Basic Do's and Do NOT's of vWii modding

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by damysteryman, Dec 17, 2012.

Dec 17, 2012
  1. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    safer because users often do wrong things when installing wads (wrong file, wrong console, wrong version, wrong uninstall, etc.), or over-fill the memory (though, there's a safe guard if that happen to uninstall channels before loading system menu).
    But if the user is careful, then even officially updating or writing a savegame to the NAND can be as dangerous as installing a wad. the console should have a map of bad blocs, but you don't know when a new bloc becomes bad and write fails.

on vWii, what's dangerous is that there's no priiloader or bootmii to load homebrew channel at the start.
    if you install a channel with a bad animated banner script, then your console will not boot anymore ! this is a "banner brick".
    on wii, there's always a way to delete the faulty channel before loading system menu, but not on vWii.
    You can test the animated banner using Sneek, or by installing it on Wii first. (not by testing it in system menu emulators like USBLoaderGX or other banner reader as they are less picky with script errors. the wii crashes while banner emulators have proper checks to prevent crashes)
    sometime is just easier to launch the channel from EmuNAND and don't bother setting up and testing on Sneek.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.

2. baselhamad

Member baselhamad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    can i install Just Dance 2014 DLC wad or any DLC wad for Wii U vWii? will it brick my vWii?

3. baselhamad

Member baselhamad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    can i install Just Dance 2014 DLC WAD on Wii U vWii?

4. ThunderbInazuma

Member ThunderbInazuma GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Cyan, with this new exploit, wouldn't it be possible to fix those Banner Bricks or any other kind of vWii Brick? Just Curious :-)

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    yes, it should be possible to replace anything, except maybe the system menu if you didn't make a proper dump when softmoding the vWii.

Replacing a wrong animated banner (banner brick) with a working one is possible
    replacing an IOS (if you installed a Wii IOS instead of vWii IOS) is maybe possible. Not sure how ancast is handled for IOS.
    but I think with time and user's curiosity, we will get a way to replace anything.

ThunderbInazuma likes this.
  6. ThunderbInazuma

Portugal
    Well, that makes me feeling more safer. Also, I've seen rumors that bricking the vWii could cause your WiiU to stop Updating. Is it true? And if we, with that method could unbrick it, would it be possible to regain the ability to update the WiiU?

7. x65943

Member x65943 Hobby Artist

United States
    Bricking vwii has broken update functions for many users. Usually a user installed a wii only ios for his/her vwii. If you could install the correct ios from the wiiu side that would fix the issue.

8. ThunderbInazuma

Portugal
    Well, thanks for your explanation. Now I can feel more safety for hacking the vWii

9. pLaYeR^^

Member pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Fan

Austria
    Someone know how to delete software mod of the vWii?

10. TotalInsanity4

Member TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    Why do you want to?

11. pLaYeR^^

Member pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Fan

Austria
    Why you ask me why i want to do this? Useless post for me and also for you. So you know a methode or not?

12. TotalInsanity4

Member TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    It's a legitimate question because you can't actually remove all traces of hacking, but depending on why you'd want to just deleting the Homebrew Channel and removing all cIOSs (if installed) works just as well. The reason I wanted to know is because most people typically ask this if they want to send it in to Nintendo for repair, to which I would say exactly what I just said in the last sentence because it would appear as though they don't actually check if the OS has been exploited, they only do basic tests to see if it boots or not

In the time it took you to sass me you could have easily just answered my question

CreeperMario likes this.
  13. ArugulaZ

Member ArugulaZ GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Do you have to use a 4GB card formatted as FAT16? I've been using a 32GB card formatted as FAT32, and while some apps work fine, others do not. Genesis GX and mGBA work great, but O2EM and UAE spit out DSI errors and lock up my system.

14. endoverend

Contributor endoverend AKA zooksman

pip
    United States
    The issue there is that some very old apps will probably only work with SD and not SDHC cards. The formatting should be fine.

ArugulaZ likes this.
  15. ArugulaZ

Member ArugulaZ GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The Amiga emulator was updated fairly frequently, and I can't get that working either. I'm not really sure what's going on... I think I'm just going to take a break from it before I blow my top. Thanks, though! The Odyssey2 emulator won't work for precisely the reason you described.

16. WiisleyU

Newcomer WiisleyU Advanced Member

Brazil
    I fear to install WADs on vWii, what wad manager or wads you recommend to safely install on vWii? I've only installed the "Blue HBC Channel 16:9".

17. Masse

Newcomer Masse Newbie

Sweden
    Hi everyone!

Let's see if someone can help me with this? Recently I installed the Homebrew Channel on my vWii, following the excellent Definitive vWii Hacking Guide here on gbatemp.net. Everything was just fine (I think!) until I messed with Save Game Manager GX (the latest vWii version). I tried to transfer MII from my old wii to vWii, and now my Wii Channel is corrupt. The vWii homescreen say "unable to load Mii Channel data..." and when I start the Mii Channel it asks me to "The save data is corrupted. Format save data? (Choosing yes will erase all saved data...)". I can still run games from external HDD, but I've got no Miis, just guest-Miis.
    I did a backup in an early stage, so I'll have saved all IOS, untouched, on the SD card and NAND as well.
    Is there any easy way to repair the Mii Channel? I dare not press the yes button, or do I have to reinstall all the IOS?

My Wii U is 5.5.1E Kexploit
    vWii 4.3E

Sincerely Masse

18. endoverend

pip
    United States
    I recommend YAWMM, it's known to work the best on vWii.

There's no way you'll get around formatting the Mii Channel data. When it asks you to format, all it's formatting is the Miis stored in the Mii Channel, not any other save data. So you'll lose the Miis that were there, but you can use this guide to extract them from your NAND backup you took earlier. I wouldn't recommend trying to transfer any from your old Wii.

WiisleyU likes this.
  19. Masse

Newcomer Masse Newbie

Sweden
    Thank you for taking time to answer my question! So if I understand you right I can format my Mii Channel and start over just making new Miis...

20. endoverend

pip
    United States
    Yes, or you can later extract the old ones from your NAND backup.