Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by heartgold, Mar 16, 2017.

1. wolfmankurd

Newcomer wolfmankurd Newbie

United Kingdom
    The market is also littered with fakes (with holograms, sold from "reputable" dealers like amazon). Which will crap out on you.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Pretty much, yes.

3. Mr. Wizard

Member Mr. Wizard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    because there was speed loading test done and the actual switch game cartridge was the biggest bottleneck at 1-3 seconds slower than the SDCard.

Nobody knows why they went with eMMC for internal storage, you could always write an open letter to Nintendo's engineers asking them what prompted that decision.

Are you an engineer? Maybe you could also apply for a job there and show them how it's done.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also according to the test the SDCard is throttled/bottlenecked no matter how fast it is.

Apparently eMMC was fast enough...

Maybe they got a super deal on the eMMC because it was meant for something else and that deal fell through so someone had tons of stock that they needed to get rid of.

On a corporate management level they are going to use the option that makes them/saves them the most money.

People that don't seem to understand why manufacturers sometimes do what they do obviously have zero experience in the upper echelon of management or corporate. At the end of the day, it's about making money, period. Sometimes you have to sacrifice speed or functionality to do so. Sometimes it comes back to bite you in the ass and sometimes it works out just fine.

In the Nintendo's case I'm thinking it will work out just fine for this generation of Switch, as long as they keep the games coming.

4. Maluma

Member Maluma GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That worked out real well with the Wii U didnt it?

5. amoulton

Member amoulton GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Muh polygons

6. DespyCL

Member DespyCL GBAtemp's axolotl

Chile
    Your zelda game is made out of polygons you know p:

7. Mr. Wizard

Canada
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Zelda is made from sunshine, lollipops, rainbows, unicorns and fairies.

DespyCL likes this.
  8. DespyCL

Member DespyCL GBAtemp's axolotl

Chile
    11/10 post quality would like again

but you forgot the grass

Last edited by DespyCL, Mar 21, 2017 at 1:29 AM
  9. Mr. Wizard

Canada
    I've been purchasing that separately... Hmm...

TotalInsanity4 and DespyCL like this.
  10. TheCyberQuake

Member TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

United States
    Technically their current eMMC setup does allow them to change memory sizes easily without a mobo change. Imo Nintendo won't use a standard format like m.2 because they don't want it to be easy to dump. If they did use a standard like that people could potentially just plug it into their computer to get a dump. Where with their proprietary format it makes it a bit more difficult, but not impossible.
    Should they have given more than 32gb? Yes. But imo Nintendo would be insane to use a standard, non-proprietary storage interface, especially given what we could do on 3ds with simple raw read/write access to nand.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  11. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Nintendo Cross. As in cross performance: on the go or on your TV. At least thats what I always thought NX means considering how often X is literally translated to Cross for video games in Japan (other examples include Project X Zone and Monster Hunter XX (pronounced Double Cross).

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  12. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    You clearly don't even know why the WiiU failed...

AtlasFontaine and TheCyberQuake like this.
  13. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Somebody call me when all the console war bull shit ends and this thing gets Android. I'm trying to be a "one box per TV" kinda guy so yeah... I require more from my consoles than just games. Hell, if there was a decent Android emulator for PC I'd get rid of my Fire TV.

14. Molina

Member Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

France
    You don't like bluestacks?

15. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I purchased a ton of controller enabled Android games over the years and not a single Android emulator gets controllers properly. Either the emulator has no controller support or the emulator has that stupid touch area mapping crap. BTW Bluestacks is probably one of the weaker emulators in regards to raw power.

16. Molina

Member Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

France
    Well it's harder to deal with controllers I agree. Last time I could do something was with something like that "Bluetooth controller -> Computer Bluetooth -> magic -> Emulator Bluetooth" but it had a lot of flaws.

Well power depend a lot of your CPU power. My regret with android emulators is that the majority of them are detected as root and some games don't like it.
    What do you play?

17. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    I never had that issue with a Moga pro controller, always worked with the emulators on Android =/

18. monkeyman4412

Member monkeyman4412 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Really? geese pessimistic much. And you realize that zelda has frame drops more because its a open world game right? Witcher 3 and some other open world games have frame drops. And software wise the switch was made with low power in mind. Infact Nvida, said the put 500 man years of effort into the api and design of the switch. Which then makes sense as why breath of the wild can even run. They are adapting the systems api to the extent it uses bare minim of resource usage. And the reason there a frame drops in games like fast rmx. Its because the auto connect feature in the switch is the cause. And a Inside dev said that they are currently fix it. And if you think about it. They couldn't go for the x2 because that chip is only used in cars at the moment.

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:12 AM
    TotalInsanity4 and TheCyberQuake like this.
  19. TheCyberQuake

Member TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

United States
    People complain about battery life, and then complain about console power. Like this is the most power you can get from a portable system while having a usable battery life. I honestly don't know why people seem to expect power like the ps4 and xbone from something much smaller and battery powered. You can't feasibly have much more power in a unit this small without problems with heat and battery life.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  20. Benja81

Member Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    One thing Nintendo has done for quite a few generations, is give the market something that does not already exist. Who needs a 3rd version of what's already there?

Mr. Wizard likes this.