Basic Do's and Do NOT's of vWii modding

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by damysteryman, Dec 17, 2012.

1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    For vWii, you're going to want to do everything listed in this tutorial. To play GameCube games on vWii, follow everything in the "Nintendont" OP

Bonovox40 likes this.

2. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Thanks! One more thing I forgot to ask, I was familiar with this using the original Wii, (stuff put on an SD card) but no i'm using an external HDD for the Wii U's vwii portion. So in that case, where do you put Wii eshop-only games? (like the WAD games that never had a physical disc/ISO release?)

3. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Either inside of an emuNAND or directly on an SD card or thumb drive, supposing you don't want to install them to the console

4. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Oh, so just the same as before basically, but it won't run if placed on an external hdd alongside regular wii ISO files?

And how/where does a wii emuNAND come into being? I don't see any references on the main tut page and haven't heard of it existing outside of the 3DS scene?

5. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I THINK it will, if your USB loader is capable of loading WADs from external media. I've never personally tried it though

Use the search bar and look up "vWii SNEEK"

6. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    I only think I have like 5 wads I want to play, so those can just be tossed a the 2gb SD card i'm using, and installed as a channel in the vwii side without having to mess with emunand, right?

7. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yes, that should work. If you have an original Wii, I'd try installing them on that first, though, as there is absolutely no brick protection on vWii

8. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Oh, so wait a second... should we NOT run wads on vwii? On the softmod link u mentioned for the vwii on Wii U, it has wad managers at the end like wiiflow. These apps aren't safe to run? Is vwii hax only safe for running wii ISO's at this point?

9. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yes, you CAN, but if there's anything wrong with the WAD there's the potential that it could brick the console you try to install it to. Having a Wii with brick protection (BootMii as boot2 or Priiloader) greatly reduces this risk as you can immediately tell if the WAD is corrupted or has a bad banner. If it will safely install to a Wii it should safely install to vWii (with the exception of IOSs and forwarders)

10. MegaSuperab2

MegaSuperab2 Homebrewer, Memer, Acts Like Bedroom Is Basement

May 8, 2016
    United States
    The Earth
    Is it safe to just install HBC? I have no intentions on doing much via Homebrew, probably get Gecko but nothing too much.

Also, probably a stupid (and off-topic) question but speaking of Gecko can you add codes from Gecko itself (no PC)?

11. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    So everything seems fine. The hard drive enclosure seems a bit finicky about the usb plug being seated properly. (what I get for buying a 2nd hand external drive) but when it's connected good, USB loader GX will see the games. (though I refresh with the 'wii' games checkbox selected, every damn time I start USB loader...)

My only issue now is WHY don't the covers show up in the game list? I downloaded all cover images from that one site, and put it on the external hdd AND in a covers folder on the SD card just for good measure.

When I run the wii file manager utility on the PC (when adding a new game to the HDD) it finds the covers just fine, but USB loader gx isn't. Is there a special folder path/cover image naming convention/usb loader setting i'm missing here?

12. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Hm... I don't know. I guess what I would say is delete all the covers you downloaded and try to let USB Loader GX download them directly from GameTDB

13. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    I can't use that method, even though it's probably fool proof. I purposely have the Wii U not setup/connected to Internet, to avoid unwanted updates. (until the IOSU/CFW/similar hack is found/released....someday)

14. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Do you have a Wii or a friend that has a hacked Wii/vWii? You could just plug your thumb drive and SD card into the other one and it would be the same as setting it up on yours, since the files are all stored on the removable media

15. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2006
    How does one go about installing WADs virtually on the vWii? So that they run off the USB instead of being flashed to the NAND.

16. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Google "vWii SNEEK"

17. replicashooter

Jun 16, 2006
    Many thanks

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  18. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    What's wrong with running them off the NAND? Just saving space on the internal hdd?

19. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Considering that the vWii NAND only has 512MB of free space, probably that

20. replicashooter

Jun 16, 2006
    That's correct plus I read that its safer all round to not install things to the NAND.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.