrong, i'm pointing out that releasing a unfinished patch has many advantages.
And i'm here to say it also has many disadvantages.
I wont take this any further since the result is redundant, and will basically be pointless posts
Official team dick says no.
#ThatsJustTheWayItIs
#DealWithIt

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And i'm here to say it also has many disadvantages.
I wont take this any further since the result is redundant, and will basically be pointless posts
Official team dick says no.
#ThatsJustTheWayItIs
#DealWithIt
"And i'm here to say it also has many disadvantages." you haven't given a single one.

the only "disadvantage" is that people will dl the unfinished one and won't bother waiting for the finished one :)

PK Mongoose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're satisfied with an incomplete patch, you might as well download the ROM and play it as is, with all the Japanese intact. I'm sure there are plenty of threads you can find where people have translated what all the important buttons do, and if there aren't any, you could just go with trial and error. If you're not comfortable with that, you probably wouldn't be comfortable with the incomplete patch, and then you'll be back in the same boat you were in before.

I don't think you realize exactly how much work it takes to take the translated text and images they have right this second and put that into a working, tested patch. And that would take from time they'd be spending on more important things.

All in all, if they don't feel they should release the current working patch they may or may not have, it's their decision, and we should respect it, considering they're taking time out of their lives to create this.

PhantomBanger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see how it's dickish at all.
From the start they've said there will be one complete patch, nothing less than that.
I'm sure if you were actually paying for this, they might consider otherwise, but as this is something they're doing for free and in their own time...I think a little patience (or even a lot) is deserved.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the only "disadvantage" is that people will dl the unfinished one and won't bother waiting for the finished one :)
that's a good one + releasing multiple patch is stupid + People will complain EVEN MORE about the patch being unfinished + they'll stupidly ask "I tried to apply the patch but it doesn't work" OFC it has to be on a clean ROM"

Not to mention, they don't "have" to do that, they want to, if you're not happy, deal with it.

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Releasing a full, complete patch works better IMO

Since I think the team members or whoever are too busy to do pros/cons of partial/full patches let me throw some stuff out there to perhaps at least explain some general logic behind each option:

Partial Patch:

Pros:

- people get to start the game faster
- people who just want menus or other basics can get that
- people feel like progress is being made
- increases support for the project if the incomplete patch is decent, meaning slightly increased momentum

Cons:

- it takes a lot of time to invest into making the patch
- often times it means breaking up the process, instead of translating and preparing as one big step over a few months, they have to do part of it, then insert it into the game, then get back to translating/preparing, etc., this is detrimental to the speed of the project as a whole
- much more likely for bugs, glitches, etc.
- it's incomplete, derp
- people will complain about certain things that will likely be fixed in later patches, and until the team releases a new patch they will CONTINUE to say this
- nubs will question why it's not fully translated and ask about when the full patch is coming etc., wasting the people's time when they should be working on the final patch
- the opposite of the last "pro" can also hold true, it can backfire and decrease momentum if people end up complaining too much or releasing the incompleted patch can make the team lose their momentum and even say "whatever I'm too busy we'll just quit here"
- people who make progress on the incompleted version will likely want to switch to the new completed version once it's out, meaning the creator's have to then worry about supporting the transferring of saves, which can be not only difficult to explain to people, but sometimes impossible/generally difficult if the game's programming has been edited enough
- the experience of transitioning from an incompleted patch to a completed one is generally weird because people have to get used to all the translated text--as odd as it sounds that people might be thrown off by everything being translated when that's the goal, if you've followed enough projects, this'd probably make some sense (for one, if you're mid-playthrough and didn't know crap about the story besides inferences from cutscenes... -_- then the translated story appears and it's like "uh, wut?")

Full Patch:

Pros:

- less likely for bugs, glitches
- everything's done, so people can just sit back and enjoy the game instead of worrying about all the untranslated text, stuff that has yet to be done, etc.
- more professional
- everything is "consistent" so to speak, there's no "oh, they changed the name of X to Y from one patch to another" because there was only ever one name
- people spend less time annoying creator's and pushing their buttons
- allows them to focus and work on the project most efficiently instead of worrying about getting patches out
- pretty much, it lacks most of the cons of partial patches :|

Cons:

- it takes a lot longer to get released and in the mean time there's nothing to "keep people busy"
- there may be time spans with little to no visible progress
- difficult for someone to pick up the project if it dies unless the team shares their progress privately (which is totally feasible so :|)

Even if you're not good at reading and comprehending English, I think the pure quantity of pros/cons of each attests to which one is generally the better option

And ultimately, it's the team's choice, and if they're working on this translation hack for free on their own time, they have little reason to listen to the petty desires of people who contribute little to nothing to the game (with the exceptions of legitimate suggestions, which happen oh so not often)... i.e. to say, they can do what they want, and they don't have any obligation to explain themselves, nor does anyone have any obligation to follow the project and play it when it is complete :P

But there's also the whole "people being nice/reasonable and explaining their logic", as a hacker, project manager, etc. I took the liberty of speaking for translation teams in general, I apologize if I said something that doesn't apply, I just felt like giving my 2 cents on why full patches are preferable over partial patches. ^_^

Reactions: StorMyu

dnpuckitt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol lots of censorship. Its obvious your a little biased towards the cons list. People keep preaching patience, but having to unnecessarily wait years to play a game is beyond patience. I assume this comment will be deleted.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
This is directed at no one in particular, but I feel it needs to be said.

I played through this game on my own, before this project even started. I'm still not entirely sure what happened in the storyline; it's why I support this patch. While it is possible to find your way through the game without a translation, it would be much easier if it was a full one.

If you want to play this that badly, then by all means go ahead. If you're that impatient, know that it can be done with minimal Japanese knowledge.

But if you want a quality patch, you'll have to bear with us and everyone working on the patch who have lives and are unable to devote literally all of their time as some seem to expect. Not only do we have jobs and stuff, but we also have to sleep. We also have to eat. We are human, just like you, and must fulfill the needs to our survival, just like everyone else.

When there's an update, it will be posted, rest assured. If this thread remains dormant for some time, it's not because it was dropped, but because there's other circumstances. Maybe it's being worked on, but not enough for a proper update to the thread. Perhaps it is on the backburner while we deal with real life issues. There's a myriad of reasons, but none of them will ever be that it was canceled. If that happened, there'd most likely be a notice in the thread regarding that.

Remember that incessant questions and demands for a release have killed translations before; with such a promising project as this, would you really want to be the one to blame for the cancellation? Relax, be patient, and always check the first post for news. That's the best place to check on progress.

Until then, patience is required. Please look forward to it.

darklordfang404

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is directed at no one in particular, but I feel it needs to be said.

I played through this game on my own, before this project even started. I'm still not entirely sure what happened in the storyline; it's why I support this patch. While it is possible to find your way through the game without a translation, it would be much easier if it was a full one.

If you want to play this that badly, then by all means go ahead. If you're that impatient, know that it can be done with minimal Japanese knowledge.

But if you want a quality patch, you'll have to bear with us and everyone working on the patch who have lives and are unable to devote literally all of their time as some seem to expect. Not only do we have jobs and stuff, but we also have to sleep. We also have to eat. We are human, just like you, and must fulfill the needs to our survival, just like everyone else.

When there's an update, it will be posted, rest assured. If this thread remains dormant for some time, it's not because it was dropped, but because there's other circumstances. Maybe it's being worked on, but not enough for a proper update to the thread. Perhaps it is on the backburner while we deal with real life issues. There's a myriad of reasons, but none of them will ever be that it was canceled. If that happened, there'd most likely be a notice in the thread regarding that.

Remember that incessant questions and demands for a release have killed translations before; with such a promising project as this, would you really want to be the one to blame for the cancellation? Relax, be patient, and always check the first post for news. That's the best place to check on progress.

Until then, patience is required. Please look forward to it.
You pretty much said everything that needs to be said, I wanted to try it but I don't even have minimal knowledge of the language so I just get confused and stop playing.

LeoMachado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I would simplify everything by saying.... it's their patch, they can do what they want with it, we have no right to insult them by being impatient :-) .

Man! there are a lot of good games out there, keep playing and keep playing or doing something productive like planting a tree or reading a book, and when the game is ready...You will know!! : )

Would you like to have an un finished painting in your living room?, well.. no... we would love to see the final release. : )

Reactions: porkiewpyne

PhantomBanger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's funny how people on the internet think that because they know about something, they're entitled to it.
Heck I'm SUPER DUPER excited to play this game and REALLY wanting to see progress on this patch, but I'm not going to pester them with questions or complaints. If not for them, it wouldn't be happening AT ALL, so we just have to be patient.
Just live your life and we'll be waiting <3

Reactions: porkiewpyne

PK Mongoose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol lots of censorship. Its obvious your a little biased towards the cons list. People keep preaching patience, but having to unnecessarily wait years to play a game is beyond patience. I assume this comment will be deleted.
Those posts were deleted for being part of a stupid argument over nothing. It has nothing to do with whatever you think it is.

jojoxyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been a while since I've been on here and it seems there are still those trying to pressure those working on this project into releasing an incomplete patch. Hopefully those of you working on it are not annoyed or discouraged by the impatient few. There are still many who are waiting for the completed patch no matter how long it may take. To those of you feeling impatient, besides the suggestions others have made, try finding another game to play or picking up a new hobby. You have invested no time or money into this project unlike those working on it, so you are owed nothing. Yes, it has been in the works for a long time, but complaining about it does not speed up this translation. In the year+ that they have been working on this those of you who are tired of waiting on the patch could have learned programming or Japanese to help speed things up, but you didn't try to do anything to help so you have no right to complain about how long it is taking.

KurokiKazeFFU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heh, don't mind me, i'm just a newbie to GBATemp and keeping to myself, but i have to admit, i'd like to see a full patch rather than multiple incomplete patches (in some cases i'd take the latter, but that's only on games i'm relatively sure i know what i'm doing, like Super Robot Wars games.) i hope you guys keep up the good work, and i hope someone does Super Xros Wars Red/Blue, given i want to play that game badly without being confuzzled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1