"Adventurous" Women Needed for Neanderthal Cloning

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, like my edit of the post you quoted noted: mass of the brain relative to body size is whats most important. An elephant has a larger brain than humans, but its such a smaller percentage of their overall body than humans that they aren't smarter or even nearly as smart. Its weird how it all works. Anyway, Neanderthals were shorter than homo sapiens, but also stronger, so overall body mass might be a wash comparatively, which as far as my understand goes means that if Neanderthals had survived, I believe they would have grown to be a smarter species than humans.

Absolute breeze. If you put a human brain inside a dinosaur it would still be a human brain. If you took it out and put it in a jar so it now makes 100% of its total biomass then that doesn't mean it becomes hyperintelligent. Body size has nothing to do with intelligence whatsoever, it's the ratio between the prefrontal cortex and the brain size.

NB: That's not to say that there isn't correlation between brain size and body size, but that's correlation, not causation.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolute breeze. If you put a human brain inside a dinosaur it would still be a human brain. If you took it out and put it in a jar so it now makes 100% of its total biomass then that doesn't mean it becomes hyperintelligent. Body size has nothing to do with intelligence whatsoever, it's the ratio between the prefrontal cortex and the brain size.

NB: That's not to say that there isn't correlation between brain size and body size, but that's correlation, not causation.

LOL that's exactly what I'm saying. 2 Dinosaurs of the same type and size stand next to each other. The dinosaur with the bigger brain will undoubtedly be more intelligent. Doing a lobotomy is not at all what I'm talking about. It still has to be a brain that belongs to that creature to even work the way I'm explaining. So say a dinosaur has a brain that's a bigger part of its total body than the ratio of a typical human brain to that human body (never happened, dinosaurs statistically had very small brains for their body size), that dinosaur could in theory be more intelligent than a human.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL that's exactly what I'm saying. 2 Dinosaurs of the same type and size stand next to each other. The dinosaur with the bigger brain will undoubtedly be more intelligent. Doing a lobotomy is not at all what I'm talking about. It still has to be a brain that belongs to that creature to even work the way I'm explaining. So say a dinosaur has a brain that's a bigger part of its total body than the ratio of a typical human brain to that human body (never happened, dinosaurs statistically had very small brains for their body size), that dinosaur could in theory be more intelligent than a human.

Yes, but that's only correlated. That's not the reason. The reason is the ratio of the brain to the prefrontal cortex. It just happens that that also correlates with body mass, but the body mass is not at all the reason why.

It'd be like trying to find out how many condoms of each size are sold by looking at people's feet.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
TBH I question the existance of neanderthals entirely, For all we know, that corpse could have been merely an abnormality such as a infant with two brains...:|(This happened recently actually, it was two babys sharing a body, the skull was enlarged in the back)
There's enough fossil evidence with the same bone structure that them all being birth abnormalities is highly unlikely. Since then (and judging by this cloning idea) we've managed to sequence the genome which cements them as a different subspecies from us.

And as for the actual cloning. It's never going to happen. It's a great idea, don't get me wrong, but a live birth just isn't going to happen for ethical reasons. Furthest this will get is stemcell or fetal research if they're lucky

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is ridiculous. It's kind of like reviving a frozen human in the future. It will never happen. Who comes up with these crazy ideas anyway?
These people should be burned at the stake.

Are we on a troll today or was that serious?

"It will never happen" - I try not to bet against the progress of science, it is rarely a safe/wise bet.

"Who comes up with these crazy ideas anyway?" - usually scientists wanting a glimpse into the evolutionary history of man which has all sorts of interesting implications for problems new and old.

Re ethics.
Ethics may get in the way of much of the world but there are parts of the world where such things are less troubling, granted they tend to be somewhat less advanced but the barriers to entry here are getting fewer and fewer all the time.

Reactions: Gahars and KingVamp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c