Gaming Does anybody kinda feel that 3DS is like PSP2 in some way?

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Vita is basically PSP2, but 3DS can be a PSP2 in it's own way, in addition to be a DS2. I'll elaborate.

Recently I've been playing 7th Dragon III: Code VFD. A sequel to PSP's 7th Dragon 2020 and 7th Dragon 2020-II, being a direct continuation story wise. What a weird and sudden shift of consoles, not the first for the series, but still. I think they did it, so they could use the same engine and some assets, cause moving to vita would blow out the budget, cause there they would have to start from scratch.

I think the same happened to Monster Hunter, and there are some cases of PSP to 3DS ports, like CRUSH or Gurumin. Also cancelled, Resident Evil Portable apparently was reborn as REvelation. Makes sense since hardware capabilities, screen resolution and even control methods are approximately the same. Only two shifts and only one stick, or rather some sliding pad thingie.

Reactions: Thee_Stranger

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, no. The Vita is the successor of PSP and some still think it's called "PSP2" I guess they never got used to its actual name.

Vita 2k resembles a lot the PSP with its plastic shell.

YTSou7n.jpg

While the 2k model looks like a downgrade, it has a Micro USB port to charge so that's a lot more convenient than the proprietary port found on the 1k model. It generally isn't an issue for 1k users (unless they use a crappy cable that falls apart and may be hard to connect).

There is a Micro USB adapter for the 1k model:

717z9wy78kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B013SEYNXY/

That or hardmod and add a USB-C port (even better!).

Reactions: SylverReZ

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In technical terms, obviously not. But I hear what you're saying, OP. In terms of hardware, the 3DS was basically Nintendo's PSP. Very comparable as far as graphical capability. Control layout very similar, what with the boneheaded and shortsighted decision to not include dual analog out of the box... rendering it a 3D console that kind of sucks at playing 3D games (although Nintendo brought a couple inelegant solutions to the table for that problem with the 3DS, while Sony never did anything to correct that with the PSP, to my knowledge).

The 3DS also enjoyed a continuation of a lot of the flagship, Japanese-centric 3D titles & JRPG's that were previously the PSP's bread & butter. The kind of stuff that was simply not achievable on the original DS. The Monster Hunter franchise, in particular, was absolutely huge in Japan, and is basically what kept the PSP afloat and allowed it to enjoy some moderate success, despite the NDS handing it its ass overall.

All that stuff migrating away from Sony and over to Nintendo with the 3DS is a big reason why the Vita was pretty much Dead on Arrival, in the water, right from the jump.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto