Country
Indonesia

kerneldev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why must they do this, what is the point in crown 3ds, there site has no updates and no information released and is nothing more than hope for the desperate who want a flashcart for homebrew and so they dont have to pay for there games. Crown is never going to exists, i don't know what the point was but it has never progressed past the one video they posted donkeys ago.

I think that a flashcart probably is in the cards this year but the system still has not been exploited.
But maybe it will exist... :ninja:

The most interesting thing here would be homebrew development/exploiting the new capabilities of the 3DS. I could care less about piracy... most people wind up downloading ROMs they would never play, if you can't play for free, you are more picky about which titles you plan on buying, which leads to a better gaming experience/more depth. The ROM hacking/modding crowd will obviously enjoy loading clean ROMs, but I think most of the homebrew scene is just interested on programming for a great platform. It sucks Nintendo hasn't learned its lesson yet about opening up the development kits. The current licensing scheme means they are missing out on a whole bunch of possibilities that would attract people to their product. We can always keep dreaming.

Mindzpeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Nowadays I care more about homebrew and emulation than piracy when talking about hacking because nintendo would find a way I'm using roms and ban me from online playing. Like in PS Network or Xbox Live for hacking. Though I'm not sure if they ban u for using copies.

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
the main problem without piracy, you can't get homebrew.

why must they do this, what is the point in crown 3ds, there site has no updates and no information released and is nothing more than hope for the desperate who want a flashcart for homebrew and so they dont have to pay for there games. Crown is never going to exists, i don't know what the point was but it has never progressed past the one video they posted donkeys ago.

I think that a flashcart probably is in the cards this year but the system still has not been exploited.

The most interesting thing here would be homebrew development/exploiting the new capabilities of the 3DS. I could care less about piracy... most people wind up downloading ROMs they would never play, if you can't play for free, you are more picky about which titles you plan on buying, which leads to a better gaming experience/more depth. The ROM hacking/modding crowd will obviously enjoy loading clean ROMs, but I think most of the homebrew scene is just interested on programming for a great platform. It sucks Nintendo hasn't learned its lesson yet about opening up the development kits. The current licensing scheme means they are missing out on a whole bunch of possibilities that would attract people to their product. We can always keep dreaming.
you think develoment kit are cheap? they will not offer as free.

kerneldev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the main problem without piracy, you can't get homebrew.

you think develoment kit are cheap? they will not offer as free.

I would pay for them. The costs and retail price involve a whole process of quality assurance behind the scenes.
There's a lot of wisdom in the old saying "You get what you pay (or bargain) for".

The problem here is that you expect others to give you something without charging for it. If you were capable of developing it, and had the means and resources, you wouldn't hand it out without asking for something in return. Generosity != freeloading. I don't approve of some of the stuff Nintendo does, but in the end they are a company and their employees have bills to pay, just like you and the rest of people do.

kerneldev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nowadays I care more about homebrew and emulation than piracy when talking about hacking because nintendo would find a way I'm using roms and ban me from online playing. Like in PS Network or Xbox Live for hacking. Though I'm not sure if they ban u for using copies.

I have a Xbox 360 and the only reason I haven't done any reverse engineering on it is that I don't want to get banned from online services. They can block your credit card forever probably and it's a hassle to use gift cards for XL.
For me the ability to load pirated ROMs is only a bridge between choosing a game I want to buy and not buying it after realizing it's a waste of $$.
If I have a ROM without a cartridge it's because I forgot to delete it after downloading it and trying it out ;)

virgildraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

I have a Xbox 360 and the only reason I haven't done any reverse engineering on it is that I don't want to get banned from online services. They can block your credit card forever probably and it's a hassle to use gift cards for XL.
For me the ability to load pirated ROMs is only a bridge between choosing a game I want to buy and not buying it after realizing it's a waste of $$.
If I have a ROM without a cartridge it's because I forgot to delete it after downloading it and trying it out ;)
Yeah me too, i have a lot of roms wihout catridges, just like cuz i forgot to delete them thats all, but most of the time i delete them after finishing the game

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
homebrew and emulation were awesome on the ds,, those bad snes and genesis emulators that didn't really work. That awesome moonshell app that always crashed when you watched videos or listened to music or did anything and All the amazing homebrew games that i can't seem to remember for some reason.

The flashcarts did allow for custom game hacks that caused awesome games like new super mario bros 3 to exist but besides that the carts where pretty much all about nice menus and skins, rampant piracy, cheats and having all your games on one sexy little cart.

Say what you want but if the 3ds gets hacked people wont be looking for awesome homemade games, they will pirate and then probably not buy most of the games.

