Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a bizarre capacity, I had no idea those even existed, 256GB seems to be the standard past the 128GB mark, which makes sense.
256 is next in the standard power of 2 progression. Flash memory production is... unreliable as you like though so most times the same dies are used for all chips and things are binned according to how much space they have, and can have available as replacement sectors (flash memory is also unreliable but that is nothing people here don't know). I imagine someone did the maths and as power of 2 is still a fairly beefy progression even if not exponential they could make viable ones at that size but maybe not at the full power of 2 whack. I could be wrong and they might have stitched a couple of dies or sub sections together in some quasi RAID affair, be it for price, reliability or power consumption but it does seem like a fairly logical progression from the binning thing.

Imagine the next Xenoblade Chronicles as a technical marvel that's optimized for PC?
There were some nice texture replacement hacks for dolphin at one point. Game still boring as you like though.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There were some nice texture replacement hacks for dolphin at one point. Game still boring as you like though.
Meh. The need to repeat this shit once and again is out of my understanding.
You know, ketchup is awful and tastes bad, I think so and it is thus an universal fact. Because opinions and preferences are facts, and it seems we need to pass them as facts once and again. /s

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
will definately die a quick death especially when sony/ms release their next gen systems.....
Not really, I mostly game on a PC, I bought the Switch as a portable, as did many other people. A few of my friends purchased it for the bedroom while their PS4/Xbone are in the living room. And some just to play the Nintendo IP games like Mario and Zelda.

Just because you don't see a use for it doesn't mean others won't.

Do you own a Switch? I sure hope not, that way some lucky fucker somewhere was able to purchase the one you would have had, and actually enjoy having it and play it instead of spending days on end here trying to convince people that your opinion is the only way to see it.

These fanboys you are speaking of are just people that own a Switch and are enjoying it for what it is. It seems you are angry that Sony and Microsoft aren't releasing next gen consoles and are just rehashing their old ones to upscale to 4k and now you have to fork out another $400-$500 dollars for one because you can't be satisfied with the "old sub-standard technology" you currently have.

You seem to have deeper issues than just hating the Switch.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Reactions: slingblade1170

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh I've dealt with both extremes of an argument. I probably chose a bad example, but it's what came to mind when thinking of what Nintendo games I would like to see optimized on a PC. Metroid prime and starfox would be another. I really need to start using "for example"

Last edited by s157,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, I mostly game on a PC, I bought the Switch as a portable, as did many other people. A few of my friends purchased it for the bedroom while their PS4/Xbone are in the living room. And some just to play the Nintendo IP games like Mario and Zelda.

Just because you don't see a use for it doesn't mean others won't.

Do you own a Switch? I sure hope not, that way some lucky fucker somewhere was able to purchase the one you would have had, and actually enjoy having it and play it instead of spending days on end here trying to convince people that your opinion is the only way to see it.

These fanboys you are speaking of are just people that own a Switch and are enjoying it for what it is. It seems you are angry that Sony and Microsoft aren't releasing next gen consoles and are just rehashing their old ones to upscale to 4k and now you have to fork out another $400-$500 dollars for one because you can't be satisfied with the "old sub-standard technology" you currently have.

You seem to have deeper issues than just hating the Switch.
I game on pc, but buy Nintendo consoles because they offer experiences I can't get on pc.

Reactions: Mr. Wizard

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like what exactly?
They seem to be one of the few doing N64 style 3d platformers any more (rare seem to have packed it in, spyro and crash seem to be absent, jak and daxter I guess got a remaster a few years back and I don't want to go look at gex, croc and 3d sonic again), though even they are a bit thin on the ground. Most things otherwise tending to be closer to tomb raider than not.

Everything else seems rather more up for debate, unless you especially enjoy Nintendo characters.

D

Deleted User

Please do not assume things.
Yes, I do not have Switch personally, but my uncles kids do. I had my hands on the console for an hour or so. There's tons of popins in Botw, completely same as on my WiiU. Frame rate is practically the same. If you only noticed it once you apparently didn't play longer than getting out of the cave of resurrection.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a doomsayer or hating Nintendo (seems to be popular to hate it nowdays). I love Nintendo, it helped me get through some of the rock bottom shittiest moments of my life. In all honesty If those magical worlds wouldn't pull me in and make me forget about real life I wouldn't be here now and for that I am grateful.
I've been loyal to Nintendo through all generations, both home and handheld but switch so far didn't convince me much.
I very much hope that changes!
I played the entire game through. beat gannon, got all memories... hold up. What country do you live in. this could be a regional issue maybe. US for me. Because I honestly only saw one poppin.

Last edited by ,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people say Nintendo games are more of the same thing, yet complain when a change happens. I say stick to what works.
Nintendo: *releases similar styled Zelda games*
Internet: "all Nintendo does is release the same games"
Nintendo: *changes gameplay style in BOTW*
Internet: "This isn't a true Zelda game"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb