3DS firmware 11.8 potentially brings the Switch's method of piracy detection

Untitled.png

Looks like this is it. According to a tweet from SciresM, the latest 3DS firmware update 11.8 has ported the Nintendo Switch's piracy detection systems to the console. This strategy enables Nintendo to perfectly distinguish pirated and legit games going online and has been used before to detect and ban pirates on Switch. This is not something that can be avoided with homebrew. According to SciresM, Nintendo hasn't acted on 3DS pirates yet, but can choose to do so any time in the future.

Be careful, guys.

bluhacks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So hypothetically would you get banned if you have a out-of-region game like European WarioWare Gold installed on a US console if you update? Well at least I was smart enough to not update and create a NAND backup.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
So, should I just stay on 11.7? Smash 4 does not require latest system FW for online, and I don't think Pokemon USUM does either. And even if Pokemon USUM gets an update or two down the road, I can use FBI to install those updates, right?

You can stay on 11.7 for now, but if you want to play online you'll ultimately have to update in like a week.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont play online games but I do access FreeShop on 11.8 can I get banned?
If you download then yes. Theoretically the only way you won't get banned from downloading a .cia with your 3DS (as in downloading via CDN) would be if somebody makes a FreeShop alternative that downloads and installs games from a ROM site, or a private server that has the games on it but functions like the eShop. If you download from Nintendo's server theyllt check the ticket validity, see that you don't have the ticket, and ban you.

BhenBen_85

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If you download then yes. Theoretically the only way you won't get banned from downloading a .cia with your 3DS (as in downloading via CDN) would be if somebody makes a FreeShop alternative that downloads and installs games from a ROM site, or a private server that has the games on it but functions like the eShop. If you download from Nintendo's server theyllt check the ticket validity, see that you don't have the ticket, and ban you.

so i should stop downloading games from FreeShop? by the way if I download using Villanes3D and it need to sent seed ticket is there a chance of getting banned also?

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so i should stop downloading games from FreeShop? by the way if I download using Villanes3D and it need to sent seed ticket is there a chance of getting banned also?
If you use a titleID to get the ticket (like what you could do with CIAngel) then there's a chance. I haven't used Villanes3D though so I don't really know. If it pulls from the eShop you risk getting banned.

BhenBen_85

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If you use a titleID to get the ticket (like what you could do with CIAngel) then there's a chance. I haven't used Villanes3D though so I don't really know. If it pulls from the eShop you risk getting banned.

what will happened if I get banned? does my 3DS will not be usefull anymore? I wish I can just go back to 11.7 , I don really go online and when I am online its only to download games on FreeShop. I hope I wont get banned.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
what will happened if I get banned? does my 3DS will not be usefull anymore? I wish I can just go back to 11.7 , I don really go online and when I am online its only to download games on FreeShop. I hope I wont get banned.

Depending on the error code, if you get banned you can't play online, access your Friend List and / or access eShop. Not a big deal if you don't use any of those.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any method of disabling the system's update service? could be handy to not excidently allowing the system to updaet to 11.8
1. The system will never automatically update, it will only automatically download the update files.
2. You can block the system from automatically downloading the update files, by setting a custom DNS. This will however prevent you from playing games online, so you would have to turn auto-DNS back on. It's easier to just keep your wi-fi disabled until you actually need to go online.
3. The system only downloads the update if you leave it idle, including while in sleep mode. If the update gets downloaded, you can use FBI to delete the update files in order to get rid of the nagging.

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i can play online no problems and i have my updates blocked mario kart and monster hunter are no problems plus even if i do get banned i can undo it with ease Nintendo are powerless against me.

P

pasc

The 3DS's "library" isn't worth much to speak about anyhow...

So why do they bother anymore ?

The 3DS's been dead for 4 years now... who cares...

*fires up his GBA*

Last edited by ,
Reactions: goldensun87

ShadowtearX

Trophies
XP
Country
1. The system will never automatically update, it will only automatically download the update files.
2. You can block the system from automatically downloading the update files, by setting a custom DNS. This will however prevent you from playing games online, so you would have to turn auto-DNS back on. It's easier to just keep your wi-fi disabled until you actually need to go online.
3. The system only downloads the update if you leave it idle, including while in sleep mode. If the update gets downloaded, you can use FBI to delete the update files in order to get rid of the nagging.

Thanks for the information.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...