Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladeforce said:
and also highlighting the fact both sony and microsoft fanboys have zero humor

and also highlighting the fact that nintendo fanboys are complete dipshits who know nothing. Seriously, can you formulate a real rebuttal or do you not have anything against actual facts that make sense?

As for "failed formats", if you're bringing up Sony's formats outside of the gaming industry, why are you bringing that up? It's unrelated to Sony's stake in the handheld market, which is what this whole debate is about. And Sony has used the best format time and time again on its home consoles. The PSX used the CD, the PS2 used the DVD, and the PS3 uses Bluray, all of which are very successful.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Bladeforce said:
As the topic says Sony have been pummelled in the handheld market and now nintendo's direct competitor is Apple I think Sony should sling their hook and get out of the handheld business as they have done an epic fail with the PSP

Sony's approach is SO DIFFERENT to Nintendo's approach to portable gaming that I think there is SO MUCH room for both of them to compete.

1) Sony has a true widescreen (not 2 separate screens). Superior for movie-watching, to say the least. Superior for so many games, not so much for others that Nintendo is better at (same can be said for touch screen versus not).
2) Sony has better graphics AND sound - there is no question here. Sony also plays MP3 and AAC sound and MP4 movies out-of-the-box by default and sounds and looks GREAT doing it. Nintendo has virtually no good racing games. Sony does. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Anyway, the Sony is the multimedia master in the price range. DSi changes things little here (though it has some fun tools for sound and image manipulation). It is simply a poor second with graphics and comfort too, I might add.
3) The 3DS's killer feature is 3D and an analogue controller has been added but we'll see how it goes.
4) Nintendo DS has touch and benefits from it when games are designed for it in mind... just like Sony benefits from games designed to take advantage of that lush screen and better graphics on the PSP.

Both have amazingly talented developers making good games for their respective systems. Why not get both?

It amazes me that people don't see the good and less-than-good bits in both portables and enjoy them both but instead claim one as victor and the other as a failure. Who cares about unit sales - what does it offer to YOU? Why can't there be two or three competitors fighting it out?

They are both great approaches to portable gaming and both offer something to the gaming and non-gaming markets (videos and audio watching) and general web browsing...

I can go on forever with comparisons but I doubt Sony is going anywhere. I believe they are in it for the long haul and will blow our minds with their next PSP (PSP 2?), whenever they're ready to announce it...

Sony aren't just going to give up. Portable gaming is key to their strategy.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Bladeforce said:
Cd wasnt a sony format, Phillips and Sony simply licensed much of their claim from technology that was invented 20 years earlier.

No. Philips and Sony co-developed the format and have made kajillions in royalties for creating the most successful music format on earth.

MiniDisc was first released in late 1991 (most list it as 1992, but they are wrong), and not 1993. It was rush-released to compete with Philips Digital Compact Cassette in late 1991, too. Other sources that have the date wrong online are wrong. I was there when it happened and remember these two formats fighting it out, so to speak. ATRAC was MiniDisc's audio compression format, it obviously was released when MiniDisc was, not years after it was released.

Bladeforce said:
MemoryStick 1998, Universal Media Disc 2005.
UMD is PSP's format...so it's not worth mentioning it with these other formats. Memory Stick itself has many versions. I haven't bothered to check if those dates are right but I know the others are wrong.

Bladeforce said:
The only reason Blue ray has took hold is because sony used their billions to buy studios out.
If only it were that simple...

QUOTE(Bladeforce @ Jul 20 2010, 10:07 AM) Ourselves as consumers will now face endless players that will not perform correctly because of "new" discs. I beleive there has been one already announced?

Great! It's not like the existing Blu-Ray format is going anywhere. For those that can use the new disc capacity, let them enjoy the fruits of progress to make their lives better at some point in the future (don't worry, this will be priced sky high for some years to even bother worrying about). For everyone else, spend less and get a regular Blu-Ray drive
smile.gif
What's not to like here? Nobody is forcing you into obsolescence.

QUOTE(Bladeforce @ Jul 20 2010, 10:07 AM)
the start of many to come. the ironic thing is toshiba got out of the war with blu ray so consumers could have an easier life with HD without the confusion but as usual we get screwed with the "winner" being a format propelled by sony that was never going to be a solid format ie like dvd where we could buy any disc and play it without worrying about what f**king player it will play on!

Toshiba gave up after it was clear Blu-Ray was exceeding their sales and support by quite a bit (and investing additional funds in the 'war' was not considered a good business choice), not through some goodwill for the benefit of customers.

