Hacking 3DS will spell the end of portable gaming for Sony

• Thread starter Bladeforce
  • Start date
  • Views 23,399
  • Replies 168
B

Bladeforce

OP
As the topic says Sony have been pummelled in the handheld market and now nintendo's direct competitor is Apple I think Sony should sling their hook and get out of the handheld business as they have done an epic fail with the PSP

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladeforce said:
As the topic says Sony have been pummelled in the handheld market and now nintendo's direct competitor is Apple I think Sony should sling their hook and get out of the handheld business as they have done an epic fail with the PSP
This sounds like Nintendo Fanboyism. The PSP is a great console, and what killed it in my opinion was piracy. I will have to agree with you though. If Sony cannot innovate with their new console, they should not even bother. Nintendo has been in the handheld business for so long, I was surprised when Sony took the chunk of the market that they did.

Apple isn't a competitor in the handheld gaming market. They make smart phones, and nice music devices with the added perk of DLC made by game developers, and regular people.

borka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Sterl500 said:
The PSP is a great console, and what killed it in my opinion was piracy.

I just can't agree - piracy on the DS is much simplier - just buy flashcard, and... that's all. No pandora boxes, batteries, etc.

dreary79

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
This sounds like Nintendo Fanboyism. The PSP is a great console, and what killed it in my opinion was piracy. This sounds like Sony "Fanboyism". Sony has blamed the PSP's failures on piracy from the start. But how can that be with so many Wii and DS pirates out there? Or is the Wii and DS failing as well?

QUOTE(Sterl500 @ Jul 16 2010, 06:30 PM) Apple isn't a competitor in the handheld gaming market. They make smart phones, and nice music devices with the added perk of DLC made by game developers, and regular people.
Where have you been? Nintendo has come out and said that Apple is their biggest threat.

fedgerama

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The funny thing is, instead of slowly and quietly dropping off support for the PSP like they should, they just made a slew of new commercials trying to hype it up (the ones with the punky little kid giving advice). The PSP had the graphics, but the DS had the games, and it looks like the 3DS is about to take both of those titles. Unless they release a new PSP soon (and not a stupid download-only version like the Go), I don't think they'll be in the handheld market for long.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony will undoubtedly release a new handheld. Maybe not anytime soon but at one point they will or else their competitors will get all the sales. And Sony doesn't want that, do they?

MaK11-12

Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
Piracy on PSP is hard, so it is't much of a problem unlike with Nintendo and Apple. YET they are the ones progressing. Maybe piracy is what people want? Anyway, PSPgo isn't spectacular.
So unless Sony pull off a Vaio PSP sized, there going down.
On that note, i hope Microsoft doesn't join the hand held war. Can you imagine what they'll make?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
fedgerama said:
The funny thing is, instead of slowly and quietly dropping off support for the PSP like they should, they just made a slew of new commercials trying to hype it up (the ones with the punky little kid giving advice). The PSP had the graphics, but the DS had the games, and it looks like the 3DS is about to take both of those titles. Unless they release a new PSP soon (and not a stupid download-only version like the Go), I don't think they'll be in the handheld market for long.
QFT

B

Bladeforce

OP
MaK11-12 said:
Piracy on PSP is hard, so it is't much of a problem unlike with Nintendo and Apple. YET they are the ones progressing. Maybe piracy is what people want? Anyway, PSPgo isn't spectacular.
So unless Sony pull off a Vaio PSP sized, there going down.
On that note, i hope Microsoft doesn't join the hand held war. Can you imagine what they'll make?

I am not responding to somebody who thinks i made up the nintendo and apple as competitors if you dont read the news and what nintendo have already said. As for the quote above I shudder to think what kind of crap microsoft would push into the handheld market considering their abysmal attempts at the phones

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dreary79 said:
Sterl500 said:
This sounds like Nintendo Fanboyism. The PSP is a great console, and what killed it in my opinion was piracy. This sounds like Sony "Fanboyism". Sony has blamed the PSP's failures on piracy from the start. But how can that be with so many Wii and DS pirates out there? Or is the Wii and DS failing as well?

QUOTE(Sterl500 @ Jul 16 2010, 06:30 PM) Apple isn't a competitor in the handheld gaming market. They make smart phones, and nice music devices with the added perk of DLC made by game developers, and regular people.
Where have you been? Nintendo has come out and said that Apple is their biggest threat.
I have all three of those handhelds, and I can tell you right now I am one of the most open minded people when it comes to game systems. I can take pics if you want.

