Hacking Devolution - Public Release

NJ7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tak and the Power of Juju USA works perfect now with voices not skipping and repeating as they did before, 100% perfect, updating list now...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
@[member='tueidj']
Just a thought for whenever you eventually have a chance to update the OP with the rev number ...
... you could also add a link to the keyboard instructions on this post
http://gbatemp.net/topic/330554-devolution-public-release/page__view__findpost__p__4418687
http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/page-83#post-4419889

For those of you that use Wiiflow I added a devolution setup page to the wiiflowiki for wiiflow 4. Let me know if I need to correct anything.
I'm, no expert but it looks good to me. The only thing I question is it says to put the ISO files in the /games folder which works great for the sample loader but I didn't know WiiFlow could use them if they weren't in a sub folder.

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 seem to be working! Gotten past the start menu into the real game without issues.

Unfortunately, it seems those games have managed to screw up their own save files once again. I wonder if the emulated memory would fair better than the real cards or if these games just suck at saving...

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: NTFS isn't supported, correct? I'd test it myself but the only two USB drives I have that are large enough to hold GCN games already have dual partitions consisting of both NTFS and FAT32, and making backups and deleting partitions is a pain with slow USB 2.0 drives...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Quick question: NTFS isn't supported, correct? I'd test it myself but the only two USB drives I have that are large enough to hold GCN games already have dual partitions consisting of both NTFS and FAT32, and making backups and deleting partitions is a pain with slow USB 2.0 drives...
There was some talk about NTFS support at the beginning but it was if you were running it through something like WiiFlow, CFG or GX, etc where the loader could handle the NTFS for Devolution and just pass in the first sector or a frag list or something. I don't know if it was ever implemented or anything.

You could always just copy a game over to NTFS and see if it works from another loader as a test.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the F-Zero GX fix. The new revision shows r118 dated 2012/10/17 03:46:16 instead of r160, I guess is only a typo
Considering the meta.xml hasn't been updated since July 15th and lists the version number as "1.0" rather than as a revision, I'd say that's pretty good. :P

I know but I'm not saying about the meta.xml, the loader shows r118 instead of r160, it confused me for a moment but it's the latest looking at the date

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always just copy a game over to NTFS and see if it works from another loader as a test.
But I never could get it working properly in the loader that I do have, even on FAT32. Either way, USB loading for GCN games isn't really that useful for me at the moment, so it's low priority for me until controller emulation gets implemented in Devolution.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know but I'm not saying about the meta.xml, the loader shows r118 instead of r160, it confused me for a moment but it's the latest looking at the date
That's a screw-up on my end caused by double-checking against r118 a few minutes before I made the final build, when I switched back to working with r160 main.c didn't get recompiled because it had no changes. I'll probably fix it later.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just ran into something wierd... sometimes when logging with netcat for nt on TimeSplitters: Future Perfect I don't always get the entire thing, that is it sometimes cuts off around half-way through. I didn't realize this before and updated the log I posted to be one that actually shows the entire log.

I haven't a clue what could be causing such a problem, whether it's TimeSplitters, Devolution, my USB drive, my Wii's wifi, my router, or netcat for nt.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Probably poor signal strength at the wii causing slow sending speed, if it tries to send a packet while the previous packet is still "in the air" it just gets dropped instead of queued. Doesn't really matter for this case.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone cares I threw together a "Devolution wifi logging for Windows Dummies":
http://www.mediafire.com/?583migoicdmbu6l

It's in a self-extracting archive to make sure a noob doesn't try to run it directly from the archive since it won't work that way. Note that I have no idea if it works on 64bit, but it at least works on 32bit versions of XP and Win7. And yes it's just a batch script and a readme with the program & data files hidden, but nobody had already thrown together such a thing...

I give permission (and encourage!) for anyone to link, host, and upload this package anywhere as they see fit. No permission or credit to me is needed.

Reactions: 2 people

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because that's not idiot proof enough for my tastes. :P One thing is that it's also just faster and easier for me to use this with my own testing and Devolution logging, even though I know my way around classic DOS let alone the Windows command prompt. (though I'll admit I'm not skilled with commands)

And d'oh, I completely forgot about the "> log.txt" command! I'll be adding that and updating the above link and archive accordingly.

EDIT: here's the new even-more automated version (I've updated the link in my previous post as well):
http://www.mediafire...583migoicdmbu6l

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='tueidj']
Just a thought for whenever you eventually have a chance to update the OP with the rev number ...
... you could also add a link to the keyboard instructions on this post
http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4418687

For those of you that use Wiiflow I added a devolution setup page to the wiiflowiki for wiiflow 4. Let me know if I need to correct anything.
I'm, no expert but it looks good to me. The only thing I question is it says to put the ISO files in the /games folder which works great for the sample loader but I didn't know WiiFlow could use them if they weren't in a sub folder.
Thanks for the heads up. Fixed, now says -
Devolution requires clean 1:1 disc images (use Cleanrip for best results). Do not convert to DiscEx or compress them. They must have a .iso file extension and be placed in the /games directory for the Devolution Sample Loader. For WiiFlow put the game.iso in a sub-folder of the /games directory and name the sub-folder the title of the game. For two disc games place the second ISO into the folder of the first and rename it to gam1.iso.

Reactions: 1 person

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because that's not idiot proof enough for my tastes. :P One thing is that it's also just faster and easier for me to use this with my own testing and Devolution logging, even though I know my way around classic DOS let alone the Windows command prompt. (though I'll admit I'm not skilled with commands)

And d'oh, I completely forgot about the "> log.txt" command! I'll be adding that and updating the above link and archive accordingly.

EDIT: here's the new even-more automated version (I've updated the link in my previous post as well):
http://www.mediafire...583migoicdmbu6l
Ah ok, TBH. i didnt check your "idiot proof" package yet...and i do appreciate the effort.
I was just surprised anyone needing more direction, because i personally felt it was an very easy to follow short huide and had no problem at all to set up/run netcat.

:yay:

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can anyone provide a link to r160?
It looks like the front page hasn't been updated yet :(
The link is always up to date, new revisions replace the old revisions on tueidj's server with the same file name. The first post just hasn't been updated with the new revision number. Clicking that link will always give you the latest version.

Reactions: 1 person

Benze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Metal Gear EUR is working without issues now, so does Zelda Master Quest EUR. That leaves only Crash Bandicoot not working perfectly in my collection. I posted a new log in the Compatibility List. I am looking forward to the GBA-Emulator Connection for Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: On a bad day you hear I missed my period +2