You mentioned DVD was a solid format, compatibility wise. Did you forget DVD had plenty of compatibility issues as it 'grew up' and still does - especially with recorders. So did CD as it was enhanced through the years from CD-i from Philips, countless gaming machines and so forth that used completely incompatible CDs, low-speed to higher speed reading and writing, CD-G, Enhanced CD from Sony, CD-Text, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-R, CD-RW. DVD had DVD-R and +R formats and rewritable speeds in the mix, and from DVD-RAM (which is a superb format) using cartridges and without cartridges and finalising and format differences (including UDF) between different recorders and so on...

Compatibility issues are the price you pay for progress - especially with formats where the patents are owned by various companies all looking for a bigger piece of the royalty pie.

ArchyTaichou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me if there is no war, there is no variety, and if there is no variety ... well lets just say that having only the DS on the market would suck, of course it would suck even more if there was only the PSP on the market
tongue.gif

Even though I own both consoles, I always was and always will be on Nintendo's side. At the same time I totally agree with Guild McCommunist when he said that all the companies are all in for the money, hell that's why I have absolutely nothing against piracy, not that I am not "doing it" myself.
In reply to the title of this thread I say NO. I have, we all have seen what SONY is capable of (this is not a compliment), besides that, do keep in mind that SONY has a lot more sources of money than both Nintendo and Microsoft, from the mix of those two it will surely result in a new console from SONY.
SONY copying Nintendo with the 3D thing, now that really bugs me very much, because we will see many of the same game on both consoles, some that have something that the other doesn't, you know what I mean (Batman Arkham Asylum Joker playable on PS3 only).
In the end I just wish that SONY will come up with something new AND different.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ArchyTaichou said:
SONY copying Nintendo with the 3D thing, now that really bugs me very much, because we will see many of the same game on both consoles, some that have something that the other doesn't, you know what I mean (Batman Arkham Asylum Joker playable on PS3 only).
how did they copy nintendo with 3d
#1 they announced they were doing this way before nintendo even said anything about a 3d ds, almost a year ago I think
#2 its for the ps3 not the psp2 which hasnt even been announced yet
#3 they are both using different technologies
#4 arkham asyham was just a bonus for the ps3 version, why that fits into this argument I have no idea
game companies do it all the time

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
ArchyTaichou said:
#1 they announced they were doing this way before nintendo even said anything about a 3d ds, almost a year ago I think
#4 arkham asyham 3d goty edition has nothing to do with sony, the creators of the game decided to do that
I suppose if someone was serious about accusing Sony of copying the 3D of Nintendo then one could bring up the Virtual Boy console.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
giratina16 said:
Joe88 said:
ArchyTaichou said:
#4 arkham asyham 3d goty edition has nothing to do with sony, the creators of the game decided to do that
I suppose if someone was serious about accusing Sony of copying the 3D of Nintendo then one could bring up the Virtual Boy console.
not only virtual boy but around, nintendo has said that they been working on 3D with the gba & gamecube & have demos, they even made a 3d screen for gba sp & a 3d luigis mansion.

ArchyTaichou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
ArchyTaichou said:
#4 arkham asyham was just a bonus for the ps3 version, why that fits into this argument I have no idea
game companies do it all the time
From what you say I understand that you understood that I am kind of "comparing" the 3DS to the PS3. NO, I am not talking about that, I am talking about the future handheld from SONY.
Many are talking lately about SONY doing what he does best in the gaming industry lately, about implementing 3D, just like Ninty, in his future handheld console.
That would certainly not bother me if SONY would make you buy some special 3D glasses along with the console, HELL I would love to have a good laugh at my SONY fanboy mates. Just imagining it makes my tummy tickle ...
tongue.gif

Now why did I bought a home console game in a portable gaming thread? well just think about it, why wouldn't two portable consoles, with the approximately the same power and the same technology (I am pretty sure SONY is going to implement both 3D and touchscreen in his new handheld) , why wouldn't they have the same games. Thats what bugs me most, seeing a "better" "enchanted" "whatever" version ... on a different consoles. I recall only one example in the portable industry, GTA China Town Wars (yes I know it's a sequel, but still) I got sooo attached to the DS version of the game, and when I found out that the sequel was on the PSP it pissed me off (thats why I bought one, for MHU too).

B

Bladeforce

OP
All Sony And Microsoft do is copy, they have never invented anything (the cd was invented 20 years earlier by James Russell, Sony and Phillips just ripped it off) even windows was taken from a bin by bill gates and ironically made into the greatest screensaver of a bin that could be called an OS.