I have been buying 3ds games and so far have purchased only a few but they are the ones i really want. pilot wings, mario kart, mario 3d land and zelda ocarina of time. if i was able to pirate them i would never have purchased them, maybe i can't speak for others but i know that i will not pay for something i can easily get for free.

Face it if you steal something from someone or a store you feel really guilty and wrong. If you went straight into a game store and grabbed a sealed copy of a game and stuck it in your coat you would feel like a thief, but in the privacy of your own home on a computer downloading a small 128mb file and sticking it on a micro SD. You may have taken developers hard work for nothing but you don't feel like a thief since you physically have not stolen anything and you know that well if you really enjoy it you can always buy it afterwards..............riiiiiiight!

Point being the fact that people can't pirate yet is good, It's not a lie that console exploits can help boost console sales massively as many people will tell you about the psp, but they do nothing for game sales and can certainly contribute to falling game sales which in turn leads to less games being developed and lower budget, lower quality games.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Saying "DS homebrew blows, so 3DS homberew will too" is really stupid. You obviously don't understand what made homebrew so bad on the DS.. That is the fact that the DS has about the same CPU and GPU as a calculator. You just can't do much with that.
The 3DS is actually way more compareable to a Wii and that one has great emulators, videoplayers and some really fun homebrew games.

But other than that: Do we really have to have this "I don't want to pirate" - "Well I love pirating"- Argument in every thread here?

Reactions: 3 people

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who say homebrew sucks on the DS have never tried NeoDS or some of the stand alone MAME roms.
I have the following all running great on mine.

Mame (Most of these have loads of variants for gameplay variety)
Bombjack
MRdo
Pacman
SnowBro
Solomon's Key

NeoDS
Art of Fighting
King of Fighters 1998
King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
The Last Blade 2
Metal SLug 1-5 + X
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Savage Reign
Sengoku 3
SNK VS CAPCOM
Sonic Wing 3
Strikers 1945

Then look at the PSP, the only thing I use mine for are emulators and homebrew and the list there is endless. The 3DS would be awseome.

Reactions: 2 people

Gintoki Sakata

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's like saying homebrew is great because you have a GBA emulator and GBA games are great.

Reality check. Most people like homebrew because they can play their favorite ROMz and ISOz. Homebrew without ROMz/ISOz would mostly attract only hobby programmers.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same sort of reason Warez uses a Z, to denote piracy opposed to legit methods.

But yeah portable emulators are the main reason I use my PSP opposed to my DS in many cases.
I would love to see if DC or CPS3 would run ok on the 3DS. Probably need the Vita for those though. Retro handheld glory :D

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love homebrew projects like the Lone Wolf DS homebrew series, Moonshell, ComicBook DS, and DSOrganize. Now those are some handy homebrew applications. (also translation patches...love 'em!)

The games from Homebrew on the other hand, let's just say it, they suck. This is not restricted to the DS, most homebrew games in general suck. Some of the homebrew on Wii have crummy controls and frighteningly bad graphics. Homebrew games are hardly entertaining, imaginative, or visually appealing. I don't mean to offend the developers of homebrew games, as im a big fan of the indie game phenomena and understand how hard it is to develop on your own, but some of these shouldn't be called "games" but rather someone's curious dabbling in how the console games are made and whatnot.

I believe it's not a proper game until it has resposive controls, clear instruction upon what must be done within said game, a defined purpose for game actions, and gameplay that is actually entertaining.

Once those three are met, then developers should move on to eye-catching graphics (the only reason Angry Birds in famous), music (employing the help of musicians in the similar manner of the Mother 4 project), other general aesthetics, and finally the wrapping, QA. (which can be done by developers, private selection, and/or public)

Finally, upon final release, the game can be relesed and promoted as a fine Homebrew game. (given that it wasn't made by any company and whatnot)

That's like saying homebrew is great because you have a GBA emulator and GBA games are great.

Clearly you're not getting it. It's the ability to play all these games that makes the emulator (the homebrew) great. Emulators are not easily coded onto consoles.

Reactions: 1 person

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Isnce i recently got my 3DS (friday) and i always in the past had hacked consoles i have to say this
i will ONLY hack my 3ds for emulators foe example Snes and GBA.ESPECIALLY GBA since i cant play my real game cardridges anymore
i have for example GS1 and 2..metroid fusion , Zero mission, ff1+2 dawn of souls ff4,ff5,ff6,mother 3, BoF 1-2
I have so many great GBA rpg games that i love so much.

So THIS is my reason if i ever wanted to hack 3ds and not the actual 3DS games
if they hack it?...sales will go down again on actual games and the companies will have no interest in making good games

Btw is there anyone a 3DS ambassador? if so can anyone can post a photo from Metroid Fusion while playing in 3ds console?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...