Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by heartgold, Mar 16, 2017.

1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Alternatively, we could go with the "Crooked Politician Theory". He keeps whining about how bad Switch is because he secretly wants one, but he can't let that secret out because reasons.

2. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Man, an entire page of people arguing with a guy who's posts I don't see. Thanks, ignore feature! :yay:

3. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    You could squeeze in a 1.8" drive and the power consumption wouldn't be that bad. Rotational media isn't particularly good for things you hold in your hand, or drop...

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's where SSD comes into play, an HDD would be a very bad idea.

5. Greymane

Greymane Lurking gbatemp pony

Jul 7, 2015
    Netherlands
    In your closet, watching you clop
    No console is up to date with the tech, since the moment they launch they are behind it already, because of how development of consoles works.
    And if you want to go with "see the system for what it is" can be said about the rest to.

6. pikatsu

pikatsu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
  7. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I blocked him as well he acts like Nintendo f*cked his gf or something. Definitely hating on something he doesn't own.

omegasoul6 and the_randomizer like this.
  8. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    My list has grown to 21 members. Forum experience gets upgraded each and every time I block someone. Soon enough I'll reach a perfect Forum Experience score.

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Not magically.. But the difference would have been negligible. That's what I meant.

Of course, I'm more than likely wrong in that aspect. Wouldn't surprise me. Maybe I should label everything "My Thoughts, Ignore"

Last edited by Memoir, Mar 20, 2017
  10. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Maybe It's emmc 5.1 which is almost ssd speed?

11. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    The store is literally broken for a lot of people. It's not just a case of use it once. There's lots of people who have issues with it. Not downloading properly, refusing to update games etc. Trying to get the whole game again instead of updating. Something Microsoft seems to show little interest in addressing as it's been going on for quite a while.

All the play anywhere titles are high end titles aimed at people with gaming rigs, while you are probably right that there are a lot of Xbox owners with steam, I doubt there are a significant amount with an Xbox + a pc capable of playing the games. There just does not seem to be a great crossover of people with a high end rig + a console.

And while it might be great for Xbox owners who get a pc in the future, current PC gamers have shown little interest in moving over to the win10 store, even with the offer of an Xbox game as well. Gears Of War 4 is a fantastic port, has everything going for it, and while there are no sales numbers for pc specifically, judging by the online population vs consoles, it hasn't sold very well on pc.

PC gamers just don't seem interested in giving up a relativly open format (win32), for a highly restricted format (uwp) that prevents lots of applications people use and also restricts modding etc for the promise of "well you can play on xbox". So unless all the Xbox owners decide to switch, the play anywhere program won't make a dent in steam. Considering Steam has over 125M active subs, even if every Xbox owner switched to the win10 store, it still wouldn't make a dent.

Last edited by Armadillo, Mar 20, 2017
  12. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    That's also true. Maybe I should properly read the spec sheet.

13. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Xbox one was in its postion cauuse Microsoft prefer pc over its gaming console since win 10
    Edit: Bad grammar
    Seriously Though BOTW already looks better than some 3A on Xbone.

Last edited by Yil, Mar 20, 2017
  14. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    Take in note it needs to work in handheld mode, i haven't seen a tegra x1 reaching 500 gigaflops in tablet mode

15. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Because the games won't sell, it cost more money and time down porting to arm from x86 then trying to get the game to run stable, and all the other associated stuff and costs with publishing a game on another console that's its not worth it to them financially.

DrkBeam and Molina like this.
  16. Molina

Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

May 14, 2016
    France
    More like the other way around, Microsoft is on the front row when it's about "fuck pc gaming".
    It less obvious now, but who remember the horrible, the treacherous, the ugly,... "Game for Windows LIVE" *dramatic sound*:tpi:<muahahahaha

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    If a program is written properly, "porting" from one CPU architecture to another should be a matter of swapping out the toolchain and that's it. Especially since both ARM and x86 are little-endian.

*some ARM CPUs are big-endian, e.g. the Wii and Wii U "security" CPU, but the vast majority, including those in Android devices, 3DS, and Switch, are little-endian.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  18. Maluma

Maluma GBAtemp Regular

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Same argument can be used against you.You seem really mad not everyone is happy to get stiffed by nintendo.

19. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Something that is apparently ignored by many is that a lot of criticizers actually own a switch and for the most part are happy with it. The flaws within it are just tough to ignore. And a lot of these nintendo "fanboys" know exactly what flaws the switch has. Both just can't stand that discussion of flaws often turn into flaming and in the end becomes a flame war.

20. Molina

Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

May 14, 2016
    France
    I though ARM could support both. Misinformation?

Edit: oops didn't saw the tiny writing under. My bad.

Last edited by Molina, Mar 20, 2017