Back to the topic. Someone said what has all this mentioning of other formats got to do with portable gaming by Sony? Mainly because what they do in every other market as well as gaming. They dictate and HATE being dictated to. I'm behind Microsoft for jumping this Blu Ray gen and going digital its the logical way to go in the future.
Sony became so dictatorial with both successes of the ps1 and ps2 they thought they wee untouchable, HOW WRONG THERE ARE!
Same would happen to Microsoft in everything they touch, it's just a shame that it took massive fines from the EU to highlight what wrongs microsoft are doing to businesses that have invented things.
People say that the greatest advantage that Nintendo have over other gaming companies is their knowledge of games, whlist very true I must say that while it competes with these other 2 companies the greatest advantage they have seems to be out of their hands and quite simply down to such bad reputations of the other 2. It's quite sad how they haven't seen this and try to rectify it. What with Sony and their rootkits and Microsoft and their dictatorship Nintendo is onto a winner without even trying!

Oh and don't get me onto buying off companies for exclusives, that just stinks of what Sony love to do AND also did to become the winners in the HD war. Of course it was denied by another poster earlier but really what can one expect when you succumb to the hype?

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
fedgerama said:
The funny thing is, instead of slowly and quietly dropping off support for the PSP like they should, they just made a slew of new commercials trying to hype it up (the ones with the punky little kid giving advice). The PSP had the graphics, but the DS had the games, and it looks like the 3DS is about to take both of those titles. Unless they release a new PSP soon (and not a stupid download-only version like the Go), I don't think they'll be in the handheld market for long.

Lol Go failed worst then GBA Micro did. I didn't really see the problem with GBA Micro though, TBH, I think it was just that no one wanted to buy it since there was a DS. I bet if the sales were good enough, there would've been an official Mother 3 translation =\. I mean, look at Paper Mario 64 - that worked.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Bladeforce said:
All Sony And Microsoft do is copy, they have never invented anything (the cd was invented 20 years earlier by James Russell, Sony and Phillips just ripped it off) even windows was taken from a bin by bill gates and ironically made into the greatest screensaver of a bin that could be called an OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Russell

Overly simplistic conclusion.

He did NOT invent the CD, just like he did NOT invent the DVD. That's like saying one patent holder involved in the CD invented the whole format, which includes error correction and detection methodology, specs on the size and materials used in making the disc, mass production refinements, laser diodes, etc. He may have played a big part in helping kick-start optical recording and playback, though, right?

Nobody ripped anyone off here. It's called progress. Many great minds go into the invention and refining of a product and James Russell did NOT invent the CD, though his contributions are very important, just as others are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_recording

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Bladeforce said:
Simplistic?? I would say (as usual) blinded by the Sony fanboyism.

Yes, simplistic. Because you are referring to a generic "compact disc" versus THE Compact Disc.
Two totally different products with totally different specifications!

Sony partnered with Philips and Philips needed Sony's expertise with ICs to make their product possible. Before they teamed up no such product existed. Similar products may have, but no such Compact Disc (of the type we use today) existed. Therefore THESE two invented it and they made it a world standard and they got paid handsomely for doing the work...

Of course many patents are involved here, but the bulk of them are from Philips and Sony. Philips (with Sony) invented the Compact Disc and went on to refine STANDARDS that allowed use in computers and beyond. Nobody else did.

Your accusation that Sony and Philips just stole something made in the sixties without putting in the hard yards developing the format is laughable.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I always knew this day would come...
Everyone get prepared for the Iphone with 3D
Nintendo is getting BIGGER
It's time they compete with bigger companies.
Rather than a crappy TV company.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:

I hope you realize Microsoft is a bigger company than Apple. Apple has all it's popular iPods and iPads and iPhones but when it comes to software Microsoft still steamrolls them. Something like 75% of computers use a Windows OS. Apple doesn't even have the other 25% (part of that goes to Linux). Saying Microsoft is a small company they compete with is like saying that Standard Oil was a "small company".

And for fuck's sake, hypocrisy thy name is you. You call everyone "blind Sony fanboys" or "blind Microsoft fanboys" while you're obviously a raging Nintendo fanboy. Every post spews Nintendo love and "NINTENDO IS THE BEST GAMING COMPANY EVER" and the typical jargon you'd see from the talking points of any Ninty fanboy. I mean for Christ's sake I've put more hours into my Wii than my 360, my DS than my PSP and I can still admit faults when I see them. You're just only focusing on Sony and Microsoft's negatives and only seeing Nintendo's positives. Sony and Microsoft have plenty of pros and Nintendo plenty of cons. You're terribly blind and misguided. I only defend Microsoft and Sony because misguided criticism is given.