PSP: I like it because when hacked it does exactly what I want with a handheld. Which is why I will be getting an open Pandora. @ the people that think pirating isn't easy on the PSP: If you buy the 1000, it's cake. I downloaded the stuff, and did it in 10 minutes. Other revisions not so much.

DS: It has a large library of games, unfortunently 3/5 of this library is Shovelware. Piracy on the DS is simple as well, and it is easier than PSP.

iPhone/touch: Anyone who says this is a gaming console is crazy. Zero native button control, flooded with shovel ware, and games that have half way intuitive touch controls. I found the only good games are the simple puzzle style games, tower defense games, arcade games, board games, and a few RPG games. The place Apple shines is useful third party apps, that have some sort of function in the real world: eg. GPS, Calculators, Restaurant finders, planners, etc. This is why the aren't even close to taking a market share in a dedicated game console market.

I am positive I am no fanboy, and so far I have liked Nintendo the best. Kay Thanks Bye.

D

Deleted User

OP
Well, Kaz and Sony have copied about 85% of all Nintendo technology throughout the years. I mean the 'Magic Wand' that looks like a dild* was a cheap direct ripoff of the Wii Remote - that failed miserably. If this is the end for portable gaming for Sony, great! Nintendo can go on without the constant fear of being copied.

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
I'm generally a Sony fanboy, but when Go came out, I facepalmed. It was as if the company whose side I had taken literally waved a while flag. That was the actual reason I bought a DSL, to compare and contrast both consoles.

Odd results - DS has lots of games I like, and piracy is as easy as buying a flash card and frequently updating it. The PSP has a larger library of games I like, but the methods to pirate are...dying. Plus, it only unlocks its true potential after you hack it, which makes me wonder why the hell Sony don't sell unlocked PSPs themselves.

It's a fact - the PSP isn't dying, Sony are killing it in their attempts to match Nintendo's sales of the DS.

D

Deleted User

OP
The Go? That was disgusting. I bought one, and then sold it exactly 33 minutes and 34 seconds later on eBay. It went for exactly £40 less than I bought it for. This was directly after its launch.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In hand held gaming I'm on Nintendo's side. Sony just can't seem to beat Nintendo in the hand held wars. I don't think they'll give up, the psp didn't do THAT badly. If Microsoft were to enter the hand held wars, I can't even imagine the chaos it would bring.

B

Bladeforce

OP
I for one wouldnt trust microsoft with their heat issues in a handheld. Then there's just plain bad designing after all the 360 it is the worst looking console ever. Then there's just Microsoft's bad reputation holding them back. Not only that Microsoft would just be another Sony in the handheld market and copy Nintendo they wouldnt provide anything new. Having said this they havent done anything new in the main race. Well ok i'll be fair they have made online gaming on the consoles better but even that has been around on PC's for years

PikaPerson01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a Nintendo fan and honestly, people who say the PSP is "difficult" to pirate games for is completely out of their mind.

1000 was simple out of the box stuff. 2000 was eventually hacked with Chikhen (I think...). No clue about 3000 or Go yet. Simple enough truth is you didn't even NEED a flashcard to pirate for the PSP, just the Memory Stick.

That being said, the fact Sony is relying on 5 year old hardware to push them through is ludicrous.

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Bladeforce said:
I am not responding to somebody who thinks i made up the nintendo and apple as competitors if you dont read the news and what nintendo have already said.
Um...can you please post your source
unsure.gif
.tnx
And about Sony's handheld,the PSP, I really doubt Sony will end its portable gaming since it's through competition they can innovate and bring us a better and new handheld.What differs between the two consoles is they approach on different aspects on gaming.The DS focuses on player interaction on the game(I mean Duh..Touchscreen) while sony focuses on game quality.They are both good handhelds in different kind of way.It's through this competion that gaming companies can give us better entertainment in the handheld industry.So for sony,they will come up with a con, maybe not to soon though.
rolleyes.gif

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Before the 3DS all of Nintendo portables were underpowered in favor of longer battery so the other systems offered more powerful systems but shorter batteries, this time Nintendo has a system that is both powerful and with good battery, there really isn't any need for another portable unless it's some sort of media player or something different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.