Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by heartgold, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    2.5" HDD's peak at around 2-4W, they don't take much power to run at all, and most SSD's eat through about 1W. You're forgetting that initially iPods used 1.8" HDD's since flash storage was unavailable or prohibitively expensive at high capacities and those devices had killer battery life. I don't get where the HDD power drain myth comes from, but modern drives barely drain batteries.

2. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    So I've thought about this, and I feel as though this Tegra X1 is custom and I will explain why.

My best example would be a custom PCB graphics card. Technical specs are identical to a non custom card, however the PCB is shaped differently, the VRM are different, etc. The chip on the Switch can easily be a standard Tegra X1, but the PCB around it can be custom. I'm trying to understand why these tear down videos don't realize this is allowed. Since this Tegra X1 is not the shape or standard layout of a Tegra X1 it is technically custom.

PCB is part of the tegra, and the switch has a custom built one.

[​IMG]

The switch Tegra X1 does not look like this, and thus it is custom fit and modified for the switch needs. It is customized for the nand the switch uses, the screen, the wireless, etc.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    I said that if you think Nintendo's console is "overpriced" or "underpowered" or whatnot, then you have a simple solution: Don't buy it.

That's a reference board. Custom PCB manufacturing is a fairly straightforward procedure, and you can use off-the-shelf parts on a custom PCB without any problems. For example, my ThinkPad X230 has a customized logic board, but its CPU is an off-the-shelf Core i5-3210M. (soldered to the board since it's an X series)

What the OP is referring to is the X1 SoC itself, not the supporting hardware or the PCB.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, Mar 20, 2017
  4. DespyCL

DespyCL GBAtemp's Official Axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    Yah, of course if you move a single piece or part it becomes custom, that's exactly how original characters work :u

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The PCB is *not* a part of the SoC, that's a preposterous suggestion anyways. The "custom" part here is the clock speed, that's it, at least until someone finds differences on the silicon.

DrkBeam, Xabring and Coto like this.
  6. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    It's a stretch to consider it "custom" even then, but that's why Nvidia and Nintendo can get away with their announcements. It's not a lie, but the truth is not what we expect. That kind of marketing or information giving, along with the fact that they didn't bother correcting anyone who assumed it'd run at 1TFLOPS at FP32 is pretty shady. But yes, they weren't lying if you really want to go into word specifics.

7. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2013
    What do you mean? Isn't that the point of big.LITTLE? It's a power saving feature, you aren't supposed to run the at the same time in any setup.

If you aren't gaming the it should switch to A53, dynamically switching to A57 when needed.

8. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    I agree it is, and in my example most GPU designers such as MSI, Gigabyte, and ASUS increase the card clock by a minimum of 10mhz on their "custom" cards. But from what I have gathered, this is what they mean by custom. I am not saying it's right, but it's just standard marketing from what I have seen over the last 20 years of PC hardware.

9. DespyCL

DespyCL GBAtemp's Official Axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    i just took the opprtunity to poke fun out of those sonic ocs, but oh well no one figured it out :cry:

10. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    tl;dr

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, I was getting at @YourHero's post more than anything, but yeah, OC's are top kek. ;)

Rich keeps perpetuating the 1TFLOP value which is misleading. The X1 only reaches 1TFLOP at 1GHz, and it's at 16-bit precision - the processor only scores 512GFLOPS at FP32, and even less at Nintendo's clock speeds.

DrkBeam likes this.
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Unknown
    Wouldn't it be better to use SDD, which has no moving parts, as opposed to HDD, which does? It would be more stable.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I wasn't questioning that, I was questioning the idea that HDD's are power hogs - they're not. A small M.2 SSD would be the way to go for a mobile device nowadays, I don't know why companies insist on embedded memory. Even a half-size mSATA would be great, and those things are tiny.

14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Have you seen the prices for ssd and m.2? Along with that in the near future we are getting price hikes on this devices, though I can't remember why.
    So those are not cost effective enough to be put into a console without increasing price.
    And yes you could put an hdd in, but it's not a great idea. The original iPod you mentioned is an example of why. Basically every one you can find now needs it's internal hdd replaced. The spinning disks suffer damage when moved while in use, so typically you want to not use them in mobile devices. It's the main reason device makers moved to flash based memory, even though they have less storage space.
    If it were cost effective I'm sure companies would put m.2 drives in their devices
    Edit: Also consoles embed everything to probably reduce hacking as well. Using proprietary stuff makes it harder.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake, Mar 20, 2017
  15. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Ya they should have thrown this in there...
    [​IMG]

16. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Why waste your time on modular units when you can put them on the board?

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I have. Have you?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K...ds=m.2+ssd&dpPl=1&dpID=41-uwWXnXOL&ref=plSrch

128GB from a name brand costs $60, and Nintendo can get them cheaper since they're buying it in bulk - millions of units kind of bulk. They're paying for FLASH memory *already*, it's on the board, the difference would be adding it on an interface instead, that's not that much more expensive. I also wasn't suggesting that they should've used HDD's, I was saying that HDD's are not power hogs, read the actual post.
    There's billions of reasons. It simplifies manufacturing in case you have multiple SKU's with different capacity drives but the same motherboard (Wii U) - it's easier to have one line spitting out mobos and a dude plopping in appropriate sticks than to run two separate lines. They offer expandability for the customer - there's a reason why SD's exist and why people shit on the iPhone for not having an SD port. They simplify repairs in case of memory failure - take one out, put new one in, test, refurbishing complete. In an embedded scenario you have to recycle the whole board. I could go on forever.

18. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I question why they didn't go with UFS flash, must be some reason. Maybe the rest of the bus can't handle it so it would be a waste?

19. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2013
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    We can at least agree that 32GB is pathetic, can't we? I know the Switch has an SD port, but SD's are slower than SSD's or embedded memory *and* they have a capacity cap at this point in time. I don't know why this is a controversial point.
    I showed you a complete product with shipping and packaging for an individual customer and said very clearly that in bulk it would be significantly cheaper, what point are you trying to make? In bulk it would be entirely competitive, the difference between embedded memory and memory on a stick is a piece of PCB and a couple of SMD components.