People bring this up all the time. "OH SONY IS A COPYCAT" and this and that. In the end, does it matter if they're unoriginal if they make a good product? The Move is a dead ringer for a Wiimote but it still looks like it tracks movements great and has a good starting library of games getting support for it. If Microsoft did just make Windows from someone else's work then they just so happened to stumble upon the most successful OS in existence. Everybody copies things from each other in the industry. It's something you have to learn.

You're severely misguided and only insist on unnecessary hate and blind love. Just grow up or get out.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Guild McCommunist said:
(...)
In the end, does it matter if they're unoriginal if they make a good product?
(...)

This. It is al really resumed into this.
Duke Nuken "copied" Doom, so what? DN is awesome, and so is Doom.
End of topic (with a bit of outside-of-the-box thinking). >-p

B

Bladeforce

OP
toguro_max said:
Guild McCommunist said:
(...)
(...)

This. It is al really resumed into this.
Duke Nuken "copied" Doom, so what? DN is awesome, and so is Doom.
End of topic (with a bit of outside-of-the-box thinking). >-p

Ah both games made by fantastic companies not by dictatorships that would buy them out and shut them down

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
FireGrey said:

I hope you realize Microsoft is a bigger company than Apple. Apple has all it's popular iPods and iPads and iPhones but when it comes to software Microsoft still steamrolls them. Something like 75% of computers use a Windows OS. Apple doesn't even have the other 25% (part of that goes to Linux). Saying Microsoft is a small company they compete with is like saying that Standard Oil was a "small company".

And for fuck's sake, hypocrisy thy name is you. You call everyone "blind Sony fanboys" or "blind Microsoft fanboys" while you're obviously a raging Nintendo fanboy. Every post spews Nintendo love and "NINTENDO IS THE BEST GAMING COMPANY EVER" and the typical jargon you'd see from the talking points of any Ninty fanboy. I mean for Christ's sake I've put more hours into my Wii than my 360, my DS than my PSP and I can still admit faults when I see them. You're just only focusing on Sony and Microsoft's negatives and only seeing Nintendo's positives. Sony and Microsoft have plenty of pros and Nintendo plenty of cons. You're terribly blind and misguided. I only defend Microsoft and Sony because misguided criticism is given.

People bring this up all the time. "OH SONY IS A COPYCAT" and this and that. In the end, does it matter if they're unoriginal if they make a good product? The Move is a dead ringer for a Wiimote but it still looks like it tracks movements great and has a good starting library of games getting support for it. If Microsoft did just make Windows from someone else's work then they just so happened to stumble upon the most successful OS in existence. Everybody copies things from each other in the industry. It's something you have to learn.

You're severely misguided and only insist on unnecessary hate and blind love. Just grow up or get out.
I think he was talking about the portable wars. Also he said nothing about microsoft so what was that about. About Sony copying the Wii remote was kind of unexpected and desperate move for sony though, as how much they made fun of the nintendo wii but still ended up copying it. It's kind of like throwing the white flag with what they did. But I understand on what your getting at with the copying, I mean if something is successful then hey why not. I mean if no one copied each other, then we would still be playing games at the arcade still.

To Firegray though, Nintendo was one of the first gaming home console. So what do you mean it's getting big, they have been BIG. Also about Sony, they made the ps2, the most awesome gaming consoles ever imo. Also, how does their TVs suck, i actually like them, just a little overpriced though. I also think that Sony is actually bigger than apple. Apple was originally a computer/mp3 player company. I see no reason why they should be going against each other as they are different companies. That's like saying Nike should go against MC'Donalds. The games on the itouch/iphone are just mini games, not actually a full story type of game. I just hope that Microsoft doesn't join the portable wars, if they do then their will be a whole bunch of Microsoft fanboys saying,"Hardcore/pro gamers on get the x-box portable(or what ever the hell you want to call it.), and everyone else just sucks". Just like they are saying now with the ps3 and x-box 360 about CoD.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
tbf i think the 3 companies should just come together to make one big mass production cheese factory.

mmmmm....
tpi.gif

But there are so many gbatemp threads now after the 3DS that are slewed with 'Sony copied Nintendo', 'Microsoft copied Nintendo', 'Walt Disney copied Nintendo' that reading all these lengthy fanboy extinguisher posts makes me laugh a little because A LOT of people here seem to be spewing garbage outta their keyboards and onto the internet.

I have to admit the majority of Bladeforce's posts made me facepalm...BUT

QUOTE(...)
(...)

Sums it all up. Now for a cheese sandwich.
moogle.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it